Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

(newbie) Clicking noise when spinning tire/won't roll back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bjolliffe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:54 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: (newbie) Clicking noise when spinning tire/won't roll back Reply with quote

Hello all. My grandfather has gotten too old to ride his motorcycle anymore and I've always wanted one, so I bought his 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 (a bit much for a first bike I know) from him. It's been sitting for years, so I went to warm up the oil for a change by driving it down the street. First couple hundred feet were good, but a knocking started when accelerating. I immediately let off the gas and turned back for the house. I gave it a bit more gas and then I heard a good knock and then a whirring noise that winded down along with the speed of the bike. I was able to coast it to the house for the most part. Now there's a obvious clicking noise while rolling in neutral. Got the rear tire off the ground and spun. Same thing. I can feel the clicking the best when my hand is sitting on the left side crankcase cover. Along with that the bike sometimes won't roll backwards (neutral or clutch disengaged doesn't make a difference) . If I rock it, it will make a pop eventually then it rolls freely again. One more thing is that I have to give it much more throttle to begin moving than I should have to. If anybody has had any similar problems please shoot some ideas my way. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to give as much info as possible.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it roll ok when you tried to push it about before riding it?

Your symptoms sound like a rusted chain but since it's shaft drive it can't be that. Could be a buggered up wheel bearing but the fact that it's freeing up when you rock it make me think it could be a failed bearing in the front bevel box. Certainly, don't ride it again until you've found the fault.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bjolliffe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially it was rolling fine without noise, yes. It sounds almost like it's right below the battery inside the engine. Ill definitely have to consider those. Thank you.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:04 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First job is to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from. I would recommend buying a bike lift - cruiser style ones that lift under the engine cost from about £60 (so under $100 if you're American) and are worth having to work on a big heavy bike like that.

Usually clicking from the drivetrain/wheels is down to a failed wheel bearing or a problem in the final drive - rusty chain as Pete said, or something in the bevel box on a shaft drive bike. Get the bike on the lift, spin the wheels by hand, see what noise it makes.

If the clicking only happens with the engine running, it could just be an exhaust gasket. When they fail they make a metallic ticking noise, like someone tapping a spanner on the frame. The rear exhaust gasket is close to the battery box. They cost pennies.

Make sure it has oil in the engine and the final drive, too.

Bjolliffe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:14 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking its in the drive train somewhere. The only time I hear it is when the bike is rolling. I jacked the rear wheel off of the ground and spun the tire. The noise occurs with engine off, in neutral when the back tire is spinning only. I've been looking at lifts, but that's the only thing keeping me from working on it at this point. On payday I'll pick one up. My next intention is to pull the rear wheel off and see if I can spin the drive shaft to reproduce the noise. The bike only has about 10k miles on it, so I'm hoping it's something inexpensive and a result of being stationary so long.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:14 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through this thread and it really does sound like possibly the front bevel drive, either teeth or bearing. Not sure on this bike whether the front bevel would be lubricated by the engine oil or its own supply.
Sorry not much help but do let us know what it is when you get there. Nice looking bike BTW! Would love one with a chair on.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1