Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

camping site directories ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: camping site directories ? Reply with quote

Yes yes I know I can search teh net, and I have .

However I was looking at a couple of vids on You-Tube of people who just got up and went and then found camping sites upon arrival of where-ever they were.
This got me thinking about my next little/tiny tour.

So where ever I go, I will want somewhere to stay for the night/s.
After arriving where-ever that may be and not being able to find a site, I will want to look something up on the net.
I will take my I-pad and will have access to the net (hopefully).

My question to the Mighty BCF is what web sites do you lot look at to find camping sites? in Blighty Thumbs Up

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used pitchup.com recently, last month I found a nice site I went camping in and I've just got back from the lake district where I wild camped, but I did find a campsite not far away on tinterwebs in case there was nowhere suitable to pitch up. Thumbs Up

Just wing it, it's the UK, there's usually somewhere to go. You could hostel it if needs be. Usually though, just have a rough idea where you want to go, google "campsites near Leominster" for example and something is bound to pop up. I wouldn't advice camping in the immediate future though, unless you're hardy. I'm done now until Spring, I spent the whole weekend with completely numb feet and hands Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you peeps Thumbs Up

No Mr Flad, I am not going anywhere until next year now, especially sleeping in a tent Shocked Hand

Thank you Mr Shaggy, I have looked at that site, good to know others use it Thumbs Up

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag map to area you want and hit search at top/middle.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

Another option what i did. Last month i was in the Black Forrest. One day we spent to much time dicking about and no way we were reaching the next campsite by dark O'clock so set the sat navs POI's to only show camping and it worked as it should. We were 5 mins away from one but still had an hour so kept on driving and got another 50 miles or so further up the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:00 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: very camp Reply with quote

A while back someone recommended that I join a camping club for that very reason and I was quite reluctant to do so. In my mind I could envision cranky old farts with enormous caravans scowling at me as I rode into any of the campsites.

But after looking into it more I actually joined one and have discovered that there are some perks. For instance, a membership often means discounted prices and access to loads more sites than are available to the general public. And since most caravanners are cranky old farts they tend to disappear in the off seasons and you can get some really good uncrowded campsites then.

But it can also have a few drawbacks. For starters there's the yearly membership fees, and I have to say that even being a member of the club I have found myself riding into certain campsites and promptly turning around and riding back out again after being put off by the very hostile reception from the managers or the cranky old caravan farts already there who generally view anybody on a bike as a dangerous criminal and can't tolerate the thought of some sinister bastard in a TENT (!) within the same campsite as them and their yappy little shitting dogs (filthy sinister tent dwelling motorcycle neanderthals that they all are- string the lot of them up for the crows to eat!)

https://i64.tinypic.com/aytzlt.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be said, the camping and caravan club have an enormous number of small, well maintained campsites all round the country and have a book containing a map of them all. WHen I did the round Britain rally, I didn't book more than 24h ahead. Often just rocked up unless it was a weekend/school holiday.

Prices vary a lot but you can usually find somewhere for a fiver a night or so for the mor ebasic ones. Especially if you have a small tent (small being, less than 3 rooms by C&CC standards).

Many of the sites only have five pitches, there's a planning exemption for having a small campsite if it's member only.

They also list the ones located behind pubs...

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one I use now. And it was actually because somegingerbody told me you found them quite useful. I probably would never have bothered were it not for your roundabout reccommendation. I didn't know they had a book though. I should get that. I've got an app on my phone to locate them.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: very camp Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:

I have found myself riding into certain campsites and promptly turning around and riding back out again after being put off by the very hostile reception from the managers or the cranky old caravan farts already there who generally view anybody on a bike as a dangerous criminal and can't tolerate the thought of some sinister bastard in a TENT (!) within the same campsite as them and their yappy little shitting dogs.

https://i64.tinypic.com/aytzlt.jpg

Trueness of so true Laughing

Last edited by pepperami on 17:33 - 25 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 25 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I said, the camping and caravan club have an enormous number of small, well maintained campsites all round the country and have a book containing a map of them all.
They also list the ones located behind pubs...

It turns out my missus is still a member of the C&CC = result Thumbs Up

nerald
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:13 - 30 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Satnav look up Archies Camping and download the POI's to your device. If not they have a phone app that does something similar. Covers the whole of Europe or just the areas you require. Very small amount of data required so I use the whole of Europe. They are updated regularly as well.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 30 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

The Camping and Caravanning Club is excellent for such things - I've been a member for 29 years now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:13 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nerald suggests- Archies campsites..
https://www.archiescampings.eu/archiesapp/eng/
updated regularly and very useful
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1