Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Straightening Aluminium Frames

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jaydaw76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:41 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Straightening Aluminium Frames Reply with quote

Is it common practice and safe to straighten Aluminium bike frames?

I've a GSX-R trackbike with a slight twist in the frame (front wheel offest to the side by approx 5mm).

I've already spoken to a few of the companies who advertise that they can straighten Aluminium frames, however, after speaking to John from B&C motorcycles (straightened frames for years supposedly) I'm not so sure. John was adamant that Aluminium frames can't be straightened, especially the cast type. He said that although you may be able to bent the frame back the whole frame must be stress relieved by heating it in an oven after, and no one does this in the UK that he was aware of. Apparently anyone who says they can straighten an Aluminium frame is !#%£@

What I'd like to know is, who's had an Aluminium frame successfully straightened and did you have any problems with it after?

Also what bike/frame was it?

Thanks in advance.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:13 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are people who claim to do it, and some of those I would trust.

But an important thing is jigging it up to know whether it really is bent (rather than yokes or swinging arm).

All the best

Katy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5mm is not enough to be concerned about. I have ridden bikes where the front wheel is 20mm to the left but it rides exactly as it should. Better and cheaper to replace frame with a good used one.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right about needing heat treating afterwards. It may even need it before, depending on the particular alloy and how it's hardened. You stand a very real risk of it snapping during the straightening (5mm is a large amount to move a piece of metal), or introducing a stress point that starts a fracture afterwards without it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:04 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Straightening Aluminium Frames Reply with quote

Jaydaw76 wrote:
Is it common practice and safe to straighten Aluminium bike frames?

I've a GSX-R trackbike with a slight twist in the frame (front wheel offest to the side by approx 5mm).

Thanks in advance.

Seriously - 5mm? You're not going to notice that. I know a guy with an alignment machine who has checked brand new bikes and found them further out than that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a buddy who had a 2013 zx6 frame straightened up front.
It was far enough out that the wheel was catching the headers when the forks depressed.
Upshot is it got straightened but cracked along the bottom, a little welding and it's holding up great. Wouldn't get back on the road but is good for the track (what it was bought for).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a frame done but have had forks, yokes and wheels done.

I like these guys I'd use them if I have to get it done.

https://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-frame-straightening/racing.php

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that small an amount isnt going to be causing problems, and personally Id rather be riding on a reframed trackbike than one that has had questionable straightening done to it.

Straightening ally frames isnt cheap if its done right, thats why its reserved for rare stuff like marteks not I assume a watercooled GSXR.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who had the head-angle changed on an ally frame by stretching it over several hours, to give more clearance between the wheel and the pipes for a turbo and intercooler.

I also know someone who had an ally-framed CBR600 put in a jig to pull the front out and it pulled the bearing seats oval.

Take it to the right person and it'll get done right. Take it to a hack and who knows what might happen.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Do you find the handling odd or any issues with the bike?

Or do you just want to straighten the frame 'because'?

If it's the latter I'd live with it personally.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1