BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Noob

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:55 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Bike Noob Reply with quote

Hi all, just joined the forum and thought I'd say hello. I'm Sean from Bolton in Lancs. I did my CBT with Williams motorcycle training in Bolton on Thursday and am now the happy owner of a 1983 Honda CB100N-A.
I've not been on a bike since my TS125 back when I was 17 and I'm 49 now, so to say I was a bit wobbly was an understatement Very Happy I'm going to get a few months riding under my belt and then go for the DAS and then it's onwards and upwards, oh, and I'm a bus driver Embarassed Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple of ex bus drivers on the forum so I guess that means you'll be accepted. Smile

Good luck with the DAS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Cheers guys

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:30 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice of bike. Did you seek that out, or just stumble on it?

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:55 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stan, welcome ok to two wheels Thumbs Up

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:14 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rogerborg, I'd gone to look at a CG125 but this little CB100 was in the shop and I decided to have it. It's been well looked after and it seemed like a good starter bike. Why do you say interesting, not cocked up have I? Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:14 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Butler wrote:
Hi Rogerborg, I'd gone to look at a CG125 but this little CB100 was in the shop and I decided to have it. It's been well looked after and it seemed like a good starter bike. Why do you say interesting, not cocked up have I? Smile

Nope, the CB100 was a nice OHC single. A better engine than the cg125 but you better be sure to keep on top of the oil changes because if neglected they eat the cams and cylinder head.

In fact I see a engine on eBay right now for £140 I'd be buying that as a spare.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:28 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unusual in that most folk would go for a 125. The CB100N makes as much power though.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:25 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notion that this is a bit of a busman's holiday, and other such puns are tormenting me!!! MOST folk bought CB100's in their day 'cos they were cheaper than the bus... YOU get paid for taking the bus...... is any-one paying you to ride the 'undred?! Lol? HORRIBLE little things! But I am biased!

Just working it out, 49? I missed the 250 Learner-Laws by five years, you'll have been even more kicking-yourself 'close'! The days of the 'new' Chanel 4 and 'spitting Image' Lol.! And the mysterious 'Part One' motorcycle test Devolved to 'approved training bodies' in a spark of Thatcherite enthusiasm to stimulate the 'market economy' and the creation of 'Motorbike Schools'..... ugh....yeah! By the time I was old enough to get a licence five years later there STILL weren't many! Lol. But hey, she did a good job in the South Atlantic eh?!

CB100N's!! Or more specifically "Diddy Dave's" CB100N.... 1988... I had left school and worked the summer on building sites to earn the money to buy a bike for my 17th.. When that came round, I was presented with a voucher for car lessons by parents, in the hope I would loose this 'enthusiasm' for bikes.... so took them and got my Car test.. which conveniently secured my Motorcycle Provisional from the 2-year 'auto-ban', and start about trying to sort the Bike licence....

In them days, it was still the wobble round the block test; thirty minutes on a freezing cold industrial estate with an ex National Service petty officer in tweeds with leather patches on the elbows, looking mournfully at your hair cut, and calling you "Fella-mi-Lad" tamping his pipe, and telling you "This aint cold!", stood on the pavement, with a clipboard, telling you to ride around the block 'anti-clockwise' and making quips which way that was, until he told you to stop. Which, "yoof of t'day!" seem to think was a walk in the park!

Spoiled by t'internet, and on demand gaming; they have NO IDEA! That was merely the crowning glory! REAL test came right at the start when you had to go into the local post office, and ask the grey haired old spinster for the right FORM! To be filled in, in block capitols in black biro......

National Service test of officerial 'initiative' it was! Get past the woman in the post office! And decypher the form. Find the right 'box' to check you wanted to do a 'MOTORCYCLE' test, AND the *note on the other page that said "Ensure you have passed your Part 1 motorcycle test and include pass certificate with this form for your practical test appointment"...."With payement by Cheque or POSTAL ORDER Shocked " THAT would stump most modern teenagers, wouldn't it! Cheques and postal orders, and 'Cash on Delivery'! Say you orderd somethng CoD now they'd think you were talking about an X-Box game Wink

Err... Part One? What's THAT then.... and back to the grey haired old spinster in the post-office.. who was peculiarly less helpful!!

Eventually you discovered, from a mate or chap at the chippy, that 'some-one' did them round the back of the bike Shop or in woolies car-park on a Saturday afternoon..... turned up.... and there was no-one there! OH what days... [Bisto Sigh!]

Back to Diddy-Daves H100N!

A precocious yoof, many of my biking mates were stumped by such tangles of red-tape, and their biking careers on GP100's with 'spannies' and the like, often lasted no longer than it took for that Provisional Entitlement to run out, and for car lessons become the way to expadite it's extension, and which point. a 'cheap banger' of an old Mini or Fiat 127, usually became more viable and attractive than fixing the piston n the bike.... a-gain!

HOWEVER, I had a 'Plan'. I had, through my school-boy trials riding, which mostly involved me dodging coppas as I wheeled the bike across town to the train station and lifted it into the guards van to take to Vale Onslow's trials park in Brum; had discovered a BIKE SCHOOL! Even better, this bike school had four bikes (eqally horrible Honda H100 two strokes as it happens!) you could RENT to take the 'Part One' on. Not only that, they offered full rider training courses to test standard and would rent you one of the H100's to go take the test on!

Hmmm... THIS seemed like a fantastic notion to me, aged 17. WHY fuck about with all that hassle of dodgy points and knackered pistons, pissing abut on learner bikes on L's? Do the course, get the Part One, AND rent bike to do the practical test on, and get the full licence.. and go buy a bike I actually WANTED! At the time a Yamaha RD350YPVS, but that's another story!

Another school holiday 'on the lump' added to the fighting fund, more than enough to pay for the course one week-end in early 1988, and I was clutching my Part One Pass certificate within a couple of hours, and spent the rest of the week-end toddling round the houses and then out into the country with a couple of crazy BMW riding bike coppas, who told me by the end of the first day, to just go get my test booked... and 'almost' forgot to take the school bike back off me at the end!

Oh joy! Caught the train home, and went and found that black biro, book to lean on, and a second class stamp... An envelope was slightly more of a challenge! Like I said, yoof of today eh?! lol.

Remarkably quickly, within the fortnight, a post card with a test date arrived.. and I duly caught the train back to the bike school, borrowed bike, and went to try and find the test center!

I Failed.. I suspect on the 'uniform inspection' at the very start, when tweed clad ex brigadier, looked me up and down, ruefully, taking in unruly mop of of uncut curly dirty-red hair.. sort of Malcolm Mclaren left in the rain for a week! Red & White 'Elsie-Boy' leather jacket, faded jeans and paddock-boots.. grimaced , like I was some Bedouin bizarre vendor offering an unidentifiable delicacy, he sent me on my way with the words "Get on with it then!". Actual 'fail' reason was offered as 'crashing a red light', which is another story altogether.. but still!

A car learner practicing the 'test route' had made twenty stalled attempts to negotiate a right hand turn at the lights, and I had sat patiently behind each time as she tried to get the thig started, lurched ad I saw the instructor frantically waving his arms around and heard the engine scream, presumably as he'd slammed down the duel clutch control! Eventually she made it 'in' to the junction, and then, after a few more wild lurching, 'out' again... and I'd drawn over the stop line.. only to observe she'd stalled A-GAIN.. on the exit.. and had no-where to go... Her instructor helped her eventually clear it, 'just' as the lights changed, and I was sat there in the middle of the junction, with traffic bearing down on me cross-wise from both directions, thinking "Err.. better get out of here!".... when the Brigadier walked around the corner, wondering where the hell I'd got to!

Forlorn, I took the bike back to Brum. Caught the train home, and went to find the bic biro again! Again, with remarkable efficiency seldom displayed these days, another test appointment arrived within the fortnight, and I 'phones the school to try and book another bike for it... to get a scratchy answer-phone... an astounding 'new' invention, which only added to my consternation, having had to beg and plead desperately to be able to use the telephone before 6pm in the first place... "I couldn't get through!" I said when asked to use it again... "NONSENSE!" I was told.... "I heard you talking!"..... "Yeah, to an answering machine!"... "A what?! NO!! LOOK, you have USED the phone, THREE TIMES this week, NO!"....[bisto sigh] Wink Kids now eh? Don't know their born, I tell you! With their Smart'Phones and 'free minutes'!!

Eventually, discovered that following more Thatcherite philosophy, the school had gone bust!!! I had NO bike to do test on.

And we come back round to Diddy-Dave and his CB100N!!! Full time oppo on the building sites, he offered me the use of his bike to do the test. It was, I will admit the last on the list... but all the others were usually offered with conditions.... mostly that I fix the ruddy thing first!

Now, Diddy-Dave.... that's not an ironic nick-name BTW, he was only 5'2"! Had been dragged round the Sheldon Motorcycles by his Dad to buy this thing, when working on the building sites meant he had to be at the yard before the busses started running... He did NOT like riding it; and I learned later, that his Dad had taken to staying home later, to 'see him off' and make sure he DID ride it to work... and Dave had taken to riding it around the corner and parking it at his mate's mum's for the day..... and waiting for the bus! Lol!

Anyway, he loaned it to me for my test... And I went and stuck some fresh petrol in it, and then rode it the twenty miles to my test appointment....Achieving the posted 50mph speed limit, It was probably twice as fast as it had EVER gone before!

The Brigadier was NOT impressed, and pointed out the lack of front L-Plate.... returning five minutes later with a stickie one from the petrol station scrunched up on the front mudguard did little to win his favour.. NOR did my frantic efforts to keep the engine alive, at junctions, feathering the clutch and reving the motor as it seemed that actually having some petrol wash through it on my 'high speed' ride to the test, had caused the slow running jet to fall out of the carburetor!

The culmination, though was on the 'emergency stop'.. when, in them days the examiner actually stepped out into the road infront of you..... yeah... they probably felt they had missed out on something during 'the war'!!!

All this round the houses had started to see the rather wooden to start with, cable operated front disc brake, get ncreasingly more wooden and less progressive! It was always a little bit of a suicide stoppa, but on THIS occasion I could REALLY have done with it being a 'little' more communicative!

30mph, on the cold and mostly deserted industrial estate, the Brigader steps into the road... in my heightened state of awareness, what seemed an AWFUL long way away... surely he's just crossing the road.... he cant want me to do an 'emergency stop' with THAT much warning..... can he?!..... so didn't start to slow, very quickly...... THEN the clipboard came up.... yes, yes he DID!

OFF the throttle.. oh shit! Engine's dyng! On Clutch! On the throttle! BRAKE! Shit! forks dive, as wooden disc grabs... OFF the brakes! He's getting awfully CLOSE! Shocked Back on the brakes! Brakes.. where are the bludy BRAKES! Bit more back! NO! Please dont lock, DOT LOCK! REVS! BRAKE DAMN YOU! Ah! What 's that... NO not that MUCH!

Between all of this frantic 'jiggling' my awareness was at such a heightened level of probably shear panic by now, I actually recall, the patient expression of the examiner... and it turning to paanoia, as the clipboard wavered, swapped hands, and he wavered, looking which way to jump.... Before I came to a stop, inched from his knees, in a frenzy of engine revs, determined NOT to let the thing 'die', Tyre squeezing and the stench of cooked non asbestos brake pads!!!

I looked up, eagerly, awaiting further instruction, as the Brigadier patted down his re-inforced elbow tweeds, found his pipe, dis-guarded it, and discovered a packet of Embassy No.1's he obviously Laughing kept for such occasions Laughing Adjusting his cap, he announced "Well, I THINK we can call that a day!"

I looked up, bright eyes for the verdict.. I mean, I THOUGHT I had provided a peerless display of dexterous machine control, in the face of adversity!

"That, that, THAT THING!".. he faltered, and the nicotine hitting his blood stream taking effect, calmed and carried on... "Your machine is obviously in need of some attention, and not running right!" He offered, quickly retreating to the formal parlance after his brief 'lapse'... "I am going to 'terminate' you." He looked up.... Arnies cyborg movies were still dong the VHS rounds of the cult movie, and I think he was wondering whether I got the reference.... "Come back, when you have a properly working motorcycle!"

And, as he walked away, puffing on his unfiltered, shaking his head, leaving me desperately trying to kick-start THAT THING, which had conked out as I had had to take my hand off the throttle to take the paperwork off him, muttering under his breath "Hopefully NOT before I retire!"

Indeed, I suspect he retired shortly after, as that test center was closed; so not only did I not have a bike to take a test on, but anywhere to take one!

In the meanwhile, they introduced the 'Pursuit Test', putting examiners on bikes to follow students around the houses, rather than step off pavements in front of them.... ONLY without actually making sure they had any examiners who actually rode bikes... or even had bikes to ride!!! So for about three years test appointment waiting lists, were often as log as the auto-ban period on provisional licences, and it took me almost two years to bte the bullet and but a 125, and another 18 moths to get a ruddy test done on it! But that's yet another story!

BUT, that BLUDY H100N! DIDDY DAVE'S Bludy H100N, still haunts me!

'Sensible' people bought two-strokes! The air-cooled 2T100's like the Yamaha RXS100 or the Kawaaki KH100, were far more useful. They were just as ecconomical; They cost just as little to insure, and they had no tappets that needed constant adjustment!

The CB100N? With its slightly 'fragile' four stroke engine, that needed its tappets tickled and cam-chain tension adjusting, as well as regular oil changes, had little to offer! And THAT EFFING FRONT BRAKE!

I suspect that the one on Diddy-Dave's example probably suffered from having never been used! And wa, as a rather more delcate mechanical mechanism, probably direly out of adjustment and probably 'sticking' a bit when pressed into service; BUT, even well maintained ones I have experienced on the CB125T t was borrowed from, have had that similarly 'random'' effectiveness. Compared to 4" cable drums on most Lightweights, they were, reasonably 'powerful', but crikey that random 'feel' as the cable stretched and the cam took up, you ever knew when or if you were going to get it!

Like I said, I AM slightly biased by this experience!! If they were looked after, and few ever were, they were a reasonably useful little commuter that could go an awful long way on an egg-cup of petrol.. BUT... plenty of other's that would do that just as well...

Here and now, in the modern world? Well, They are as useful as they ever have been for beating bus-fares... not that I suppose that's a concern to you! Ad, if it's survived best part or more of thirty years wthout eating it's cam-shaft, probably never will! Though I WOULD as course be strippng that front wamie brake and treatig it to a new cable and pads Laughing

As a 'Classic', the two-strokes were much more the bikes of their era; but, I came accross an 'undred 'N' at the bash, a couple of years back....

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/994479_838323399525912_1361392161784939500_n.jpg?oh=65aa0d48faec3a9bf2ae956c0be9c9ef&oe=58D83BE0

Which did pull me up short ad make me want to take a photo of it, as I recalled Diddy-Dave's and 'The Brigadier'.. and tried desperately OT to find my tool kit and service that ruddy brake for the owner!

BUT... onto more serious matters; times have changed, and the days of getting a bike and wobbling round the houses on L's making it up as you go along are for most, long gone, or at best, even more fraught than they ever were; It's the school of hard knocks, and going it alone doesn't teach you what to do, it just punishes you when you get it wrong! And them knocks come hard at our age, mate, they really do!

Tiddlers are still great training tools; without the weight they wobble, without the power they don't have the flexibility, they don't tolerate anywhere near the amount of numptiness, big bikes, most modern 'Learners' starting off on a DAS course do. If you can be smooth on a tiddler, you can be sooth on anything; BUT, gong it alone on L's is a painful way to learn what not to do!

These 'few months' you talk of using the 'undred before DAS, is a good plan, but no need to drag it out. Sooner you get some more training, sooner you learn to do stuff right, and if you space your lessons, you can go practice on the 'udred, without having to pay an instructor to watch you wobble on a big-bike.

For what it is? Well, it'll likely jog some memories like mine back from the '80's! Its a fun little thing, and nice to know there's some-one deluded enough to keep one alive!

Have fun and enjoy... bound to be entertaining.... probably NOT when you'd like it to be.... B-U-T.. just remember, school of hard-knocks! And they come hard when you are closer to fifty than fifteen!

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:54 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef that was a long one even for you!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Tef that was a long one even for you!

That was Chapter 1, he's only up to 1988.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
That was Chapter 1, he's only up to 1988.

Laughing

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies lads, and Tef, thank you for reminding me of my horrible youth, even if it WAS like reading War and Peace Very Happy Think I'll take your advice though and go in for the DAS a bit sooner

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:16 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Butler wrote:
and Tef, thank you for reminding me of my horrible youth,

progeny or history Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
a packet of Embassy No.1's he obviously Laughing kept for such occasions

Teflon-Mike wrote:
And, as he walked away, puffing on his unfiltered

Point of detail. Embassy Number One were always filter tipped. Still are afaia. Popular unfiltered brands during the '80s were Park Drive, Woodbine and maybe Senior Service. Capstan Full Strength at a push - although as one of the very few high tar cigarettes money could buy, they were not always on the shelf at the local news agents. More of a town tobacconist purchase. Incidentally, they were my dad's brand - my mum's were the afore mentioned Senior Service, and my Nan was never without her Woodbines.

But if as you say this examiner was an ex-service man, it's perhaps most likely that - if he was indeed smoking an unfiltered brand - it was a Players Nay Cut.

Those brands in order of appearance:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-P3g7gMYnl-E/U58fLQQa3tI/AAAAAAAAEYM/I07VOkdWVaM/s1600/EmbassyNumber1-20fDF198.jpg

https://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/361749920377_/PARK-DRIVE-Cigarette-empty-slide-shell-10.jpg

https://www.cigarety.by/img/HW0000326.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Senior_Service_cigarettes_pic1.JPG

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6a/7e/41/6a7e41e91556f39f47a4c72619845dfe.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/cigarettecollector.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Players-Austria1-800x673.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:41 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely unfiltered; and not Senior Service or Players, nor Woodbine, as I wouldn't have found that carouse enough to note. Sure they were Embassy but ? Who knows.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:17 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The launch of Channel 4, Spitting Image, officious old crones at the Post Office, etc. Great times! That's how things are supposed to be. I was a kid but remember it all as if it were yesterday. In Uxbridge there are some red phone booths but it's so obviously a gimmick, they don't recollect that era at all. Truthfully, there were fewer people, and there was more space, so you had a bit more leeway to be yourself..

Very interesting and unusual choice to buy a 1983 CB100N as a first bike in 2016/7... Hats off to you. That's a classic bike. You didn't care at all that it's old. Very strange.

It reminds me of when I was a teenager, not allowed to have a bike, and sneaked off to do a CBT when it was a new thing. Think I went to Maidenhead Riverside/Runnymede to do it. Crazy, short Italian guy gave us a lecture on how to 'derestrict' 2-strokes by drilling out an exhaust washer or something. Laughing Sounded cool and rebellious. Then I went hunting for bikes, finding a very dusty and old (even for the time) Suzuki GN100 at a bike garage/dealer. The guy wanted £400 for it I think. I remember giving it the eye, cluelessly 'checking' everything, then remarking that it was dirty. He put some Autosol on a rag, wiped the exhaust and that was it.. Even more impressed. Didn't buy it though. My biking career aborted, until a couple of decades later.

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the old stuff when it comes to vehicles, as well as the CB, I've got a Landy Series 3 from 1978 and my lad (25 years old) has a 1970 Moggy Minor. One of the things I love about the old stuff is a set of spanners/screwdrivers/hammer is pretty much all you need to tinker with them, unlike the modern stuff where you need all of the above, a laptop and a degree from NASA. I know they're old and to some people not as pleasing to the eye as the modern shiny plastic and aluminium stuff, but with a little bit of care and work, there's no reason why I can't keep the old beauties on the road for a good few years, and I love mucking about with them and getting covered in oil. Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan and tef sitting in a tree Laughing

Since i started reading that i have had three mots and two new bikes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:20 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Christ, even for Tef, that's long winded.

You know the Matrix with the Red and Blue pills? We need a fucking tl;dr pill for him.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:31 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Butler wrote:
I love the old stuff when it comes to vehicles
Err... Yeah.... ish..... as LONG as you don't actually have any real 'need' to drive the darn things!!

I'm not so sure I so much appreciate the 'old stuff' as simply cannot find any more enthusiasm or appreciation of the 'new stuff' than I can for a new washing machine.... [shrug]

The Series III's went a L-O-N-G time ago.... and I am rather surprised, TBH, you still have one... talk about a busman's holiday!!! But trying to cram my 6'3" frame int the bucket seated contraption that is a freind's 'Challenge' Defender, recollection of the HMS Bounty tiller trying to chop my legs off at the knees, Aga engine tappets clattering loudly enough to drown out even the ex's wingin'... err... yeah, I DO like my '91 Range-Rover..... just NOT AT THE MOMENT!!!!!

Every damn fuse 'pulled', curtacy light bulbs taken out, curb lamps disconnected; LPG controller isolated; Alarm isolated; there s STILL about a 1-5A 'craw' on the battery, 'somewhere', which has so far worn out two multi-maters, and seen my bald spot increase in size where I have been tearing out what remains of my mop!

Moggy Minors... I had, the pick-up, a '57 model, which had a full rail chassis. I liked that. The half chassis half unitary saloon and traveler? No You can keep'em! Especially the ones I kept coming across with ply wood floors!

Nice spanners? Yeah... ISH! Apart from a tendency, rather like Series III's to be completely frustrated by an utterly random selection of Imperial and Metric fasteners, with more than the odd UNF thrown in to confound 'just' when you thought you had it 'sussed'!!! A-N-D crikey do you need to crack them out often enough!

The '96 Civic I was running about for the last five years, got it's bonnet lifted about half a dozen times.... once to replace the battery, the rest to refill the windscreen washer bottle... might be souless, boring, about as engaging as a washing machine... and when the master cylinder eventually 'went' was effectively a write off.... B-U-T... a bit like a bic biro, you DO have to respect the disposable convenience some-what!

When it comes to such mechanical eccentricity.. CB100N? Well, WHY short change yourself! I have another CB125 Twin that I am trying to find the enthusiasm to renovate! If you like such masochistic madness, could be RIGHT up your street Laughing Hey, at least all the nuts and bolts are metric!

Stan Butler
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:43 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
...Apart from a tendency, rather like Series III's to be completely frustrated by an utterly random selection of Imperial and Metric fasteners, with more than the odd UNF thrown in to confound 'just' when you thought you had it 'sussed'!!! A-N-D crikey do you need to crack them out often enough!

lol, nail hit firmly on head. If I find two nuts/bolts of the same size I feel like I've bloody won something, sad ain't it? Very Happy

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:09 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Brumie Engineering. Workshop of the world. I'd ramble on about the true father of the Industrial revolution, Brummie, Mathew Bolton, without whom, we'd have never heard of that Scot, Watt! As well as Wilkinson and his swords and boring cannon, amongst other noteables. These are, rather like Renaisance 'Masters' the names we remember, but like them, often forgoten are the obscure artisans who usually did most of their work! Which begs mention of the Bee-zah! The guild of Birmingham gunsmiths and assocated trades, who amalgumated in order to compete for Navy contracts during the 1700's, to become the mighty BSA coproration, rather than Joseph Witworth, the eccentric British noble, who 'invented' standardisation and the concept of limits and fits.. as well as the gun that killed the Bufalo and destroyed the Indian Nations! But that's another story, into which comes the Lee-Enfeld Three-oh-Three rifle, that created an empire.

Hard to believe that such an empire as the world has ever seen was created on the products chucked out of Brummie workshops really.... BUT.. spanner scrattin, IS the Brummie revenge for laughing at "aw-wur ack-sint", and thinking we must be daft 'cos we sownd da-aft!

Well, that and Longbridge tin worm. They bred them on a farm near Bromsgrove, you know? Lickey End, got it's name 'cos the chap that fitted them, decided how many worms each car needed by tasting the metal, would yaw billeeeve!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2