Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tips on how to corner a motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blankety blank
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Tips on how to corner a motorbike Reply with quote

I recently just got my first bike a Yamaha YBR 125 after riding for 2 weeks i went around a corner at 40mph in a 50 zone and came off into a ditch braking a few bones and making the bike a write off. The road was wet and slightly murky but I don't think I should of came off even with that. I feel that I did everything correctly but I feel when I go around corners I sometimes differ to one side more. When I'm able to ride my new bike a Honda CBF 125 how should I corner? What's a good way to make sure I do this all correctly especially with a 125 as the wheels are thinner.

Last edited by Blankety blank on 02:59 - 20 Dec 2016; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:43 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your head up and look where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid. You almost certainly ran off the corner because you looked at the ditch/kerb rather than the exit of the corner. *

Corner under power.

Any more and you're overthinking.

* I like to visualise a line on the road running ahead of me that I'm reeling in, a bit like a lighcycle off the film Tron but in reverse.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike in good shape i.e tyres..pressures..etc

Brake before the corner and be in a responsive gear.

Position for safety first and if it allows position for best view.
You can't always take the best line.
Keep your head up and keep relaxed...scan ahead. You're allowed to move your head Wink Give the bike just enough throttle to pull you through the bend.

If you understand countersteering: If you(we) have misjudged the corner an extra push on the bar and a drop of the shoulder will help you tighten the line through it. I've had success using a little rear brake but finds it worked better at slower speeds and very tight corners.

Check out this chap's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/advancedbiker
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:16 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Tips on how to corner a motorbike Reply with quote

Blankety blank, posting as JamHam5293 wrote:
I recently just got my first bike a Yamaha YBR 125 after riding for 2 weeks i went around a corner at 40mph in a 50 zone and came off into a ditch braking a few bones and making the bike a write off. The police and whitenesses said the road conditions were bad and I wasn't to blame, that I did everything correctly but I feel when I go around corners I differ to one side more. When I'm able to ride my new bike a Honda CBF 125 how should I corner? What's a good way to make sure I do this all correctly especially with a 125 as the wheels are thinner

The stock tyres on various vintages of YBR are notoriously ropey, but did you actually lowside the bike?

At a wild guess, you lost confidence, looked at the landscape, and ended up in it.

Look where you want to go, lean more.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird why did they edit their original post?

The differing cornering from one side to the other can be because you're gripping the throttle too hard, which makes right-handers more difficult. If you loosen your grip on the bars you corner a lot better.

Also the YBR has skinny tyres which doesn't help (with ditch finding Wink).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:48 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
That's weird why did they edit their original post?

Just the usual "it wuzn't me wut dun it it muts have been diesel-ice-gravel-salt-and-vinegar".

Isn't going to believe that it was an unforced error, will probably play it again, Sammy.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tips can be found in thread about four below titled

tips on cornering

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317115

I will even post a link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:26 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
tips can be found in thread about four below titled

tips on cornering

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317115

I will even post a link

It's about the same bike too Doh!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now half the fun of this forum's the repetition... right?

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limit of the road is quite irrelevant if the roads surface is a mess especially if you're on crap tyres.more caution less byklyf innit.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have panicked look at the ditch and gone there. Or panicked hit the front brake and gone in the dicth.

You do not need tips. You need training.

I suggest you learn countersteering. If you have learned and trained how to corner does not matter where you will be looking.

You can look at the sky and still will be able to corner fine.

Try this: https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

Until you learn steering try to slow down before the corners. In corner you may use gentle rear brake until you learn trail braking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn how steering works on a bicycle. If you have the bars in a death grip you go straight on. Let the bars move and push when you need to make a correction. Push the right bar away from you momentarily to initiate a right turn. Depending on lean angle and bike geometry you may end up taking the corner with the bars thereabouts straight or noticeably turned to one side.

The only bike I've owned where steering angle was perceptible was an XV535 (non-virago branded drag bar variant), the raked out geometry of which made the bars move a lot.

I nearly stacked a 125 a few times before I had this down and tried to panic steer which stood me up some.

Don't grab a handful of front brake when it's too late. It won't help and front brake will stand you up, needing more counter-steering and placing a large traction demand on the front tyre. Trail braking helps experienced racers, you are not one.

Back brake will slow you down a little and tighten your turn, but don't stamp on it.

Better is to always be able to stop (given your braking ability) in the amount of road you can see to be clear ahead of you. Slow down, treating the corner as an obstruction until you can see where it goes.

Speed limit is not necessarily a safe speed through a corner, especially on an NSL road.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, you need to acknowledge you were going too fast for your ability and conditions. You've only been riding a short period of time and haven't yet developed a naturalness to your riding. Things you do on a bike don't just happen, you have to think about it. Learn from this and in future, take it easy.

It might be a good idea to have proper lessons - assuming you are riding on L plates at the moment? The lessons will no doubt make you a safer rider with the added benefit of you being able to ditch those L plates and buy a proper bike when you've passed.

Finally, read up on target fixation and counter steering.

Good luck and I hope you recover quickly Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:23 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally just ride round the corner, taking into account speed, weather and traffic conditions.

You don't have to take every corner balls-out, by the way. If you do you'll fuck one up eventually.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You don't have to take every corner balls-out, by the way. If you do you'll fuck one up eventually.

At certain corners I have to stop and put my balls away?

I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:40 - 31 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Tips on how to corner a motorbike Reply with quote

Blankety blank wrote:
The road was wet and slightly murky

Well on my CBF125 I wouldn't corner at 40 mph on a tight bend in the dry in August. And I've only been riding a month. Wink

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:18 - 01 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP seems to have left the building... Arrow

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:50 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

I suggest you learn countersteering. If you have learned and trained how to corner does not matter where you will be looking.

Try this: https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

Thanks for that link - interesting and York isnt far from me. I'll give them a ring at some point.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:56 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule....
Don't corner at the speed the road suggests as max speed.
Don't corner at the speed you think your bike is capable of either

The only thing you can do, is corner at the speed YOU can

Just because Marc Marquez could probably corner my bike at 150mph doesn't mean I should try it, What makes him look cool will kill me.

as others have said 125cc tyres are infamous for slipping out sideways when you least expect it.... I know only too well mine did it several times before I learned to roll off the throttle a bit more before bends.

Slow into a corner, then keep the throttle steady as you lean through the bend. Put throttle back on as the bike stands up exiting the bend.

Experience is best and the only way to get that is by getting miles under your belt, things will become more natural and corners will feel smoother as time goes on.... this will all improve your confidence too.

Good luck Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Harsh rules dude. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1