BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to the forum, new to bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:42 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated 'hello' to you sir. Good show getting on two wheels, I hope it all goes well and you pass your tests soon. It's nice that your first posts were written well, it bodes well for the future; BCF as a collective appreciates a good grasp of the written word. Also a good story will go a long way, especially if it involves injury for some reason...!

It's interesting that you steered away from an enduro, and into the realms of sports/sport touring. Similar thing happened to me; I was getting everything BUT a sports bike until I actually thought about it and started looking properly.

Enjoy!

🏍

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:43 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest my first experience of a sports bike put me off, but it was a short run on a 636 on a bumpy driveway with people watching and it felt awful. Having put some thought into it I knew that once I got over the initial fear I would be fine.

I found my cbr600f to be very comfortable, whereas the RR versions etc seemed a bit more intimidating. I also like the idea that it should handle very well, giving me a lot of room to grow into it. If it can be ridden knee down loony style then me wobbling around shouldnt be a problem. Had a lesson on monday and felt like everything really 'clicked' - rather than worrying about where my shoulder checks should be, what gear am I in and where has that bloody car gone I just started to sit back and really enjoy it.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:44 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my mod 1 Very Happy

I had a 40 minute ride home after the test (all went well, 0 minors) and felt on top of the world. Mod 2 should be mid January, we are going to do a 'brush up' lesson and then attempt it. Really happy with myself, I will buy a new battery and get it fitted in preparation next week.

Sorry for the relatively boring post, but I dont really have anyone to tell and I just wanted to share.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Good luck with Mod2. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. That's the daft, pointless one out of the way. Mod 2 is just a ride around. Cautious in, confident out, winner all the way.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:47 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Mod 1 was the one that had me most worried, as it seemed very binary and strange. Im fairly certain that the mod 2 should be easier, as it is just a hours ride around like I do every week. I am really nervous, but I suppose it would be odd if there were no nerves at all. More than anything I just want to get out on my own bike, on my own time.

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:12 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can conquer the nerves for mod1 I'm sure you'll be fine on mod 2.i was a wreck and passed so don't worry too much,think they expect nerves.good luck with it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Mod 1 was the one that had me most worried, as it seemed very binary and strange. Im fairly certain that the mod 2 should be easier, as it is just a hours ride around like I do every week.

Yes it's and yes it's Smile Mod 2's actually enjoyable, it just feels like going for a ride with someone following you.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 21 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod2's easy, remember to do lifesavers, cancel indicators and keep a safe distance, rest is common (road)sense that you already have wot with having a car licence already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:01 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the big day is here (tomorrow, actually). Had a last minute 'brush up' lesson today and it was easily the worst lesson I have had. Wrong lanes for roundabouts, false neutrals, the works. Im really, really hoping that I do better on the mod 2 test as otherwise they are going to fail me before I leave the car park!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll do grand! You've got the fuckups out of your system already!

I've said it elsewhere, but the attitude test goes a long way with the examiners, be polite and avoid being a cocky little shit and it will be grand.

Enjoy taking the CBR out after the test - I found mine fucking scary the first time!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:37 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:55 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck, and Paddy will have your CBR when you crash it.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers chaps, I passed! Really pleased. 2 minors, both of which were in the last 5 minutes of the test as I was returning to the test centre. Paddy can keep his money, for now anyway, as I wont be riding until thursday due to insurance etc. Im in Bracknell/Reading area so will try and get along to some of the bikey spots around here (if there are any?!?) as soon as I can.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such success, many win!

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:09 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much win, as it turns out 'arry! I couldnt wait, so got it insured and have just got back. It feels amazingly nimble, much less vague than the NC750 I learnt on. After hearing everyone slag off 4pots for no low end torque I am quite pleasantly suprised, it just wants to go.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Enjoy your new bike!

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bozzy!

Went out tonight with a pal on his zx9r, just driving gently getting used to it. Every time I tried to keep speed level, the little red 'FI' light came on and cut all power for a second or so. Got it home and just as I pulled in the whole bike lost all electrical power (felt like a fuse had gone).

Pretty gutted as I was starting to actually enjoy it instead of wobbling around scared, but I have to learn to use a spanner at some point, it might as well be now Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Paddy's erection intensifies>

Good on you, better late than never.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:26 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowsider wrote:
Cheers Bozzy!

Went out tonight with a pal on his zx9r, just driving gently getting used to it. Every time I tried to keep speed level, the little red 'FI' light came on and cut all power for a second or so. Got it home and just as I pulled in the whole bike lost all electrical power (felt like a fuse had gone).

Pretty gutted as I was starting to actually enjoy it instead of wobbling around scared, but I have to learn to use a spanner at some point, it might as well be now Crying or Very sad

Could it be a short somewhere?

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:30 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, I am an idiot. Battery terminal came off, as I didnt do it up properly. Sorry rogerborg, you will have to let paddy know that it may be at least another week until the discounted mess will be available.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2