Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fuel gauge - voltage or current?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Fuel gauge - voltage or current? Reply with quote

Does a fuel gauge work on voltage or current?

I know newer ones are probably CANBUS, but I've been asked about the feasibility of a custom dash on a couple of older, fighter'd bikes, oil cooled GSX, Z1000 and Z750 Turbo, Also if the kid likes it, the kids YBR (Go figure). The rest I'm fine with, but I realised I have zero idea on which principle a fuel gauge works.

Any pointers? I'm fine with electronics, it's just the principal that I have no idea about.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:06 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fuel guages I've looked at tend to have 3 wires, one earth, one constant 12v and the one from the sender (which is just a variable resistor) with a voltage between 0 and 12v depending on position.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:09 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle fuel guages run on lies, modulated by hearsay and guesswork.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Most fuel guages I've looked at tend to have 3 wires, one earth, one constant 12v and the one from the sender (which is just a variable resistor) with a voltage between 0 and 12v depending on position.

I had figured that as a likely way to do it. I'll just have to go over and get the meter out on the running bikes and see what's what before committing and buying material for them.

Carbon film tracks on pots would also explain the randomness of fuel gauges, but with 4 LED's (What they want), it's anyone's guess where it actually is.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be too hard a project to make an accurate fuel gauge - read the sender value with an Arduino (or PIC of choice), then output a corrected value to the display (gauge/LEDs/screen/whatever).
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the bikes in question already have fuel gauges? I only ask as I looked at the possibility of adding a fuel gauge to mine (rather than just a low level warning) and the difficult bit is adding a level sensor/sender.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YBR will have a working system, the kids bike is on the road and used daily. It'll be no problem to measure that.

The others are all without clocks, hence me being asked to do some custom ones. I've shown them everything from full digital race systems to cheapy Chinese, and they want none of them.

I'm not going to argue if I'm being paid for it, but I don't want to say "yeah, sure" and then realise I cant do a fuel gauge. I would assume they have senders of some type in them already.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older cheaper gauges I've come across usually worked on current.
Both temp and fuel gauge used this in opposite ways
The sender as a variable resistor where as the float drops, resistance lowers or rises ( usually in a non linear way)
and the increased/decreased current in the clock distorts a bimetal strip acting on the needle.

Early K series used a god awful thyristor array circuit where the only effect of this complexity was a light to warn you at low fuel levels

Voltage based gauges were basically expanded scale voltmeters
again with variable resistors in the tank

Out of interest and wondering if it could be done without drilling holes in tanks ( Nooooooooo!)
I did once make a gauge for my CX based on the slight pressure differences between full empty tanks read between tap and carb.
It worked !
MKI was a bit too sensitive and suffered from the slooshing about as the bike was ridden of course, so MKII had damping to smooth this out which helped.

By MkIII I was going to use a microcontroller to read and average the readings, but I'd lost interest by then

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to do one from scratch, a flex sensor attached to a float sounds about right. Even a basic PIC or Arduino should have plenty of oomph to display it on whatever you choose.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could trust the local scum to leave it alone, I'd like to steampunk the Enfield with some brass/glass arrangement :-

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/05/b6/7505b6b61d28c26a1086601b9ae4be94.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
If I could trust the local scum to leave it alone, I'd like to steampunk the Enfield with some brass/glass arrangement :-

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/05/b6/7505b6b61d28c26a1086601b9ae4be94.jpg

Why not have something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/9CIKPwS.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:04 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Why not have something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/9CIKPwS.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?

WELL... Thats a firery death just waiting to happen....

On my lexmoto I think its Volt, the divider built into the anilogue gauge is a beefy divider with high wattage.

On my Speedo Project its a volt meter, but to get an accurate reading you have to first set the low and high fuel points and the program then extrapolates levels.

The trouble is a volt meter without a voltage reference is unreliable as the mains voltage can fluctuate.

So in your project youll want to make a formula that reads the reference and put it against the reading on the input.

As for that formula... I can let you know. When i work it out myself Very Happy Im not at that bit of my project yet.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
So in your project youll want to make a formula that reads the reference and put it against the reading on the input.

As for that formula... I can let you know. When i work it out myself Very Happy Im not at that bit of my project yet.

Screw a formula, sodding about with float arm angle in an irregular container shape - just start with an empty tank, and record the reading after adding a litre each time, stick it in an array.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ^^^^^

Empty tank, 1 trimmer per led, fill it by one "segment" and adjust the trimmer accordingly. Trimmers aren't exactly expensive, and it's a one-time calibration.
I'll regulate the line to 12v, and bung in something like an LM339 (per 4 LED's), and bob's your mothers brother.

Just waiting on parts now, I'll mock the fuel gauge up. I have a spare sender with the same resistance range.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bimetal (current)type gauges have the built in advantage of reacting slowy
to current/heat changes which damps out the effect of the float bobbing about when riding.
Most use a regulator of around 7-8V as well

If you're going to read/display a voltage alone I doubt you'll get steady readings

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once we've proven the principle, we're going to put it on his Lads YBR first. That'a a standard 8-10/390-400ohm sender as far as I can determine, so we'll prototype based on that. I could pop it all on a µC via a voltage divider and "damp" the input, but it's massive overkill really. If sloshing is really problematic, we'll do that.

I have a few µ's and Comparator's kicking around the house, just waiting on pots really.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:02 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh fair do's if your making it just for your bike... on my project im building it as if its going to be a universal jobby...

Sure its not going to be 100% accurate but as you said irregular tank and float.

I noticed at least on my tank theres about a 6th of a tank left when the fuel float is at empty position and when at full theres still a good 2 6ths left to go on my tank.

As for filtering out the noisy volt read wth a float bobbing about... You take several readings... Say 10 or 20. Then average them out. Should filter most of the noise out.

Its how im doing the RPM reading. Adding a sample to an array and periodically add up and divide the results

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
ahh fair do's if your making it just for your bike... on my project im building it as if its going to be a universal jobby...

Not my bike, but they will be one-off's. He's got a very specific idea of what he wants, and his lad likes the idea of it as well, so he's being the Guinea Pig.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:13 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh
Im currently putting together a lightbox and UV exposure box... but I must admit i really want to get back on with my project... Ive not touched it in a couple of weeks.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sender is a variable resistor so in it's simplest form the gauge and sender form part of a voltage splitter circuit.

Looking at an old Fazer wiring schematic that seems to be the case, as the meter has only power and ground then a third wire goes through the sender to ground. With the float level high, resistance across the sender is low so the gauge gets more volts. As the fuel level drops resistance at the sender increases and gauge voltage reduces giving you a lower reading.

Usually sender resistance is very non-linear, presumably because the sender swings through a progressively wider arc as the fuel level drops. When the tank is full, taking out an inch of fuel level will cause the float to drop an inch. When the tank is near empty however, taking out an inch of fuel can cause several inches swing of the float arm. How well this is accounted for in the design will determine how accurate the gauge is.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The sender is a variable resistor so in it's simplest form the gauge and sender form part of a voltage splitter circuit.

Looking at an old Fazer wiring schematic that seems to be the case, as the meter has only power and ground then a third wire goes through the sender to ground. With the float level high, resistance across the sender is low so the gauge gets more volts. As the fuel level drops resistance at the sender increases and gauge voltage reduces giving you a lower reading.

Usually sender resistance is very non-linear, presumably because the sender swings through a progressively wider arc as the fuel level drops. When the tank is full, taking out an inch of fuel level will cause the float to drop an inch. When the tank is near empty however, taking out an inch of fuel can cause several inches swing of the float arm. How well this is accounted for in the design will determine how accurate the gauge is.

I appreciate it's non-linear, which is why I'll be putting a trimmer on each line, so it can be adjusted to suit actual, real-world levels. There's not point in uber accuracy, 4 LED's can only display with an accuracy of 12.5% anyway, but a linear response is needed.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:06 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough sneezes and farts...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-52mm-Fuel-Meter-LED-Digital-Display-Fuel-Gauge-For-Car-Motorcycle-DC12V-/201388391024?hash=item2ee3aefa70:g:Rw8AAOSwQItUGm~7

I mean sure its not making it yourself but, given the price it might be worth buying one and taking it apart to see what its doing as well...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill tank to brim, ride 100 miles, fill tank to brim. Divide miles by litres used then multiply by tank capacity. This will give your full-tank range. Reset trip meter every time you fill up.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said they had a look online for weeks, and saw nothing they like, and they're specific with what they want. They're paying for it, so who am I to argue? If they want 4 LED's, they get 4 LED's.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1