Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is 60 miles per day on a 125cc Motorcycle doable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:12 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Is 60 miles per day on a 125cc Motorcycle doable? Reply with quote

Hello all.
The subject pretty much says it all!

I've just come off my 2002 CBR600f and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a write off. I need to get a new bike ASAP.
I'm not really fussed what I get as I will be doing 300 miles per week.

I loved my CBR but it was heartbreaking coming back to the public bike bay where I parked it and finding new dents and scratches!

I'm not fussed about style points anymore as it is just going to be a commuter tool. I just want to buy a bike for as cheap as possible.

Any ideas if I could get away with a 125cc?
I do about
6 miles in Central London
9 miles on a 40mph road (slow filtering in the morning)
13 miles on a 60mph road
2 miles on a country lane

The bike will be run into the ground so I want to spend as less as possible!

Thanks for any advice.

Steve.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doable yes definitely, pleasant? Not even fucking close.

My commute is only around 9 miles of NSL roads with a little town riding at each end and a couple of months of that on a 125 was enough to drive me to get my full licence.

Any reason you're looking at a 125? You should be able to pick up a big winter hack bike for the same price or even less than you'd pay for a 125 if you look around.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why run into the ground, get a Varadero 125, fuel injected, be fine for 60 miles a day.

However, so would an ER6 or an SV650, which can be had for similar pricing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Is 60 miles per day on a 125cc Motorcycle doable? Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:
Hello all.
The subject pretty much says it all!

I've just come off my 2002 CBR600f and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a write off. I need to get a new bike ASAP.
I'm not really fussed what I get as I will be doing 300 miles per week.

I loved my CBR but it was heartbreaking coming back to the public bike bay where I parked it and finding new dents and scratches!

I'm not fussed about style points anymore as it is just going to be a commuter tool. I just want to buy a bike for as cheap as possible.

Any ideas if I could get away with a 125cc?
I do about
6 miles in Central London
9 miles on a 40mph road (slow filtering in the morning)
13 miles on a 60mph road
2 miles on a country lane

The bike will be run into the ground so I want to spend as less as possible!

Thanks for any advice.

Steve.

Wouldn't something like a ninja 250 or similar be much better, 250s are still economical and whatnot.

Someone I know was doing 60 miles daily on his yzf 125 - he had to quit his job after a few weeks cause it's too much, I have a feeling that if you get a 125 you'll run it into the ground much quicker than a 250 too.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:45 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check them out.
I was thinking 125 because there seems to be lots of cheap ones around me compared to bigger bikes. Plus they are lighter to pick up when you hit some ice and ram into a parked car like I did this morning!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Is 60 miles per day on a 125cc Motorcycle doable? Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

Steve.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317490

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:49 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's broken on your CBR600?

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:56 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CaNsA

I've bent the front forks, front wheel and disc.
Then it's just cosmetic cracked fairing and scratches.

My insurance company said if the damage is over £1,200 they will probably write it off, my mechanic thinks it will be.
I'll interested in buying it back if the offer is not to silly!

They said they will probably pay me out about £1,650 minus my £350 excess. That's why I don't want to spend a lot.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-G wrote:
What about a GPZ 500?

That. ^^^^^

It has some personality. Soulless but reliable and cheap gets you ER-5/ER-6, SV650's.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:46 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll see if there are any GPZ 500 going near me.
I used to have an ER-5. Soul less is a good choice of word!
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take soulless over hard work though

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not pick up eBay bits and get your CBR back on the road - no insurance needed? I'm thinking future premium increases, and the £350 excess you're looking st anyhow...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:23 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:
Thank you. I'll see if there are any GPZ 500 going near me.
I used to have an ER-5. Soul less is a good choice of word!

Pretty much the same engine Neutral Hence the ER6 or SV, not exactly on-fire but you'll get a bit more for the money.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:31 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Could you not pick up eBay bits and get your CBR back on the road - no insurance needed? I'm thinking future premium increases, and the £350 excess you're looking st anyhow...

That's my plan if I can buy the bike back, but my train fare is £350 per month so the quicker I get back on the road the more I save.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:39 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than looking for any particular models, browse eBay / gumtree / adtrader / other local freeads and find yourself something that's in alright condition.

Right now the only criteria seems to be that it needs to be better than the trains which should mean you've got a good number of bikes to choose between.

Thumbs Up

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an NTV 650 for sale in London on Gumtree for £500, no MOT!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30miles each way s do-able if you are hardy enough; I used to do 50'ish each way when I was younger, suppler and dumber.... not so sure I'd be enthralled trying to do that 'chore' these days on anything, irrespective of capacity TBH, but it's your ass kimo-sabi!

As to the notion of a 'cheap' 125.. yeah, that might be a little bit optimistic. 2nd had they command the Learner-Loading, both to buy and insure, so you don't tend to get best value fro them; whilst so many suffer so badly in the world of learners and commuters run into the ground on a shoe string and optimism. Attractive mpg tends to get damped by ragging them every where to get anywhere, and only true savings tend to be on the consumables like tyres and chains, so 'All in' economics wont automatically work in your favor, and a 500 commuter twin is likely to come close £ per mile.

For ultimate miser miling; something like an old Honda CD200 Benly is probably as bic-biro cheap to run as you'll likely get; with 125 like performance & fuel consumption & service spares, but a healthy 'hole' in the insurance loading, and 2nd hand prices where any-one with a licence to ride one doesn't really want one! But finding anything not in dire maintenence over draft that's been run into the ground for a decade on gaffer tape and good wishes, could be a challenge!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else says, It's possible but it wouldn't be anywhere close to enjoyable (maybe better during the summer though).
There are loads of 500/550/600/650cc bikes around which are a better option than wearing out a 125.
They're more comfortable and more stable with better 'road presence'.

Again as mentioned previously, just scour gumtree etc etc for cheap bikes and something will jump out at you locally.
Don't listen to others about this or that bike being crap, as your only real interest is that it's reasonably reliable.
Bikes like 650NVT, XF650, SLR650 and KLH500 aren't fashionable or fast but they should do that journey better than a 125.
Good luck.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your numbers sound familiar, MCE perchance? If it was tatty to begin with I expect they will value your bike under the 1200 cut off for the excess wavier, in which case they wont pay a penny.

CBR6 is not the cheapest bike to run, but I'd say its one of the best commuters especially for distance. To buy another is not that expensive. Im doing 70 miles a day and it would easily take twice as long on a 125 Shocked

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:33 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste is correct. Don't go looking for any particular bike, just look for anything that fits a fairly wide range of parameters.

I'm not sure of the current situation, but when I sold my VFR750 a few months ago I got pretty poor money for it. Older big bikes just weren't selling, you could have your pick for about £700. Conversely, 125s were attracting quite strong money.

So if you want a cheap hack to run into the ground, get something big, old, and ugly. When something expensive fails, stick it on ebay as a spares or repair (people always overpay for a project) and buy another beater.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_ wrote:

Maybe £300 all-in from eBay. If the rest of it is in good nick, I'd suggest that paying to retain it and resurrecting it might be your cheapest option. You should even end up with cash in hand.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
steve_ wrote:

Maybe £300 all-in from eBay. If the rest of it is in good nick, I'd suggest that paying to retain it and resurrecting it might be your cheapest option. You should even end up with cash in hand.

^^^ This.

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:36 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do see some bargains popping up on the bike bay page on Facebook, could easily grab a cheap and cheerful but half decent 600 or something on there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3