BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What a tw*t!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlocks are horrible at night, and only help so much with steaming up. My Bell lid without is as good as my Nitro was with a pinlock.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the yellow pinlock Embarassed
In my defence, on the packet it did say they did different colours and I assumed I had the yellow one. Felt a right plum in the bike shop when someone asked me if the vision was a bit blurry.

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pinlocks are horrible at night, and only help so much with steaming up. My Bell lid without is as good as my Nitro was with a pinlock.

Absolutely, I never needed a pin lock with my bell helmet either. Just proves that it can be done right if companies want to.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's funny but I've got a pinlock with my Nitro and it's bloody great. Rode home from my parents last night when it was pissing it down and it didn't mist up a jot.[/code]

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've still never got one to work properly for more than a single trip.

First one fitted by the shop lasted an hour. It still steamed up and made the light glare from the oncoming traffic worse than without it so it got hoyed over my shoulder in a tear-off style at 100mph on the A1M.

Fitted one to my current visor and it buckled in one corner when I left the helmet out in the sunlight (in Wales in February). Removed it and packed it away in a map.

Tried to refit it recently having flattened out the buckle with a hairdrier but there's still simply no way it will fit without fouling on one of the visor seals somewhere when you move the visor. It either stops the visor closing properly or catches and rubs against a seal when you raise it.

Getting the seal to make contact with the visor all the way round is also a near impossability on my Aeroh lid then if you do it catches the helmet seal and moves. Yes it's a very concave visor in a very compact helmet but if they can't make one that fits, they shouldn't sell it.

The only way I can see of getting it to work with my lid would be to fit it and never open the visor again. This would be fine if they actually didn't steam up but they do, to the extent you can't see.

I still look forwards to the day when someone makes a laminate glass visor with a heating element.

There is a product called RainPal.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I've still never got one to work properly for more than a single trip.

First one fitted by the shop lasted an hour. It still steamed up and made the light glare from the oncoming traffic worse than without it so it got hoyed over my shoulder in a tear-off style at 100mph on the A1M.

Fitted one to my current visor and it buckled in one corner when I left the helmet out in the sunlight (in Wales in February). Removed it and packed it away in a map.

Tried to refit it recently having flattened out the buckle with a hairdrier but there's still simply no way it will fit without fouling on one of the visor seals somewhere when you move the visor. It either stops the visor closing properly or catches and rubs against a seal when you raise it.

Getting the seal to make contact with the visor all the way round is also a near impossability on my Aeroh lid then if you do it catches the helmet seal and moves. Yes it's a very concave visor in a very compact helmet but if they can't make one that fits, they shouldn't sell it.

The only way I can see of getting it to work with my lid would be to fit it and never open the visor again. This would be fine if they actually didn't steam up but they do, to the extent you can't see.

I still look forwards to the day when someone makes a laminate glass visor with a heating element.

There is an imaginary product called RainPal.

ftfy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is amazing Laughing

Even i've not done that with pinlock. I have however done the nearly as stupid ridden off with disc lock still on....a couple of times Rolling Eyes

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a pinlock and respro foggy (stops glasses fogging), with the respro probably wouldn't need the pinlock, however combined guarantees no fogging on visor or glasses

Shinigami wrote:

Even i've not done that with pinlock. I have however done the nearly as stupid ridden off with disc lock still on....a couple of times Rolling Eyes

no reminder cable?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:44 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the people who say their pinlock is steaming up. I've had them for 6 years and they have never steamed up, and I'm a right sweaty fucker in the summer. The visor all the way around the pinlock is steamed up and sometimes even wet, but the pinlock stays dry and perfectly clear.

I know it's difficult sometimes, but it really sounds like installation error to me. Just adjust the screws if they're starting to lift and the seal is breaking.

I've tried to start the bike with the kill switch off a few times, mainly because my mate finds it hilarious to knock it when I'm not around.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
I'm surprised at the people who say their pinlock is steaming up. I've had them for 6 years and they have never steamed up, and I'm a right sweaty fucker in the summer. The visor all the way around the pinlock is steamed up and sometimes even wet, but the pinlock stays dry and perfectly clear.

I know it's difficult sometimes, but it really sounds like installation error to me. Just adjust the screws if they're starting to lift and the seal is breaking.

I've tried to start the bike with the kill switch off a few times, mainly because my mate finds it hilarious to knock it when I'm not around.

i've never had a pinlock fog up either, always clear

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find they can steam up too - on the inside surface (towards my face, not the surface towards the visor). Still better than nothing, although I've found the on on my Schuberth c3pro to be a real pain to seal - it's fine for a day or two, then needs reseating. No amount of twiddling has sorted it, and this visor steams up horribly if I don't use it. It seems that the curvature of the visor is just wrong.

The one on my shark didn't need tweaking anywhere near as much, but still needed the respro to be fully clear - and using the non-pinlock visor with the respro last winter was just as good (I bought a new pinlock fit that helmet but never got around to fitting it).

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be why, I've only ever had AGV helmets with quite a shallow curve to the visor. I can see why a deep curve could perhaps disturb the pinlock and create a shite seal.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:51 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
Still get that moment of panic when the bike wont start and you realise you knocked off the kill switch

Happened when I bought the NTV, the seller tried for 5 minutes to start the bike, choke on, off, halfway on, still no joy, whirr, whirr, whirr, I walked up to it, pressed the big red switch, vroom!

He he he!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

InB4 FogPal

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pinlock has been fine on my HJC now for nearly 3 years, but it was put on a brand new visor and the whole process was kept 100% clean. I have never taken it off and would not expect it to reseal properly if I did.

I suppose they are fine if treated as a permanent part of the visor.

Mine's showing signs of scratching and abrasion now, and I was only considering replacement last night, but I think I will now have a closer look and see if I can peel off any unnoticed protective film for a bonus new lease of life!

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:02 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha thread makes me feel so much better...

I did the same Smile

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the posts on this thread and thinking " Christ people like us trust ourselves to go out on our bikes"
Pretty damn dangerous when you think about it Shocked Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

I wish someone would explain how the fuck me installing it incorrectly could make it steam up?

I'm not talking about fogging between the pinlock and the visor. I'm talking about the insert itself, on the surface nearest my face, steaming up when I exhale. In slow traffic, it does so sufficiently to totally obscure my vision meaning I have to open the visor and I may as well not have bothered with it in the first place.

Anyway. I'm never buying another one. They've already had £40 of my money and they aren't getting any more.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Holdawayt wrote:

I wish someone would explain how the fuck me installing it incorrectly could make it steam up?

I'm not talking about fogging between the pinlock and the visor. I'm talking about the insert itself, on the surface nearest my face, steaming up when I exhale. In slow traffic, it does so sufficiently to totally obscure my vision meaning I have to open the visor and I may as well not have bothered with it in the first place.

Anyway. I'm never buying another one. They've already had £40 of my money and they aren't getting any more.

Maybe you just have an unusual ammount of moisture in your lungs.
Like Rising damp Laughing

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my pinloc last Friday. It had been fine for 3 months without issue and then it failed when i needed it mostest.

torrential rain on the m4 at night time rush hour. The entire pinloc cavity(if you can call it that) steamed up and no amount of wipeing or riding with visor open would sort it

im not so sure why i even bothered with it as at motorway speeds the steam isnt an issue. a brief open and shut of the visor tends to sort it out

This is the second pinloc ive had. The first kept slipping down and letting moisture in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2