BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:31 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Aprilia RS125 Reply with quote

Hi, have been looking arount the internet and couldn´t really find an anwser. I´ve been thinking about starting trackdays but I ride a classical bike, so need to get one just for this puropose. I´m 28 and been riding for at least 12 years.
Main concern is if a 125cc bike will be outgrown to fast or is there still potential for a season or two. Thinking about the older onest, that are 115kg and with the rotax engines, witch produce around 25kw.
I like to think it´s a good bike to start since it´s lightweight and cheap to run and own, but there are definitely things I´m not considering...

Thanks for the help,
Andre

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 125 isn't a usual choice for trackdays.

Any reason why you are choosing the 125 route over the more popular 600+cc trackday bikes?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:57 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS125 Reply with quote

If you had one already, sure do a trackday or two.

But I wouldn't go out and get one.

I'd say you'll straight away find it lacking compared to other options.

Personally I'd say go for a sports 600.
Enough power to keep up and you don't need to be a massively faster rider to keep up with or pass litre bikes.

Even an RS250 I found a bit annoying on track - at Cadwell I spent a good bit of a day getting a bit frustrated with the same R1.

There are cheaper ways to do trackdays, but an older one isn't too bad on fuel/tyres/purchase cost and should be plenty of spares around.

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:27 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the only reason is there´s a few on sale for dirt cheap money and it seems there´s enough spares as well, since I already have a road bike and a trials bike (more like a project that´s almost done) it didn´t seem like a good idea to spend TOO much money for this at first.
The second reason for considering this is I´d like to have it road legal (at fist) so it´s again cheaper to insure.
Third - I live in Estonia, so we only have one proper track but way more kart tracks and theese will be the main starting ground so I thought lacking the top speed isn´t that much of a problem as long as I can keep the speed up and if this bike well make me a better driver by the end of 2017 it would have fulfilled it´s purpose Smile

But looks like a R4 600cc would be a more reasonable way to go, although I´ve seen a lot of people recomending the SV650.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:10 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah; if you've got the option for kart tracks an RS125 might make sense.

In the UK there's a big market of cheap 600cc track bikes, with lots of spares.

Also, we have an SV650 race series, so there are lots available (though the 600s are often cheaper.)

As standard however, the RS125 is a bit soggy for track and the brakes aren't amazing.

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still sounds like it might not be the best idea Smile so, maybe I really shouldn´t jump the gun on the RS125.
I have always had a thing for supermoto bikes but if talking about buget, I´m guessing that´s also not really a better version. Even with a LC4.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stomping ground is likely to be kart tracks a super moto style pit bike might be an even better solution. You can get road legal versions of those too, spares and upgrades are limitless for pit bikes.

Depending on the kart track, I think even an RS125 might be OTT.

This sort of thing:

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/10870/supermoto-pit-bike-racing-nmrrc-get-involved/

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:29 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.go-kart-racing.com/go-kart-racing-circuit/ This would be the one closest to me!
I have thought about pit bikes also, they just seem so small, but I´m sure they´re fun as hell.
It´s a pitty we don´t have the CBR250 from 90´s, when I was in Australia I picked a non-running bike up for 250$ and spent somewhere around 300 on it and man, what a bike. But they were only sold in Japan and maybe a few exports but not to the EU. Loved that bike, really light but still packed a punch.
https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/Andre_Petraudze/IMG_1156_zpso14i38vm.jpg

Last edited by AndreP on 17:21 - 10 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:16 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a good few CBR250RRs, ZXR250s etc imported to the UK - ridden quite a few of other people's who'd had them; but we're talking ten to fifteen years ago.
I much preferred the Aprilia RS250 (I did own a couple of these - lighter, but more power and a nice powerbandy hit).

Anyway - pitbikes with CRF70 frames aren't that small - actually some shorter people prefer the smaller CRF50 frame'd ones because they find the CRF70 ones a bit too big!
Physically they are smaller, but getting them road legal in your country may be an issue.

One big benefit of them and supermotos is they tend to crash pretty well.

The track you link to should do ok for anything from a faster minimoto to maybe an SV650 - go above that and the bike isn't offering you more.

Me, I think I'd just keep an eye out for what available that's ideally ready for track use - so suspension setup for hard use and that has good availability of parts.

I don't know what the different scenes are like in your country. Have you been along when there's a lot of bike people there?
Seeing what they ride will give you an idea and it can be nice to have a similar bike to others out there so you can be involved more. Also might find people with a setup bike for sale.

Sure you'll have fun whatever it is!

AndreP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and help, I´ll see where it get´s me and what will I end up eventually.
Going to scrap the RS125 idea for now, either way there´s no riding before spring, so I´m able to save up some more money and hopefully find the right bike Smile

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndreP wrote:

https://www.go-kart-racing.com/go-kart-racing-circuit/ This would be the one closest to me!

Going to scrap the RS125 idea for now

Don't do that! All things considered*, I don't think the RS125 is a bad idea, that Kart track looks big enough for it to get up to speed and it will be light enough to throw around a bit! Smile

*mostly that it will be used on a kart track not a full-size race track
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1