Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

Hi all - long time lurker first time poster.

I'm 28, aerospace engineer at BAE,

Got the bug a year ago after riding pillion on my mates zzr in ride the lights down Bpool front. I bought a CB650F the next day, brand new, with a free DAS course the main reason. Can't ride the bike off the forecourt until i have my full license however

Been riding about 6 months, after passing my CBT and theory a year ago.
Long story short he gave me a J reg CG125 to learn on, with the premise that if i fix it i can use it then give it back to him. The electrics were mangled so i left it with a mate who worked at a local garage to get fixed. 5 months later - yes 5 months later i had the bike fixed and ready. (dont even ask)

Never having ridden a bike before I (stupily i guess) decided to book my DAS course after only riding the CG 2 weekends.

loved the rides out on day 1. slow manouvres on day 2 were iffy, would not get the hang of the fig 8 on the bigger bike (600 gladius).

day 3 was Mod1 - didnt even make it past the slalom - went too slow, stalled and 'placed' the bike down on a cone. test over. shock to me as i'd passed car test first time with only 2 lessons at 17.

waiting time for mod 1 is ~1 month,

2nd Mod 1 - stalled twice on the fig 8, but determined not to drop the bike i made it round (having the fight the bike upright sometimes! must have been quite a sight). Went wide on the u-turn. rest of the test perfect.

3rd mod1- booked an hour of practise the day before, as well as an hour before the test... went perfectly, did mock test 4 times in a row no problem.
test - didnt have my license as it hadnt been returned form the police for a speeding offence (id sent it off after my last mod 1 over 7 weeks previous!!) completely forgot as my license is *always* in my wallet lost my £100 fee for test + bike hire

4th mod 1- knocked last cone over on the slalom, head went and did the fig8 super tight. dropped the bike on the last bit of it. test over

5th mod1 - booked an hour the day before - dropped the bike during practise. test - instructor had told me id need to pay for the damage i had caused to the bike yesterday ~£100 for a new clutch handle and rear brake light case, not good prep! only fault on the test was ever so slightly wide on the u-turn. fuming to say the least (still my fault i know)

6th Mod1 - pass! minor for a missed lifesaver on the u-turn i think

my main problem was the time in between tests - over a month sometimes 8-10 weeks in between tests. Really hard to get used to a big bike when u cant really ride it apart from (expensive) lessons. (for my car test id gone our everyday with my dad). the CG i had of my mate was pretty diabolical tbh, very beat up and unable to use at night due to very dodgy electronics (headlight dodgy as feck!).

Slow speed manouevring with the bike was so much different to the 125, was very hard to change ur emphasis when the weight of the bike is probably 3 times heavier!

Never had any problem with the cornering or swerve, passed first time every time on the ones i made it to!

Mod 2 training is on sat and test is on weds - im quietly confident of a first time pass - been driving 10 years and quite confident on the road.

For anyone else reading who's feeling dissheartened with Mod1 fails - dont give up! if it wasnt for my instructor telling me i was a decent rider and he was baffled why i kept failing i wouldnt have done my 6th! well, 5th actual attempt!

Ash

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been riding a 125 for a few years before sitting my tests.

It took three attempts before I managed to pass mod 1 on a big bike. Embarassed

The most annoying thing for me was, when I'd practice the manoeuvres I'd get through them without any issue. Add an examiner into the equation though and I'd fall apart.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, a least you have a brand new 1 year old CB650F that you can't ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Hi all - long time lurker first time poster.

I'm 28, aerospace engineer at BAE,

Got the bug a year ago after riding pillion on my mates zzr in ride the lights down Bpool front. I bought a CB650F the next day, brand new, with a free DAS course the main reason. Can't ride the bike off the forecourt until i have my full license however

Been riding about 6 months, after passing my CBT and theory a year ago.
Long story short he gave me a J reg CG125 to learn on, with the premise that if i fix it i can use it then give it back to him. The electrics were mangled so i left it with a mate who worked at a local garage to get fixed. 5 months later - yes 5 months later i had the bike fixed and ready. (dont even ask)

Never having ridden a bike before I (stupily i guess) decided to book my DAS course after only riding the CG 2 weekends.

loved the rides out on day 1. slow manouvres on day 2 were iffy, would not get the hang of the fig 8 on the bigger bike (600 gladius).

day 3 was Mod1 - didnt even make it past the slalom - went too slow, stalled and 'placed' the bike down on a cone. test over. shock to me as i'd passed car test first time with only 2 lessons at 17.

waiting time for mod 1 is ~1 month,

2nd Mod 1 - stalled twice on the fig 8, but determined not to drop the bike i made it round (having the fight the bike upright sometimes! must have been quite a sight). Went wide on the u-turn. rest of the test perfect.

3rd mod1- booked an hour of practise the day before, as well as an hour before the test... went perfectly, did mock test 4 times in a row no problem.
test - didnt have my license as it hadnt been returned form the police for a speeding offence (id sent it off after my last mod 1 over 7 weeks previous!!) completely forgot as my license is *always* in my wallet lost my £100 fee for test + bike hire

4th mod 1- knocked last cone over on the slalom, head went and did the fig8 super tight. dropped the bike on the last bit of it. test over

5th mod1 - booked an hour the day before - dropped the bike during practise. test - instructor had told me id need to pay for the damage i had caused to the bike yesterday ~£100 for a new clutch handle and rear brake light case, not good prep! only fault on the test was ever so slightly wide on the u-turn. fuming to say the least (still my fault i know)

6th Mod1 - pass! minor for a missed lifesaver on the u-turn i think

my main problem was the time in between tests - over a month sometimes 8-10 weeks in between tests. Really hard to get used to a big bike when u cant really ride it apart from (expensive) lessons. (for my car test id gone our everyday with my dad). the CG i had of my mate was pretty diabolical tbh, very beat up and unable to use at night due to very dodgy electronics (headlight dodgy as feck!).

Slow speed manouevring with the bike was so much different to the 125, was very hard to change ur emphasis when the weight of the bike is probably 3 times heavier!

Never had any problem with the cornering or swerve, passed first time every time on the ones i made it to!

Mod 2 training is on sat and test is on weds - im quietly confident of a first time pass - been driving 10 years and quite confident on the road.

For anyone else reading who's feeling dissheartened with Mod1 fails - dont give up! if it wasnt for my instructor telling me i was a decent rider and he was baffled why i kept failing i wouldnt have done my 6th! well, 5th actual attempt!

Ash

You have a good job so I'm not entirely sure why, if you were having so much trouble, you didn't just spend a grand on a 125 and practice all this shit until you could do it blindfolded with all the slow manoeuvre dimensions halved. Quite what the fuck you pissed about with that CG for is beyond me.

After the first month you should've written it off as a stupid idea and bought something off ebay or gumtree. Next you should've sussed out what the Mod 1 course is and set it out on a deserted industrial estate car park and got on with practicing. You could've been done and dusted with this shit aeons ago.

Everyone just thinks yeah riding a bike - piss easy. And for some, that's true. But for a lot, it's not. And more incremental steps are necessary. Except nobody has the sense to admit this to themselves because, well, ego. Typical ego bullshit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have a bit of an adaptability issue going on, but nothing serious. It may sound crazy, but gymnastics and/or martial arts training may help. The more body awareness you have, the more body control you can develop. This is a matter separate from obtaining objects of desire in your life, such as the new 650 bike you bought.

Here's a quote from a book called Foundations and Applications of Indian Psychology by Cornelissen, Varma and Misra about the stages a Buddhist monk is supposed to pass through, and the limitations that continue to constrain him because of the level, or ground ('bhumi'), he has attained so far:

"Though an Arhat has achieved freedom from the veil of afflictions (kleśāvaraṇa), the veil of knowables (jñeyāvaraṇa) is still present."

This, perhaps, sums up the condition of wanting and having, but not being able to take full advantage of a thing. We might also compare it with the condition of arhathood in one of the Tantric Buddhist traditions, in which you cannot attain enlightenment without a 'goddess', but unless you are man enough to know how to 'use' that goddess, the goddess is of no use to you. It's therefore encumbant on the aspirant to learn to be a man first, before he can enter the 'stream' and use the technique of 'manly work' with a goddess to achieve greater aims. Otherwise, he might as well be a hungry ghost smelling and slavering after roasted meats, but not being able to touch them, for want of a human body.

So it may help to take special interest in working out why it took so many attempts to get through Mod 1, by not treating the bike licence as an ultimate goal in itself, but as an object lesson that there is a problem with the expedient you're using - either not being used in the right way or else it has some catching up to do. The levels of the people are all different, in different areas of endeavour.

Last edited by Azoth on 20:50 - 05 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseverance is right, but you got there! Likewise I did DAS on a Gladius and they are pigs at very low speeds - fell off on my first outing coming to a junction.
Good luck with Mod 2 next week. Yes, your driving experience will count for a lot, but lots of bikey things needed on top. Examiners are really hot on observations, especially on roundabouts - make that left look as you pass entries really obvious, same with the lifesaver right as you leave. I failed first time for not keeping enough distance waiting in traffic, compounded by not keeping in view of the mirrors of the truck in front.
Half the battle is attitude. It's easy to say be relaxed, but if you go out thinking you are just going for a pleasant solo hideout you'll be fine.
For interest I passed my mod 2 just before Christmas aged 69 and have just got my 10 year old Bandit 650 - looking forward to some decent weather to start enjoying it.

Jon

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was pissed off doing mod 1 twice,that is the harder part though.
Mod 2 is easier if you're riding is decent enough you shouldn't have any problems.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:36 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
aerospace engineer at BAE [...] 5 months later i had the bike fixed and ready.

God help us all if the Argies read this thread.

AshWebster wrote:
600 gladius

650. Wait, wasn't Tef... Thinking

How many quarter turns in a circle?

Eh, good on you for sticking with it, and don't let it worry you that you kept dropping a famously easy-to-handle girl's bike. If the dealer hasn't sold "your" CB650F to someone else yet, you might want to get some crash bungs put on it though. Whistle

Welcome to BCF.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 1's the tricky bit (inb4 bodyguard) but had you had experience on a 125 the whole stalling/falling over thing probably wouldn't have happened. Kinda surprised stalling was an issue actually, I had only just passed my driving test when I started riding but I probably stalled twice in the first year of riding.

Anyway good luck for Mod 2, at least you haven't given up Thumbs Up

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
...been driving 10 years and quite confident on the road.

Firstly, welcome, congrats and all that.

Riding a bike is nothing like driving a car. Riding a bike to pass your test is nothing like riding your bike in real life.

Mod2 - easy to pass, easy to fail. Focus on the former. Good luck.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but it sounds like you've gone about this completely the wrong way round - which surprises me for an engineer!

Get the skills by practice, experience by practice, practice the tests, practice on a cheap bike that can be damaged, and when you've finally got what you need to ride a big bike - buy a big bike, then there's that word again - practice.

I'm sure things are different now, but I started off commuting on a 50cc moped using my car licence for 6 months looking like an utter numpty, then did my CBT on a 125 and bought a crappy 125 and commuted for 6 months getting friendly with the local breakdown. Got more used to it and then bought a newer 125 that didn't breakdown all the time. Did my 33bhp limited test, then got a more powerful 33bhp bike and commuted for 2 years. My 33bhp limit then automatically lifted and I got my 900 bike.

I've never failed a test except the one where I was supposed to avoid the horse, not try to take it out.
But then no-one told me I had to practice that too... Rolling Eyes
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:31 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all the input - positive and negative!

re: the bike taking 5 months to fix - i didnt actually have the bike for that 5 months - he had it at the garage and kept saying they would be sorting it the next week as i was getting it done 'cheap so they waiting till theyre not busy' . almost fell out with a mate cos he kept saying the same thing week in week out.. eventually we went to the garage and walked the bike in the pouring rain home and fixed it ourselves that weekend...

hindsight is 20/20 and its quite obvious i should have learned on the 125 for a lot longer before booking the course. naivety and eagerness made me think it would be easy just like driving - definitely not the case

also i have been getting fitter over the last 6 months - was a weedy 10 stone and now a (relatively) fit 12.5 stone so was finding my balance a lot better (its true btw getting fitter does increase your balance)

DAS practise tomorro, really looking forward to it - the last one i did was super fun

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Nice to see someone local to me on here. Good luck with your MOD2. Like others have said, MOD2 is easier than MOD1. That said, my MOD2 test was at 8:30am ish and the examiner had me ride past about 4 schools. My slow speed control was certainly tested! It was ridiculously cold which didn't help my hands either.

Send me a PM sometime if you fancy a ride out. I usually go out with the lad over the road. You'll have to watch him though, he rides a cruiser so may be partial to a bit of the ghey Laughing

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
You probably have a bit of an adaptability issue going on, but nothing serious. It may sound crazy, but gymnastics and/or martial arts training may help. The more body awareness you have, the more body control you can develop. This is a matter separate from obtaining objects of desire in your life, such as the new 650 bike you bought.

Here's a quote from a book called Foundations and Applications of Indian Psychology by Cornelissen, Varma and Misra about the stages a Buddhist monk is supposed to pass through, and the limitations that continue to constrain him because of the level, or ground ('bhumi'), he has attained so far:

"Though an Arhat has achieved freedom from the veil of afflictions (kleśāvaraṇa), the veil of knowables (jñeyāvaraṇa) is still present."

This, perhaps, sums up the condition of wanting and having, but not being able to take full advantage of a thing. We might also compare it with the condition of arhathood in one of the Tantric Buddhist traditions, in which you cannot attain enlightenment without a 'goddess', but unless you are man enough to know how to 'use' that goddess, the goddess is of no use to you. It's therefore encumbant on the aspirant to learn to be a man first, before he can enter the 'stream' and use the technique of 'manly work' with a goddess to achieve greater aims. Otherwise, he might as well be a hungry ghost smelling and slavering after roasted meats, but not being able to touch them, for want of a human body.

So it may help to take special interest in working out why it took so many attempts to get through Mod 1, by not treating the bike licence as an ultimate goal in itself, but as an object lesson that there is a problem with the expedient you're using - either not being used in the right way or else it has some catching up to do. The levels of the people are all different, in different areas of endeavour.

What the fuck was all that about? Thought I ended up on hippychatforums or something...

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pudder wrote:
Tawny wrote:

What the fuck was all that about? Thought I ended up on hippychatforums or something...

I've never seen Tawny and Dr Quack in the same room at the same time...

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:39 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
You have a good job so I'm not entirely sure why, if you were having so much trouble, you didn't just spend a grand on a 125 and practice all this shit until you could do it blindfolded with all the slow manoeuvre dimensions halved. Quite what the fuck you pissed about with that CG for is beyond me.

He'd probably been reading this forum, and seeing it said so many times that buying and riding a 125 as part of 'big bike' ambitions was a waste of time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:40 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

Nice to see someone local to me on here. Good luck with your MOD2. Like others have said, MOD2 is easier than MOD1. That said, my MOD2 test was at 8:30am ish and the examiner had me ride past about 4 schools. My slow speed control was certainly tested! It was ridiculously cold which didn't help my hands either.

Send me a PM sometime if you fancy a ride out. I usually go out with the lad over the road. You'll have to watch him though, he rides a cruiser so may be partial to a bit of the ghey Laughing

Might have to take you up on this when/if i pass!

Says Scooby Slapper under your name - you dont by any chance have a Subaru do you? i've got a 98 JDM STI V4 currently under track conversion :p

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:02 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a title based on your number of posts. There does seem to be a fair amount of crossover of Scooby drivers and bikers though.

AshWebster wrote:
JDM

Do you mean that it's got a 180kph speedo, or that it's got a red tow strap hanging off it?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Hello! My story 'til now - perseverance! Reply with quote

techsnap wrote:

He'd probably been reading this forum, and seeing it said so many times that buying and riding a 125 as part of 'big bike' ambitions was a waste of time!

hah true

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:36 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's just a title based on your number of posts. There does seem to be a fair amount of crossover of Scooby drivers and bikers though.

AshWebster wrote:
JDM

Do you mean that it's got a 180kph speedo, or that it's got a red tow strap hanging off it?

180kph speedo :p they didn't make classic STI's in Europe

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will pass, don't worry. Every credit for attempting your MOD1 so many times as well. A lot of people would have given up after the 2nd or 3rd fail.
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the money spent on retakes and damage to school bikes could've probably fucking well bought a cheap 125. Why is this being billed as a heroic tale of perseverance rather than myopic stupidity, for fucks sake.

I suppose the guy wants to ride, he's just struggling with the things that ensure he can.
He's clearly not a natural and although I got through the tests relatively incident and nerve free, I don't consider myself one either but I'm happy with my safe/berserk level.
I think he'll get there, just needs a bloody good slap round the chops and to be told to snap the fuck out of it.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:16 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the money spent on retakes and damage to school bikes could've probably fucking well bought a cheap 125. Why is this being billed as a heroic tale of perseverance rather than myopic stupidity, for fucks sake.

I didn't say at all it was heroic? I just said for people out there who might be struggling and want to give in - dont.. , was more annoying the waiting for a month before retaking. I was able to do perfect tests pre to the 3rd mod1 if you actually read my post, so it's not 100% down to lack of skill - some test related nerves must have come into it - I was even looking at the Kalms route etc

I'm not stupid I wasn't expecting full praise off anyone, I know 4 fails before passing is a lot more than most, please remove the chip from your shoulder.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:55 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says his main issue is with slow speed control of a big bike, not a tiddler. How would buying a 125 help? Besides, he's passed MOD1 now so he was right to persevere anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3