Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long awaited new, 2017, Fireblade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Long awaited new, 2017, Fireblade Reply with quote

Well, if you ain't seen it yet here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CUKgyqwKbk&app=desktop

Lighter, stronger, faster or was that the bionic man.
Looks alright, and Mr Hayden gives it a good spanking.

Who's 'avin one?

Might be a pea roast but "search" revealed nowt!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I didn't think Honda had changed the styling enough. But on reflection, I love it!

Dear Santa....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful lot of control going on Thinking

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in this market and I'm not interested.

I do like the bold graphics, and I do like that it has a full length lower fairing/belly pan. I also like that it's significantly lighter than the old ABS model (14kg?). I don't like the angular shape and narrow top fairing, particularly from the top, and from the front:

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/590894/1000x750/CBR1000RR_SP1_05.jpg

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/590894/1000x750/CBR1000RR_SP1_09.jpg

And it looks a bit fat in the middle.

But that's not particularly why I'm not interested. I'm not interested because it's still essentially a derivative of the 2008 bike. Same frame but tweaked. Same swingarm. Same engine tuned for 5% more top end power. Same top yoke. Same wheels. It'll almost certainly ride and feel pretty much the same as the last one, which IME wasn't particularly inspiring (compared with its peers). The most noticeable difference will probably be that it has less low/mid range power, thanks to Euro4.

Yes, it's certainly the most significant overhaul of the 2008- model, and it's been equipped with all the latest electronic kit (not that it really needed it IMO). But the Fireblade is well overdue a ground-up re-design (a la R1) and this isn't it.

I suspect they've done enough to persuade plenty of late model Fireblade owners to upgrade come PCP 'renewal'. But I don't really see that it offers anything to tempt owners away from Yamaha / BMW / Ducati / Aprilia.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being critical here, but one thing I'd like to know is why bike buyers especially at this end of the market are uber critical and demanding of specs, design, last few tenths of performance and electronics etc?

People such as Alex above, who are very clued up buyers and keeping very up to date with manufacturers future and current models, and also have alot of experience of these kinds of machines and know exactly what they want and feel is required to make a bike better or faster, or more characterful and involving.

I mean someone that might consider a new GSXR 1000 for example might not have any interest in say a Fireblade or BMW S1000RR. Are they all that different and not more or less exactly the same thing, as things like similar power to weight ratios, brakes, and suspension components and wheels etc, should make them all about the same to ride?

I get that nearly all these bikes are toys and that the buyers can and will be very picky with spending say 15k on a non essential purchase or something that isn't relied on as daily transport. Also I understand there are bragging rights and the need to have the best, latest or most tech laden machine compared to mates bikes etc. And there is the desire to have a stand out bike above its peers or one that has a more notorious reputation or capability.

Im only asking all this as im well out of the loop, and havnt kept up with new litre bike developments since 2005, as they just bored me by then. I've only ridden two litre bikes, the most recent was a 2003 machine, so again I have no recent or relevant experience.

Its just I find it slightly odd or just don't grasp how new litre bike buyers are so ultra demanding and critical, especially when the ability of these bikes cannot be fully utilised on the road, and not on the track unless the rider is good and pretty skilled.

And lastly why is it so different to car buyers? I mean if you wanted to scrutinise 30k hot hatch buyers, sure they would have some interest in performance and abilities, but all the cars in that class are good enough and broadly perform much the same too. In fact price and brand image, along with dealer incentives and finance are going to be the biggest deciders in this market, with running costs, and residual values just behind them. But in the superbike market many of these factors are not even considerations, or would sway a decision over more technical reasons.

I know people buy cars for daily transport and use them much more, but it's still a universe apart in the way people decide on what to buy and how much little details matter overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't compare 15k bike buyers to 30k car buyers.

The latter is basically mid-market, the former is top end excluding collectibles. I would actually guess that most new bike buyers already have a more expensive car (or could afford it). Do people buy 2016 blades without a garage?

I'd consider M5 etc.

Cars have far more non-performance aspects too (interior, electrical gizmos, badge ego rep), and they get used as commuters a lot more.

Then again, I assume the actual top end of the car market has bonkers focus anyway. Does anyone care how fast their Lamborghini is, or is it all about ability to navigate speed bumps in Ken?

To be honest I reckon cars are mostly bought for cock length value, even if subconsciously. That's what I'd be thinking about anyway.

Part of the reason I bought my car was basically for the troll value of 'my car costs less than your phone'.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:25 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do note it says best power to weight of any fireblade.
Not better than the competition etc.

Though, since 2008 it's always had more midrange than the competition, even if lacking at the top.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find the point in the video now, but it looks like the LCD is glossy? That seems like a suspect decision, can you see it in direct sunlight?

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A detailed amount of research on the WebaNet would probably help answer this question, but BCF = truth so...

What's with the Manga-esque pointy styling? There seems to be less fairing and more weird angles in the last 10-15 years that to me (please feel free to say 'dumbass') don't look that aerodynamic. Bikes with amazing levels of power don't seem to hit faster terminal speeds than the 'oldies' like the Blackbird with all enveloping aero fairings. If premium bikes like the 'Blade only look the way they do because of fashion and modern design, does that mean that there will soon been 'retro' bikes that have modern running gear but are styled like the full faired bikes of the 80's, 90's and 00's? That said this '17 model does have more around the middle, but unfortunately exacerbates the fact that there's nowt up top or out back. I am impressed with modern tech and the performance levels that are attainable for mere mortals these days, but they all look a bit pants and out of proportion. But I am an old fart before my time...

🏍

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I mean someone that might consider a new GSXR 1000 for example might not have any interest in say a Fireblade or BMW S1000RR. Are they all that different and not more or less exactly the same thing, as things like similar power to weight ratios, brakes, and suspension components and wheels etc, should make them all about the same to ride?

Yes, the latest superbikes will lap most tracks within a few seconds of one another. But no, that doesn't make them to same to ride, at all. The factor that makes the greatest difference is engine configuration, but the chassis also contributes to a very different experience (e.g. Ducati monococque). A 1299 is very different in most engineering respects to any of four cylinder competition, but the outright performance is similar. But even with the IL4s, an R1 offers a very different feel/experience to a Fireblade. And a Fireblade feels much smoother and softer than a ZX-10R, despite similar performance. Ride some and see!

Quote:
Also I understand there are bragging rights and the need to have the best, latest or most tech laden machine compared to mates bikes etc. And there is the desire to have a stand out bike above its peers or one that has a more notorious reputation or capability.

People buy bikes for different reasons. As with anything, it's not especially helpful to generalise. Many probably do, but I don't choose bikes for bragging rights. I don't go to bike 'meets', and very rarely ride with others. It's mainly about the experience for me. The looks are also important, as is the quality of build and engineering. In fact, superbikes are unusual in that they are focused and (relatively) uncompromised when it comes to engineering, component quailty and build/finish. That appeals to the geek in me. Probably others.

There are other reasons. Some prople want a fast bike but also want practicality, so they'll buy the BMW (bit roomier, heated grips etc.).

Quote:
And lastly why is it so different to car buyers? I mean if you wanted to scrutinise 30k hot hatch buyers, sure they would have some interest in performance and abilities, but all the cars in that class are good enough and broadly perform much the same too.

It's not the same thing is it? Hot hatches aren't (by definition) purely recreational vehicles. Superbikes (usually) are. A better equivalent would be track cars (Ariel Atom / Radicals etc.) or supercars. You would expect that buyers of those would usually be quite discerning and particular.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:26 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been really excited about this bike for the past few months. Have to say it's a bit of a tale of two halves for me. I love the front end and the non exhaust side. But man, what is it with the big pipes on modern superbikes? Is it all about the Euro emissions that they have to make them so bloody big? I think that monstrosity totally spoils the look of the bike. All those clean lines and then bam, huge metal pipe. I suppose you will maybe be able to fit an aftermarket pipe that will cut it down somewhat, but if you are spending 15k on a bike why do you want to spend another 2 on getting the exhaust right!? Will also no doubt invalidate your warranty. I am gravitating towards a litre bike for my 40th birthday in a couple of years time, but I'm not sure my midlife crisis will be on the new blade!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:24 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exhaust are emissions related (sound and chemical make up). Manufacturers normally offer an officially approved exhaust at an appropriately silly price. Or you could just put the normal one back on before warranty work.

Oh and "hot hatch" car buyers I'd say are often very picky over the brand, performance, whether it's 5.2 or 5.1 seconds to 60 and how many 'torques' Clarkson says it has.

There's diminishing returns in power vs speed - these newer bikes manage to go a good bit faster with a good bit less engine capacity. Also something like this Honda probably has significantly more midrange and all have much better handling. Small is good for the track and typically means lighter weight.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

Yes, it's certainly the most significant overhaul of the 2008- model, and it's been equipped with all the latest electronic kit (not that it really needed it IMO). But the Fireblade is well overdue a ground-up re-design (a la R1) and this isn't it.

Interesting point. The Fireblade still has the best chassis out of the litre bike crowd (just look at how well the old underpowered bike is doing in stock racing/roads/world endurance).

On the ground up re-design point, it's no different to most of the litre bikes to be honest. GSXR is the same as it was in 2009, now overhauled. BMW S1000RR has only had tweaks since it's launch in 2010, same with the RSV4, ZX10R was 2011. The R1 was the only exception to the rule.

I know everyone would love to see a V4 Fireblade with a £7k price tag, but it's just not going to happen.

I guess it depends what you're buying your Superbike for though. Personally I was use mine rather a lot so demand comfy ergonomics with a powerful engine and good handling. Fireblade ticks all of those boxes for me (for now). Even using it most days most of the year, the times when you can wind a litre bike's engine out on the road are pretty rare.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
But man, what is it with the big pipes on modern superbikes? Is it all about the Euro emissions that they have to make them so bloody big? I think that monstrosity totally spoils the look of the bike. All those clean lines and then bam, huge metal pipe. I suppose you will maybe be able to fit an aftermarket pipe that will cut it down somewhat, but if you are spending 15k on a bike why do you want to spend another 2 on getting the exhaust right!? Will also no doubt invalidate your warranty. I am gravitating towards a litre bike for my 40th birthday in a couple of years time, but I'm not sure my midlife crisis will be on the new blade!

Noise and emissions means that big silencers or a cat/pre-silencer is needed to get them through the regulations. Looking at the naked pictures of the new Fireblade they seem to have gone for a smaller cat under the engine and a larger main silencer (good for bolting on instant power, and good for emissions).

https://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/rfq_nk_0.jpg

It means you can just junk the big silencer and put on something a bit sleeker and louder. If you go for the "honda approved" one it won't impact your warranty. Most buyers now are on finance anyway, so just bundle the exhaust into their PCP. One thing to be aware of is that the "official" exhaust would need to be road legal. Euro 4 impacts road legal/e-marked exhausts in that they have to have a fixed/non-removable baffle. They could get around it by selling the exhaust as a "race/track day only kit" though. Wink

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details!

The bike being discussed, according to this article, is not neccesarily the 2017 base model, it is the either the SP1 road going special or the SP2 homologation race special:-

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/honda-unveils-2017-fireblade-sp1-and-sp2-models

From the article:-

Quote:
But, also like buses, one seems to have been massively delayed. Obviously, if you bring out two fancy versions of a bike, there has to be a base version too. But Honda’s being all coy about this, despite us seeing it in spy pics just a few weeks ago…

Anyway. Ignoring the presence or otherwise of a base 2017 Fireblade, we’ll have a bit of a look at the fancy SP version.

The racing pundits have been banging on, for a while now, about how long in the tooth the, racing, Fireblade was getting, in the SBK class.
So, presumably, the specs being discussed are for race bikes, not base model road bikes!
Mr Honda needs to win more races, than he has been doing in the last couple of seasons.
Having said that the "old" blade seems to have found some form, on track in the last 2 or three months!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Details!

The bike being discussed, according to this article, is not neccesarily the 2017 base model, it is the either the SP1 road going special or the SP2 homologation race special:-

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news-detail/honda-unveils-2017-fireblade-sp1-and-sp2-models

From the article:-

Quote:
But, also like buses, one seems to have been massively delayed. Obviously, if you bring out two fancy versions of a bike, there has to be a base version too. But Honda’s being all coy about this, despite us seeing it in spy pics just a few weeks ago…

Anyway. Ignoring the presence or otherwise of a base 2017 Fireblade, we’ll have a bit of a look at the fancy SP version.

The racing pundits have been banging on, for a while now, about how long in the tooth the, racing, Fireblade was getting, in the SBK class.
So, presumably, the specs being discussed are for race bikes, not base model road bikes!
Mr Honda needs to win more races, than he has been doing in the last couple of seasons.
Having said that the "old" blade seems to have found some form, on track in the last 2 or three months!

Quite right, only the SP and SP2 have been launched. I would expect the base model to have showa rather than Ohlins. Tokico or Nissins rather than brembos and a steel fuel tank.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 09 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is someone emptying out a honda parts bin on a fine Japanese piano at the beginning of the video. I hear the tunic fork brand know a thing or two about this.

Golfingbiker
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:30 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the entry level 2017 fireblade in matte/satin black the spec is no where near as high as the sp1 or sp2 but I'm not that fast or skilful of a rider but in my opinion it's looks great.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:36 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exhaust though. I know they need to meet regulations etc but couldn't they have run it up under the seat or done something with it. It's hideous! I'm sure some aftermarket solutions will come along, but then you are paying an extra couple of grand ontop of your already big investment. I have my eyes on a blade for my 40th in a couple of years time, so will see what happens with options for getting that horror show off the side of the bike. Not as bad as the new Ducatti bikes though - that is a proper monstrosity!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Long awaited new, 2017, Fireblade Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Who's 'avin one?

Every traffic copper in the country?

BCF wrote:
dat exhaust do.

I half expect them to all come with a 'free' Akrapovič (factored into the price), like they seem to be doing with the CB"R"500"R".

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally buy a mint 98/99 Blade instead and spend out on some nice wheels, a fancy rear shock and Maxton or similar fork re-build, and a nice sexy titanium or stainless 4-1 race system.

The above is all the litre bike I'd ever need, and much more than I could use fully on the road or track. I look down on EU4 compliant bikes, and those with electronic aids generally.

Im not such a luddite to not know that modern EFI can be as good as carbs, or make for overall more performance if set up right, but a fresh bank of well jetted carbs still cuts it and gives a really nice smooth ride IMO.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd personally buy a mint 98/99 Blade instead

I'm with you in essence, only difference being I'd rather sink my cash into a VTR SP2 than a new Blade.

That's not what the masses want though, they want shiny new and a finance deal. I have no idea what the figures are for bike sales, but according to the BBC news the other morning, 75% of all new car sales last year were on PCP.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd personally buy a mint 98/99 Blade instead and spend out on some nice wheels, a fancy rear shock and Maxton or similar fork re-build, and a nice sexy titanium or stainless 4-1 race system.

Thought exactly that, went out a got a nice shine 99 R1 Laughing Laughing

Then discovered even that
stevo as b4 wrote:
is all the litre bike I'd ever need, and much more than I could use fully on the road or track.

Rolling Eyes

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
That exhaust though. I know they need to meet regulations etc but couldn't they have run it up under the seat or done something with it. It's hideous! I'm sure some aftermarket solutions will come along, but then you are paying an extra couple of grand ontop of your already big investment. I have my eyes on a blade for my 40th in a couple of years time, so will see what happens with options for getting that horror show off the side of the bike. Not as bad as the new Ducatti bikes though - that is a proper monstrosity!

What exhaust are you buying for a "couple of grand"?

End can alone would be good enough to give you a lot more power and noise and will be from £250-£700 at a guess. £250 for Dan Moto ( or other el cheapo race can) or £700 for the Road Legal Akrapovic stuff at a guess.

At least it's quick to change being out on the side.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:54 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
SuperMike wrote:

What exhaust are you buying for a "couple of grand"?

End can alone would be good enough to give you a lot more power and noise and will be from £250-£700 at a guess. £250 for Dan Moto ( or other el cheapo race can) or £700 for the Road Legal Akrapovic stuff at a guess.

At least it's quick to change being out on the side.

Just going on what an exhaust for my CBR650F would put me back. Around £750 for an Akrapovic and then I am guessing a few hundred quid labour - about a grand all in and that's before you have retuned it or put a power controller in or whatever is needed?

I guessed that for a new litre super bike you might be spending north of this. Either way, not sure I'd want to buy a new bike and immediately need to put a new exhaust on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1