Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What sealant for two stroke cases?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: What sealant for two stroke cases? Reply with quote

Looking for experienced opinions on what case sealant to use for the bottom end of a two stroke engine, I used Bond-Loc (Loc Tite copy) 518 last time but I'm not fully convinced it's fuel resistant even though the data sheet states that it is.

Three Bond 1184 is in the running at the minute but are there any other options? A lot of people sing about 1211 but you have to pay through the nose for it and there's a lot of talk about old stock floating around.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Bond or Kawabond if you can get it (virtually the same stuff).

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd chime in Laughing

Any idea which Three bond is equivalent to the yama/Honda/kawabond? Some say its 1211, someday it's 1104/1194 or the replacement 1184.

I assume a lot of it is academic or opinion, it's on a lightly tuned jetski engine that won't go more than a season without coming apart if that makes any difference.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use permatex ultracopper spray. Take a bit of time to mask off the rest of the casing internals but it's a great sealant and goes on perfectly uniformly with no squeeze-out.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not considered that although I'll be picking a tin up as it seems to be the done thing to give the head gaskets on these a coat of permatex before they go on.

Have you done this with success on strokers? Oh and I've still got that 6 jaw to post to you, little bit late but I'll get it boxed up and sent before I go back to work Embarassed

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I used it to rebuild Paddy's NSR a few years ago. Done a couple of other stroker's too.

I don't think you'll find that copper spray in the UK any more. The last one I bought I got from Poland off eBay.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what the Loctite equivalent is but I have always used Yamabond, the light grey stuff. Used it on everything from rebuilding TZ engine 3 times a year to a VTR Honda, even used it to seal a leaky radiator joint in the house!

OGR

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just braved the shed full of shit here, I'm using Three Bond 1215 at the moment.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to swear by 3 bond(grey) for the race bikes..RGV250's with UL or avgas 10 years ago but tried it on a piddly RD125lc about 6 years ago and it melted on regular pump fuel Sad and I mean melted like blue hylomar!!

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:53 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the replies, after a fair bit of time reading what I've found is;

Three Bond 1104 was superseded by 1194 which was superseded by 1184 which is the current Yamabond 4/Kawabond/Suzukibond/Ducatibond etc and it is a flexible rubber based sealant.

Threebond 1215 is an RTV silicone sealant which is a viable alternative although some people assume any kind of silicone based case sealant will result in seizures/blockages/fiery death.

Ended up ordering the 1184 and Permatex copper for the gaskets (Pete; same stuff as from Poland, there's a UK supplier on eBay at the minute for 17 quid to the door), if there's any interest I'll update this thread when I split the cases to see how the BondLoc(Loctite) 518 has held up over the past year and load of abuse.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1