BCF: Bike Chat Forums

which bike for new rider ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:19 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay I am with all you now. And have brought the budget for my first bike down to 2k now.

Sorry another daft question ... where do you guys normally buy your bikes from in or around London ?

Is auto trader reliable or should I go for specific showrooms etc?

Many Thanks,

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £2k budget - buy privately. Dealer 'peace of mind' extends as far as you riding off the forecourt and them telling you 'so what' on your first phone call back.

Very few dealers selling two grand bikes are going to GAF about returning custom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
where do you guys normally buy your bikes from in or around London ?

You'll really need to find out what going on in your area bike-wise and especially what options you have 'bike maintenance-wise' in your area. Ask any local biker you know or see where they get their bike serviced etc. Dealers are usually quite expensive but there are quite a few very knowledgeable bike mechanics around that are much cheaper. I moved away from London a couple of years back and got lucky in finding a great guy that I can now call 'a mate' and I value his opinion. If I was looking to buy something else then he'd be first call to see if he knows of any on his network.

You mention London but that's a big place (I lived there for near 50 years and it's definately big Laughing ), so if you could narrow it down a bit then you may get some recommendations.
Certainly wander round to any local bike shops / workshops. As with everything else, some you'll trust immediately, some you're immediately wary of and some you won't be sure about. But they may have some customer bikes for sale or be able to point you in the right direction.
Autotrader, Gumtree, local forums & facebook and the Bay of E, are all possibilities for buying. Usual caveats apply, that you should always view a bike first, never arrange to meet in iffy places (especially carrying cash), make sure the paperwork is for that bike and 100% correct etc etc.

But you need to spend time at dealers sitting on their expensive bikes to work out what is and what isn't comfortable for you, before you start trawling the private sellers.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:

OK, you're at about an 8 on the Sperg Scale. Maybe dial it down to a 3 or a 4.

Dealers don't have a monopoly on decent bikes. They may even have more than their fare share of traded-in lemons. Plenty of people get ripped off after paying a premium for that mythical "peace of mind".

In any case, you're getting way, way ahead of yourself. First, get your licence. Then, make up a short list of bikes based on what you like and dislike about your training bike.

This is the last time I'm going to write this for your benefit: bikes are not cars. It's not a case of reading some MCN reviews, comparing specs, and finding the best finance package.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2