Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone been to Ireland after some help on the West.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Anyone been to Ireland after some help on the West. Reply with quote

I've always wanted to go to Ireland so I'm planning on taking a week and going for a visit with York train museum on the way back. Now I've kinda worked out the time that I'll be going which is the week 19th June.

I've included a few places that I want to visit myself. However I'm stuck on the West of Ireland. Just wondering if anyone with any insight could suggest any places that would be worth visiting. It's a touring and exploring not a rush. I'm after good abandoned Monasteries, castles, abbeys or anything that's photogenic and keen on the eye.

1 day Bristol to the ferry across to cronies followed by killarney
2nd day Killarney to mid ireland
3rd day portrush + Giants causeway
4th day dublin and guinness factory
5th day york train station
6th day Bristol

I could remove York for more of Ireland but I've wanted to go for the last two years and never made it. Could be done on a long weekend possibly though. That's if I can find some inspiration for more of Ireland. I've also decided I won't be camping and I'll be staying at B&B's.

Looking forward to any helpful replies.

https://i.imgur.com/TdH7Rzx.png

Last edited by TheSmiler on 08:38 - 03 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in your shoes, I'd follow the west coast up to Donegal and only then go around NI to Dublin. Basically, do a clockwise loop around the island, and skip the middle.

Ireland is basically a bog surrounded by hills and low, rocky mountains. Unlike most islands, the further inland you go, the flatter and less interesting it is.

I spent four years in college in Athlone; the joke is I studied in the dead centre of Ireland.

The west coast has wild Atlantic scenery, a bit like the Scottish Highlands, but with more civilisation (in particular, more petrol stations) and probably slightly better weather.

Ireland is also a small island. It's perfectly possible to ride from Kerry in the south all the way to Donegal in a single day, so I don't think your schedule is too tight.

Galway, the place I grew up, is a party town. Worth a stop if that's what you're after.

For monastery ruins, see e.g. Cong Abbey in Mayo.

Menlo castle (in reality the ruin of a country manor) is a short walk from the cottage I grew up. There are similar ruins from the old Protestant Ascendancy throughout Ireland, if you keep your eyes open.

This is a fine list of destroyed Anglo-Irish country houses. Ruins aplenty.

The most famous monastic ruin in Ireland is Clonmacnoise, near Athlone - not on your route. But being the most famous also means it's the most touristed. Also, the centre of Ireland is boring, so it stands out.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply barkell sorry I never replied sooner I've edited the plan as you can see here. I've included Menlo castle as that does look very interesting thank you for that. I'll avoid the middle if it's as you say it is. I'll be looking to see if there are any other stop off's to be had along the way. There was a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) I'm planning on doing this trip on the whim it will more than likely be on bike but at this rate it might unfortunately be in car depends on health. So if it is on bike do you know if most places are rather full in Ireland in June Question Or is it possible to find a selection available Question

2) I'm basing this on a week trip now I'm thinking a week might be a bit too long I'm doing a day in Dublin as I want to take in the murals around the city. However would you cut the time down by any or change the plan around much Question

https://i.imgur.com/uICvDeP.png

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I be looking to do some of the smaller roads and places out in to West Co Cork and further north out into Conemara (SP) towards Westport maybe Ackle(SP) Ireland

I toured the west coast fr the first time in 1999 in a car liked it so much back on a bike for the next few years and to see the Friends I was in a car with when they moved to West Cork !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:04 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the ring of Kerry is a decent route, could stretch over to that bit if you wanted to.

jowettdriver
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:01 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Heard the ring of Kerry is a decent route, could stretch over to that bit if you wanted to.

Depends on the time of year, in my experience during the summer months its one long procession of coaches that don't exceed 25 mph. Rather ruins the otherwise breathtaking scenery.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first route, the bit from Rosslare to Dublin is pretty much the route I did last June (including ring of Kerry). Very scenic with the sea always on the left and then the middle bit was nice too, sun shone, very little traffic, no speed cameras.

Some of the road surfaces can be fun Rolling Eyes
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

KTMTony
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further south you go in Ireland the better it gets. I've lived in Caherciveen for two years and then Tralee for about 6 years. Killarney national park is beautiful and the ring of Kerry if you have time. Just be wary of tourist busses depending on when you go. Dingle peninsula is great too. It's hard to get it all in just depends how long you plan for but I'd suggest whatever you don't see this trip plan another. I'm heading down that way again end of April so I'll be covering most of that. People are great pubs are awesome and personally I'd ditch York for more of Ireland. Very Happy

Also just remember the Guarda can now endors points to U.K. Licenses. For years it was only a fine but times change.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The misses is from Mayo so have spent a bit of time in the West/North West. Its a beaut part of the world imo

Haven't taken the bike out there yet, but the area around Sligo/Strandhill in Sligo is fantastic scenery with nice roads. Same again in the Westport area of Mayo. Finally, Clifden down towards Galway through the Connemara hills is brilliant.

I'd sacrifice time around Dublin and the east for more on the west if it were me.

Going to ferry my bike out there at some point this year for a big loop.

TheCherryCore
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:00 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most scenic roads in the south and west are at the very-very coast (not marked on your map). Also, very rural and narrow; hills are full of sheep and tourist cars (sometimes driving in the opposite lanes...) especially in summer.
Cork to Waterford is quite quick (though just boring), so will be main roads. To go on the coastal roads, multiply time by 3.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1