Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki KMX 125 1987 Restoration... Electrics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JamesKMX99
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:53 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Kawasaki KMX 125 1987 Restoration... Electrics Reply with quote

[url]
Hi all

I bought a running KMX for £325 and after looking on eBay at prices it was a steal. It was very tatty and needs some serious tlc but I've taken it on as a project.

I did a carb clean and spark plug change for good measure recently after a few months of me just using it for fun around fields. Before I cleaned the carb the bike was running.

I changed the spark plug first before the carb clean and with the new spark plug from cold it started first kick.

After cleaning th carb and reinstalling It the Bike wouldn't start so I took the spark plug out and tested it by grounding it to the frame and got no spark. I am stuck on what to do having no experience in electrics on a bike. After some research I got a multimeter and tested the ignition coil and didn't get any reading. Saying that I have no idea if I tested it correctly.

I stripped the electrical tape to see if it was moisture on the wires causing them to short but saw nothing.

Need some pointers to carry forward. thanks [/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the safety switches which can prevent the bike from starting.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:28 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On a Kawasaki of that age the first thing to check is probably the side stand cutout switch, or if bypassed / removed that it is still bypassed correctly

All the best

Katy

JamesKMX99
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:01 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side stand switch has been removed, and was running previously before taking the carb out. I will check it and see if there are any bypass issues but it seems unlikely.

I had to move cables out of the way to remove the carb.

Would there be anything in the alternator which I should look at which could be causing an issue?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on Youtube on how to test your coil using a multimeter

Least you will know that is all good.

what condition is the plug/ cap an lead like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JamesKMX99
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
what condition is the plug/ cap an lead like?

If you could send me a link to a good one to use as all the ones i have found are electric start, when testing I did crank the kick start but no reading.

The spark cap looks aesthetically in good condition, no reason why it should not be working.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/733912/Kawasaki-Kx125.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1