Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Mmmmm DT100 Drooling

Brother just bought one for his Mrs.

My god, the thing is tiny. I'll get some pics.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, fun is a bike with handling that you can dictate rather than having to ride the way the bike wants to be ridden while having the power to put a smile on your chops.
Either that or a bike with the capacity to take you to places off road that you'd normally never see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:47 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indoor it keeps the speed down.

Also so does, to some degree, not having about the most powerful possible pit bike you can get Smile.

Minimotos while still pretty nippy, are generally a bit lower - ones I've got are 6.2hp and around 8.5hp.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when the environment is suited to any particular bikes abilities, there's fun to be had on anything. Not necessarily connected to speed and acceleration. Sports bike on flowing twisties, naked for filtering lols, busa on the autobahn etc. Good weather definitely helps.

Obviously some bikes do a lot of things better in many situations than others, but even when the planets aren't quite aligned, you're still experiencing a kind of freedom and feeling that your body is exerting influence (for better or worse) on the handling and that gives you a direct feeling of connectedness that you don't get on 4 wheels.

There's days when I take the car instead, and after a few of those days I'm itching to ride. It makes me appreciate the smell, sound, buzzing of the engine transmitted through the testicles, legalised queue jumping. It gives me back my sense of perspective as to the performance difference once again.

Do the same thing day in day out and you start to build a tolerance and immunity. Bikes are fun, and to realise that (if you've lost your biking mojo) stop riding for a while.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Sleeping Because it makes a difference whether you're on a 125 or litre bike when someone pulls out in front of you.

I think the smidsy risk is vastly overblown. In 24 years i've never been creamed by anyone pulling out and neither has anyone i know IRL.

If you can't accept that there is a chance that biking will kill or maim you then i suggest you get another hobby. The best way to reduce the risk is to cut down your miles and move some of your riding to a venue other than the public road.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

I think the smidsy risk is vastly overblown. In 24 years i've never been creamed by anyone pulling out and neither has anyone i know IRL.

I think reading such forums as this one gives you a somewhat skewed picture. For a start, if it wasn't for coming on here, I wouldn't be hearing much from new riders, who are still learning to spot the signs, and still making their n00b mistakes.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

I think reading such forums as this one gives you a somewhat skewed picture. For a start, if it wasn't for coming on here, I wouldn't be hearing much from new riders, who are still learning to spot the signs, and still making their n00b mistakes.

It's not just noobs who crash, experienced riders seem to do a pretty good of going down on this forum, and crash stats suggest middle-aged bikers are high risk along with youngins.

I guess it depends where you see the risk, I don't fear hitting diesel etc., and although I know I'm not infallible I don't fear messing up on a bend. Another road user doing something you're unable to avoid is what concerns me, and obviously it depends where you ride, in an urban environment (with urban mongs) the main risk comes from other people IMO.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
crash stats suggest middle-aged bikers are high risk

But aren't a lot of those stats from so-called "born agains" who've had a long lay-off from riding?

Of course there's always a possibility of a crash for whatever reason, no matter how experienced you are, but you need to keep things in perspective, and not just dwell on the bad side of things. Otherwise you will lose all the fun of it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so but as far as I'm aware once you've learned to drive a cage you don't become a risk again until you're nearly dead.

You don't get the fun times (with bikes) without the bad times. You have to remember that when you're sliding down the road, freezing your bollocks off, or are caught in a shower without your Rainpal...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I believe so but as far as I'm aware once you've learned to drive a cage you don't become a risk again until you're nearly dead.

You don't get the fun times (with bikes) without the bad times. You have to remember that when you're sliding down the road, freezing your bollocks off, or are caught in a shower without your Rainpal...

Nope, I still think you're over-thinking it. I'm not suggesting you get blasé about it, but it's like you're trying to find reasons not to ride. Hey, which is fine by me if that's what you want.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4