BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What a blast!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: What a blast! Reply with quote

Took the beast (ok, 650 bandit) for its first motorway outing today (M5/M50) following Mod 2 just before Christmas. Just amazing after 2 years on a 125, loving it, still speechless. If there were any doubts about starting biking at 69 i'm a convert now. Laughing
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:07 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bandit 650 at 69 is a brave choice. There are lighter bikes out there. There are lighter aircraft carriers out there. Whistle

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A Bandit 650 at 69 is a brave choice. There are lighter bikes out there. There are lighter aircraft carriers out there. Whistle

Yeah, but I'm a big fat bastard myself, although admittedly getting it on the centre stand is hernia-inducing and I'd struggle if I dropped it.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:43 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you trading it in for a blade then? Dance!

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

misstrish wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Yeah, but I'm a big fat bastard myself, although admittedly getting it on the centre stand is hernia-inducing and I'd struggle if I dropped it.

Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to ride a 650 Bandit down the motorway coming back from my test... I hated every minute of it Very Happy

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:35 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be happy if I still have control of all my bodily functions at 69, let alone be blasting down a motorway on a bike! Good on you and what is your secret to eternal youth? Peter is that you?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_80 wrote:
Good on you and what is your secret to eternal youth?

OP is Benjamin Button, sadly they will soon be too "young" to ride a motorcycle. Sad

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:08 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Dave_80 wrote:
Good on you and what is your secret to eternal youth?

OP is Benjamin Button, sadly they will soon be too "young" to ride a motorcycle. Sad

lol, always been an adrenaline junkie I suppose and biking is an itch I never got round to scratching before, retirement can get a bit tedious. No illusions about the march of time. Everyone's reactions slow and concentration wanders more, but if I can keep at it for another 3-5 years without potatoing I'll be happy.

Jon

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

misstrish wrote:

lol, always been an adrenaline junkie I suppose and biking is an itch I never got round to scratching before, retirement can get a bit tedious. No illusions about the march of time. Everyone's reactions slow and concentration wanders more, but if I can keep at it for another 3-5 years without potatoing I'll be happy.

Jon

How come you have both a "miss trish" and "Jon" persona btw?
If it's a gender alignment thing I apologise.
However I ask as I was not sure how to word my previous post "he/she? ...meh they" Smile

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
misstrish wrote:

Jon

How come you have both a "miss trish" and "Jon" persona btw?
If it's a gender alignment thing I apologise.
However I ask as I was not sure how to word my previous post "he/she? ...meh they" Smile

I used to use the miss trish handle because I had a boat of that name. My wife called her my mistress (geddit?) because I spent more time with it than with her Smile .
I'll probably change it when I think of something else.
Jon

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

misstrish wrote:
I used to use the miss trish handle because I had a boat of that name. My wife called her my mistress (geddit?) because I spent more time with it than with her Smile .
I'll probably change it when I think of something else.
Jon

Potential wind up opportunity missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits are easy to get on the centre stand if you know how. I keep watching my friends standing on the centrestand lever and pulling back on the bars. This pushes the back down so it's really hard to get on the stand.

Once you have the bike where you want it, right foot on the stand until both of the stand's feet touch the ground, now take your right hand off the bars and reach under the tail unit, there's a little grab handle. A gentle tug upwards as you put some weight on the stand lever and it will pop right up.

If you are still having trouble check the preload on the rear shock has not been wound all the way low.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Bandits are easy to get on the centre stand if you know how.

The correct technique will help no doubt but I can't imagine attempting to hoof my 200kg ZR7S onto a centre stand at 69. Rather handle the overweight lard while I'm "young n fit" and enjoy something lighter and more nimble as the years go on.

Bikes of such weight can quickly bite you on the arse if you get it wrong. Not only through the strain it can put on you if the correct technique isn't used but also because there's less room to get it wrong.. as I found out when my foot slipped of the centrestand because I'd walked on wet ground and luck alone saved me from becoming a pancake or taking a good old sleep in the hedge with the bike.

Fair play OP for attempting to tame such a heavy bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1