Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another tyre recomendation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Another tyre recomendation Reply with quote

Hi

I'm using a little Suzuki en125 at the moment but I'm having trouble with the tyres. When I got it it had some Yugoslavian ones on that I changed a soon as I could , unfortunately I got some continentals - what a load of rap - I found that any time I was going round a corner and hit white writing/lines or manhole covers on the road it slid sideway , not a good feeling for confidance

So my question is what do you recommend considering a lot of the road I travel along have white writing/lines and manhole covers on dual carriages. The tyres are supposed to be front 80/90-18r rear 90/90-18r. I got 2.75 and 3.00 respectively in conti's which are easier to find.

So do I go with metzlers or is there something which will work better ?

Thanks guy's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just new tyre rubbish condition nerves then? I'd find it hard to believe the new tyres are making you more unsettled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this isn't just me. You can feel the back of the bike slide sideways under my butt when going round bends and going over the lines or manholes and I've had to put my foot down a couple of times as it's tried to disappear under me.

Adam
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; to get to a point where you're having to save slides with your foot out there's something very amiss - you wouldn't expect to do that with the cheap old crap that comes on YBR's for example, let alone a fairly premium tyre.

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry - on a different bike about 4 months ago on the same roads had no problems - that was on metzlers

dave-g - thanks.

just seeing if there are any that'll stand out.

P.S. forgot to say have been using the tyres for about 4-6 weeks

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metzeler me22 works well on my cg125. Grip well in all weather, no issue within reason with white lines and I don't baby it around.

Check wheel alignment and pressures are correct also. Rear shocks working? Sprayed chain oil on them accidentally? Smooth throttle control?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:10 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fitted Heidenau K66 tyres to my 125.

They grip well, and work quite well in the wet. Deep tread and a clever tread pattern helps here. There is also a winter tyre variant.

The downside is that they're incredible stiff tyres. Fitting them took me all day. They don't have as much feel as the cheap crossplies with soft sidewalls that were on there beforehand.

So I have more grip, but less feel.

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Just thought I'd let you know the result

I've ended up going for a pair of meztlers ME22 - 2.75 on the front and 3.25 on the rear. It's totally transformed the bike , I now don't have to worry anywhere near as much when I tip it into a corner.
Thanks for the help.

Adam
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1