Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

losing power in 5th gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Damon001
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:10 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: losing power in 5th gear Reply with quote

Hey, i bought a lexmoto adrenaline 125 for christmas. I was going down a road and no one was around and i hadn't felt what power the bike had yet (not that it would have that much anyway) so i went through all the gears on this road and noticed in gear 5, at about 8k rpm's the bike started to lose power and drop in revs, think its called bogging down or something? correct me if im wrong. But yeah, im not sure on what to look for or anything. Any advice would be grateful and thanks in advance!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast were you going? You're never going to have much acceleration in top gear on a learner 125. Are you sure it was bogging, or was it just going baaawwwwww and not really accelerating?

Get out onto a fast road (60), rev it up through the gears and only change into 5th when you're up to 55ish. If it suddenly loses power and the bike lurches forward, report back. It still won't accelerate much at that speed but you should be able to maintain 60.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon001
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
How fast were you going? You're never going to have much acceleration in top gear on a learner 125. Are you sure it was bogging, or was it just going baaawwwwww and not really accelerating?

Get out onto a fast road (60), rev it up through the gears and only change into 5th when you're up to 55ish. If it suddenly loses power and the bike lurches forward, report back. It still won't accelerate much at that speed but you should be able to maintain 60.

Hey, I think i was going about 50-55, then into 5th gear, got up to about 60 like you said, but then all of a sudden the revs started dropping, i couldnt maintain the speed it just started dropping and i didn't want to carry on cause i didnt know what was happening.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top gear can be a bit like an overdrive on a lot of small bikes,and you might only get to use it with a tail wind or long slight downhill especially if you are more than about ten stone Razz
Maybe someone changed the sprockets in an effort to increase top speed?
If it doesn't get any worse that's probably just how it is.

Some cars are rather similar and you can only get into top when at a decent cruising speed about 70mph - better economy on motorways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon001
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:25 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Top gear can be a bit like an overdrive on a lot of small bikes,and you might only get to use it with a tail wind or long slight downhill especially if you are more than about ten stone Razz
Maybe someone changed the sprockets in an effort to increase top speed?
If it doesn't get any worse that's probably just how it is.

Some cars are rather similar and you can only get into top when at a decent cruising speed about 70mph - better economy on motorways.

Oh right okay, but it feels as if the bike is slowing down when i get upto around the 8k mark. While im here, what could i do to the bike to make it faster? I know its only a 125 and people are just going to say get a bigger bike but i enjoy being on a 125 tbh so i dont wanna change yet, i wanna get my hands dirty and do some upgrades with it. I know that you can get a 150cc or 180cc big bore kit, is there anything else?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:19 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without riding it, we can't be sure, but it's possible that you're just being phucked by physics.

<Tef>

When you changed up to 5th, the revs had to drop to match whatever road speed you were doing. Problem is, your engine makes its peak power at 9,500 rpm. If it wasn't making enough power at 8K to overcome your drag (which is related to your velocity squared), then slow down you shall until power = drag.

Rev it right out in 4th and only then change up. Other than that, you could consider tinkering with the gearing. Shortening it (going down a tooth on the front sprocket) might make 5th more usable, at the cost of requiring more frequent gear changing - and you'll always be in the wrong gear anyway, read on.

Conversely, going up a tooth on the front might extend the speed of 4th, while hopefully still leaving it a shorter and more usable gear than your stock 5th, which you can just forget about. No guarantees, it's not an exact science, and the slightest incline or headwind will still stuff you anyway.

</Tef>

The bad news is regarding that Suzuki engine of which yours is a (carbed) copy. Previously, I wrote, and still stick by:

Rogerborg wrote:
The worst engine I have ever experienced, bar none. Gutless, dull, wheezy, apologetic. You'll be on full throttle the entire time, rowing up and down the box seeking - but never finding - the right gear. It feels like it's got a rev limiter; it doesn't, it's just wimpy. I thought I'd got a bad 2008 one, so tried a 2011 model and it was exactly the same.

You can throw money at it if you like, but any gains will be marginal, imaginary, or negative. An oil change and getting your chain tension and tyre pressures spot on is as likely to help.

I can only see 150cc kits that might fit that engine, i.e. a Suzuki GS/GN/EN 125, or a 157FMI, although approach with caution as the completely different CG125 copy-engine can also be coded as 157FMI. Any 180 "Lexmoto" kits I can find are for the GY6 scooter engine.

You're aware that increasing the capacity beyond 125 means that you're riding otherwise than in accordance with your license and you might as well be on a Hypermotard 939, yes?

Sorry to golden shower on your parade, but your engine is designed to be simple, reliable and easy to maintain, not to pump out more than a modest 11hp, if that.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my CG125 I hardly ever use 5th unless on a level road with no wind and in a straight line or it starts to slow down a bit. It's only really any use as an overdrive gear. Slightest hill or strong wind and it begins to struggle. You really have to rev it right up high in 4th before changing.

Mine isn't as bad as what you're describing but I suspect it's for the same reason rather than a mechanical issue.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vanvan 125 was like that in 6th gear

the 200 only has 5 gears
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:44 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar to what what happening with my XTRS...

Turned out the suggestions of tight tappets was correct. Its running a lot better...

I know we have different bikes. but maybe its the same problem? The tappets too tight/closed...

As for gears... I find myself using 5th gear a lot... even at lower speeds like 30-40 as my bike plods along at lower revs happily and its more efficient with the petrol... Very Happy Does that put too much strain on parts of the bike?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Does that put too much strain on parts of the bike?

You should be able to tell, if it feels snatchy or you can't gently change speed using only the throttle because it's labouring, it's not doing things any good.
You want to be in a 'responsive' gear - that will vary from bike to bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how little "response" I could batter out of that engine (in genuine Suzuki form), you might be as well just nursing it along in 5th. Whistle

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
the vanvan 125 was like that in 6th gear

Same as my R125 (RIP). 6th gear was useless 99.8% of the time and would actually slow you down more often than not, unless you found a nice long hill to ride down.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:59 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Turned out the suggestions of tight tappets was correct. Its running a lot better...

Yeah could be the tappets they need adjusting roughly every 1000 miles on 125's. Gonna need to check mine soon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1