Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pre-Purchase Checks on Bike - How Far Is Too Far?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:15 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how MCN reckon the XT660Z does 120mph Very Happy MT-03 100mph and ER5 110mph (apparently). I know the MT-03 will do 110mph so I'd expect maybe a little more out of a good ER5. Anyway the MT-03 accelerates well to 80 which's all I need, anymore and my head normally wants to detach itself from my body.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:34 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
It's had a respray so it's probably been shiny side down at some point in it's life. Only to be expected for an entry/commuter bike of that age and mileage, I guess.

Tawny wrote:
Go and ask the owner why he stopped one mile before he got to the MOT station to take all these photos of his bike in July last year.

The length of the shadows in the photos suggests they *were* taken in the summer. That deciduous tree in photo 3 looks to be in leaf too. Old pics. It could be he's tried (unsuccessfully) to sell the bike before and the photos are from then. MOT station may be only a mile away.

I agree with all the above. The forks have been painted along with the bodywork (primer overspray on the clocks and instruments) but the rear axle bolt and adjusters still show the bike's 'true' condition.

That bike's a real tart-up. I bet it's falling apart under all that shiney, or at least a single winter would see it revert to dog-status.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:55 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
The length of the shadows in the photos suggests they *were* taken in the summer. That deciduous tree in photo 3 looks to be in leaf too.

Plus, if you zoom in:

https://i.imgur.com/I2EvWRh.png

Hahah, amazing Rogerborg. Not sure if others have noticed.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
It looks like the current owner has mostly been polishing it and not riding, while one or two of its previous owners has ridden it to hell and back. The mileage confuses me too. However, given the screen and the top box, I would say someone rode it a lot at some point. Check that the engine number matches the one on the V5C. Couriers used to swap them out instead of fixing or repairing them. I note that the engine has been sprayed black. How recently? What's that on the rear swingarm? Looks like something dripping down it. Is the owner so desperate to get rid of this bike that they've tarted it up just for the Ebay photos?

That mileage, even if genuine (which is doubtful, going by the MOT history) is excessive. And the bike is far too shiny.

I really don't like it. Odometer reading at time of MOT (July 2016): "49,721 miles". Current miles on clock in Ebay photo: "49720".

Go and ask the owner why he stopped one mile before he got to the MOT station to take all these photos of his bike in July last year.

angryjonny wrote:
It's had a respray so it's probably been shiny side down at some point in it's life. Only to be expected for an entry/commuter bike of that age and mileage, I guess.

Tawny wrote:

The length of the shadows in the photos suggests they *were* taken in the summer. That deciduous tree in photo 3 looks to be in leaf too. Old pics. It could be he's tried (unsuccessfully) to sell the bike before and the photos are from then. MOT station may be only a mile away.

Pete. wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Tawny wrote:

I agree with all the above. The forks have been painted along with the bodywork (primer overspray on the clocks and instruments) but the rear axle bolt and adjusters still show the bike's 'true' condition.

That bike's a real tart-up. I bet it's falling apart under all that shiney, or at least a single winter would see it revert to dog-status.

Those are all good observations that I hadn't noticed, cheers guys.

I'll be casting as critical an eye as I can muster over the bike tonight. I think that this is going to be a case of judging on the bike on it's conditions but I can't say I am particularly optimistic at this point.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
I note that the engine has been sprayed black. How recently?

What's that on the rear swingarm? Looks like something dripping down it.

Yes and no. Left hand side of the engine appears to have been resprayed in the standard grey. Right hand side hasn't and has paint missing. Potentially from being slid down the road, but maybe just wear off the rider's foot. If it's gone down I'd say it's gone down on it's left as that side is the side that's suspiciously tidy.

Mess on the swingarm looks to me to be cable ties holding on a scottoiler or equivalent.

Radiator cover was chrome on my old ER5. This one looks to have been sprayed silver.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:52 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Tawny wrote:
I note that the engine has been sprayed black. How recently?

What's that on the rear swingarm? Looks like something dripping down it.

Yes and no. Left hand side of the engine appears to have been resprayed in the standard grey. Right hand side hasn't and has paint missing. Potentially from being slid down the road, but maybe just wear off the rider's foot. If it's gone down I'd say it's gone down on it's left as that side is the side that's suspiciously tidy.

Mess on the swingarm looks to me to be cable ties holding on a scottoiler or equivalent.

Radiator cover was chrome on my old ER5. This one looks to have been sprayed silver.

Well the advert does say it comes with a loobman oiler. The resprays do give me pause, however.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Maybe, but silver was an ER5 colour, and the radiator shoulders on the silver ER5 weren't chrome but the same dull silver as the rest of the bike. I would guess the radiator protector shoulders either come from a different bike (in which case they're part of accident damage repair), or else the original colour of this bike was silver. I note that the right side of the engine case is poorly sprayed in black, and there's a scratch down the sprayed black finish, but the engine bars on both sides are spotless and immaculate.

I would surmise that the seller or a previous owner has substantially rebuilt the bike after a wreck. No reason for the engine bars to look that good when the engine itself looks a bit shabby, and there's no mark on the radiator shoulders.

Interesting that the seller has an actual hardcopy Haynes manual, when it's on the internet as a PDF. If it was a serious project bike/rebuild, he would have wanted that manual available to hand without needing a computer or tablet. It's all suspicious.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the silver ER5 had a black grab handle. Some red ones did. Could just be another replaced part of course. My suspicion is that the side fairings are the original red and the slightly orangier tank and rear fairings are the respray colour.

The mess on the end of the right hand bar end suggests it's been slid down the road at some point too. That and the scratches on the engine are starting to tell a story.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:07 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the test ride/viewing. Bike is more or less as expected. Same bike, but less shiny. Bit of mud on it and a few extra miles (like a prat I forgot to take a note of it, but was consistent with seller claim to take it for short run once a month). All was in good order, with a few exceptions:

Arrow rust on the rear facing bit of end can

Arrow rattle from clocks when riding, seemed to be the plastic front cover of the speedo (incidentally, the rev counter has a little hole just off centre....like a tiny bullet hole Thinking, works fine though).

Arrow 14V on battery when idling Question Seemed high but never went over 14.5V even at 5000 RPM. Don't really know what to make of that.

Arrow This weird gap, which is...what? A badly fitting gasket on the head? Is it supposed to be like that?

https://s28.postimg.org/6q1bc6adp/IMG_20170106_184929339.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/uif81g1sd/IMG_20170106_184934779.jpg

Arrow Bottom of fan behind radiator (the mounting plate?) a bit rusty.

https://s29.postimg.org/e7hvdnll3/Fan.jpg

As for the ride, it was absolutely fine as far as I can tell, it pulled well all the way into 5th (up to 65) even managed a shaky set off from the lights in 3rd when I forgot to change down. Brakes as good as can be expected (and totally in line with what I am used to coming from a cg125). Throttle and clutch smooth. Thought engine might be clattery but its significantly less pronounced than on my CG, and that turned out to simply be the sound of an engine with tappets.

Tawny wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Maybe, but silver was an ER5 colour, and the radiator shoulders on the silver ER5 weren't chrome but the same dull silver as the rest of the bike. I would guess the radiator protector shoulders either come from a different bike (in which case they're part of accident damage repair), or else the original colour of this bike was silver. I note that the right side of the engine case is poorly sprayed in black, and there's a scratch down the sprayed black finish, but the engine bars on both sides are spotless and immaculate.

I would surmise that the seller or a previous owner has substantially rebuilt the bike after a wreck. No reason for the engine bars to look that good when the engine itself looks a bit shabby, and there's no mark on the radiator shoulders.

Interesting that the seller has an actual hardcopy Haynes manual, when it's on the internet as a PDF. If it was a serious project bike/rebuild, he would have wanted that manual available to hand without needing a computer or tablet. It's all suspicious.

The radiator cover shoulders seem pretty standard for red ER5s. The engine bar's aren't quite as immaculate as the pictures suggest but that discrepancy is interesting, going to see if the seller will fess up to anything before I make a decision.

I think the supposition about the Haynes is going a bit far. I had a Haynes for my CG, not because it was a wreck, but because getting oil/grease/petrol/blood/rain onto a tablet or trying to use the tablet with filthy hands is far from optimal. You might be right but preferring a paper Haynes over a PDF is neither here nor there.

angryjonny wrote:
I don't think the silver ER5 had a black grab handle. Some red ones did. Could just be another replaced part of course. My suspicion is that the side fairings are the original red and the slightly orangier tank and rear fairings are the respray colour.

The mess on the end of the right hand bar end suggests it's been slid down the road at some point too. That and the scratches on the engine are starting to tell a story.

The pictures of the red ones seem to have either red or black grab handles however the actual handle is clearly not the original one. If you have ever used an ER6-N, then the grab handle is very similar to their stock ones.
I didn't notice any obvious colour discrepancies between the front and rear fairings, but I can't rule it out. Also of interest was the side of the exhaust, which was scuffed on the outside in a way eerily reminiscent to my exhaust after sending my CG down (well, across) the road.

Now I did that to my CG on 2 occasions and it never suffered for it. Are these signs that I should have nothing more to do with it? The bike felt mechanically sound and a scruffy bike doesn't bother me, a broken one does.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:45 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Arrow rust on the rear facing bit of end can

Consistent with having been down on the right.

Quote:
Arrow rattle from clocks when riding, seemed to be the plastic front cover of the speedo (incidentally, the rev counter has a little hole just off centre....like a tiny bullet hole Thinking, works fine though).

That's fine.

Quote:
Arrow 14V on battery when idling Question Seemed high but never went over 14.5V even at 5000 RPM. Don't really know what to make of that.

Don't see the problem.

Quote:
Arrow This weird gap, which is...what? A badly fitting gasket on the head? Is it supposed to be like that?

https://s28.postimg.org/6q1bc6adp/IMG_20170106_184929339.jpg

https://s28.postimg.org/uif81g1sd/IMG_20170106_184934779.jpg

That's perfectly normal. There's nothing behind that 'gap'. That rocker cover gasket has been changed, which is a good sign because they all get crumbly and need changing, and it suggests the clearances have been set and other work has been done fairly recently (by 'recently' I mean in the last 6 years Laughing ).

Quote:

A bit rusty? I would guess it's completely seized up, like most things (apart from the engine) on the bike. But not a problem as you're buying a knackered old hack - other stuff will go wrong and it will be terminal long before replacing the fan is on the table.

Quote:
As for the ride, it was absolutely fine as far as I can tell, it pulled well all the way into 5th (up to 65) even managed a shaky set off from the lights in 3rd when I forgot to change down. Brakes as good as can be expected (and totally in line with what I am used to coming from a cg125). Throttle and clutch smooth. Thought engine might be clattery but its significantly less pronounced than on my CG, and that turned out to simply be the sound of an engine with tappets.

It should sound clattery only when idling. At other times, it should have a more harmonious sound.

Quote:
Now I did that to my CG on 2 occasions and it never suffered for it. Are these signs that I should have nothing more to do with it? The bike felt mechanically sound and a scruffy bike doesn't bother me, a broken one does.

What I would do personally if I needed a bike to ride would be to invest a little more money and get something newer and better than a high mileage ER5. This one will be hiding some gremlins and will need work. However, as a project, or a second bike, it would be fine, depending on how much you paid for it. If you had a van, a place to put it, and a spare £500 floating around, and the time and the inclination, and you didn't need it as a rider, then it would be an investment. In parts alone, it's worth a fair amount and you would make money on it. But you're not a breaker - you want a bike to ride. So it's going to be a gamble.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:57 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another look at the cooling fins on that engine, and I'm astonished how meticulous and shiny everything is. And equally distrustful... It seems some kind of power tool, most likely a wire wool attachment on an angle grinder on power drill, has been used on those 'fins', which is why they seem so shiny on the outermost face. Also, the grab rail colour is the same as the deep glossy black frame colour (hmmm..) but also the same colour as the plastics! Shocked

Those bits may have been black out of the factory, but they wouldn't have been as black as that. Especially the plastics (e.g. around the rear indicators). They should be duller. I believe they've just been sprayed over. Probably to make the bike more saleable rather than to just hide scratches or spruce it up. A lot of attention has clearly gone into the appearance of this bike, and a rattlecan or two has been involved. Some of the black zip ties were still on the bike when the rattlecan job was done (going by your photo of the right side of the engine), and they're a bit more glossy on one side. So I would expect the worst, i.e. the owner needs it to shine so he can get rid of it because of some massive and costly problem. Just a suspicion.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:06 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Falco wrote:
Quote:

A bit rusty? I would guess it's completely seized up, like most things (apart from the engine) on the bike. But not a problem as you're buying a knackered old hack - other stuff will go wrong and it will be terminal long before replacing the fan is on the table.

I'd hazard a guess it might be removable with some persuasion (failing that a drill).

Tawny wrote:
Falco wrote:

It should sound clattery only when idling. At other times, it should have a more harmonious sound.

Yes, that is correct, only when idling.

Tawny wrote:
Falco wrote:

What I would do personally if I needed a bike to ride would be to invest a little more money and get something newer and better than a high mileage ER5. This one will be hiding some gremlins and will need work. However, as a project, or a second bike, it would be fine, depending on how much you paid for it. If you had a van, a place to put it, and a spare £500 floating around, and the time and the inclination, and you didn't need it as a rider, then it would be an investment. In parts alone, it's worth a fair amount and you would make money on it. But you're not a breaker - you want a bike to ride. So it's going to be a gamble.

Well it's going to be an ER5 (maybe a CB500 if I can find one) as they tick the boxes I need a bike too. Sadly I do need a working bike (a 2nd bike is but a distant dream).

The downside to a better bike is (of course the cost), for example this one at half the millage and looks in good condition but at that price it would need to work without any fixing at all for at least a couple of months since it would eat the budget for initial maintenance.
It would also need significant work to add luggage, engine bars, heated grips and otherwise be "commuterised" and well...it feels like a lot.....

Where is the balance with regard to price/age/millage?

Tawny wrote:
Just had another look at the cooling fins on that engine, and I'm astonished how meticulous and shiny everything is. And equally distrustful... It seems some kind of power tool, most likely a wire wool attachment on an angle grinder on power drill, has been used on those 'fins', which is why they seem so shiny on the outermost face. Also, the grab rail colour is the same as the deep glossy black frame colour (hmmm..) but also the same colour as the plastics! Shocked

Those bits may have been black out of the factory, but they wouldn't have been as black as that. Especially the plastics (e.g. around the rear indicators). They should be duller. I believe they've just been sprayed over. Probably to make the bike more saleable rather than to just hide scratches or spruce it up. A lot of attention has clearly gone into the appearance of this bike, and a rattlecan or two has been involved. Some of the black zip ties were still on the bike when the rattlecan job was done (going by your photo of the right side of the engine), and they're a bit more glossy on one side. So I would expect the worst, i.e. the owner needs it to shine so he can get rid of it because of some massive and costly problem. Just a suspicion.

With regards the bike's past exciting life, the seller's response to my queries about the scuffs and why the engine bars are comparatively clean:

"I can only assume the same as yourself that someone has dropped the bike at some point in it's life, however this will have been prior to myself owning the bike as I've never dropped it.

I fitted the engine bars after I bought the bike (however I bought the engine bars second hand)"

As I said, the grab rail is definitely not the original.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ER5 came without a grab handle because someone had used the gaps in the bodywork where it would have gone to fit a rack. When I removed the rack I Ebayed a red grab handle, sprayed it black and stuck it on. I wouldn't worry about details like this on a 50k bike you're buying for 3 figures. General condition moreso.

This is, as has been pointed out, somewhat tarted up. On a 3k bike I'd be suspicious. On a £X00 bike I just assume the owner wanted it to look pretty. If it rides ok, what more do you expect for iPad money?

As opined above, you could hear mine saying 'tittle tattle' on tickover, but it sounded ok when riding. As ok as a parallel twin can sound anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 15 year old commuter hack, it would be astonishing if it hadn't gone down in public more often than a Geordie Shorer.

If it's been properly sorted, rides fine and is oil tight, I'm not sure what else you'd want.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
My ER5 came without a grab handle because someone had used the gaps in the bodywork where it would have gone to fit a rack. When I removed the rack I Ebayed a red grab handle, sprayed it black and stuck it on. I wouldn't worry about details like this on a 50k bike you're buying for 3 figures. General condition moreso.

This is, as has been pointed out, somewhat tarted up. On a 3k bike I'd be suspicious. On a £X00 bike I just assume the owner wanted it to look pretty. If it rides ok, what more do you expect for iPad money?

As opined above, you could hear mine saying 'tittle tattle' on tickover, but it sounded ok when riding. As ok as a parallel twin can sound anyway.

The grab handle doesn't bother me (well it does, but just because I almost dropped the bike trying to get it on the centre stand using it and it can't possibly be my fault). I'd expect a bike without any death-inducing or wallet emptying problems, though whether this bike is such a one I am struggling to tell.

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a 15 year old commuter hack, it would be astonishing if it hadn't gone down in public more often than a Geordie Shorer.

If it's been properly sorted, rides fine and is oil tight, I'm not sure what else you'd want.

Rogerborg wrote:

If it's been properly sorted

That is the crux of the issue, has it been? Lurking issues weigh on my mind, going to mull it over while I walk the dog, but this is one of those areas that only owning 1 bike leaves my experience wanting.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 50k mile bike. If it runs and rides ok, then thats the best you can ask for really. Be prepared to spend some cash on it because it's a 50k mile bike. Bodged or not, things will be about to die on it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:32 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Bodged or not, things will be about to die on it.

Cam chain, valves, piston rings will be unknown, but it apparently isn't rattling too much (Kawasakis like to rattle their clutch basket in neutral) and it pulls well enough.

Pretty much any used bike might need something done in short order. The rear shocks have been replaced, good stuff. Couple of hundred miles on the chain and sprockets. The fronts could probably benefit from an oil change. Exhaust isn't pristine but doesn't look rotted through. Tyres are still OK? Oh, did you check inside the tank for rust?

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy that bike, but from what I've seen, I'd have it if it were cheap enough. That means one low bid at the last second, don't get sucked into going higher, and if you don't win or it's already over your budget, let the seller know that you have actual real cash ready if/when his "buyer" gyps him.

OP's got 5 days to find something better anyway.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
Bodged or not, things will be about to die on it.

Cam chain, valves, piston rings will be unknown, but it apparently isn't rattling too much (Kawasakis like to rattle their clutch basket in neutral) and it pulls well enough.

Pretty much any used bike might need something done in short order. The rear shocks have been replaced, good stuff. Couple of hundred miles on the chain and sprockets. The fronts could probably benefit from an oil change. Exhaust isn't pristine but doesn't look rotted through. Tyres are still OK? Oh, did you check inside the tank for rust?

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy that bike, but from what I've seen, I'd have it if it were cheap enough. That means one low bid at the last second, don't get sucked into going higher, and if you don't win or it's already over your budget, let the seller know that you have actual real cash ready if/when his "buyer" gyps him.

OP's got 5 days to find something better anyway.

Rear tyre is fine, front tyre isn't great @ just under 2mm. Totally forgot to check the fuel tank...faaark, it was on my list and everything Evil or Very Mad

Guess it's going to be a last minute, low end bid. Bikes within reasonable viewing distance, within my budget are sadly thin on the ground. Looks like it's too be public transport for a few weeks yet Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:50 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that there are 12 different bidders on it, and it looks shiny in the advert, so chances are a couple of them are going to get dragged into comparing eBellEnd sizes and push it into silly money.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Just be aware that there are 12 different bidders on it, and it looks shiny in the advert, so chances are a couple of them are going to get dragged into comparing eBellEnd sizes and push it into silly money.

Aye, I've got my price already decided and a bid >1 minute before the end is a short enough time to stop me from getting drawn into a bidding war. Learnt that lesson the hard way Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Congratulations?

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yeah, thought I'd try offering my bid amount directly rather than waiting for auction to end. Seller said yes. Brought bike home, bike promptly started having problems Thumbs Up
Here's hoping its an easy fix....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, workshop. Doh!

If you don't mind me asking - actually, even if you do - how much did you splurge on it?

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, right, workshop. Doh!

If you don't mind me asking - actually, even if you do - how much did you splurge on it?

I don't mind at all, it was £500. Whether it was a decent price or not remains to be seen....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:29 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems OK, you're not getting a running bike for less. Hopefully the fuel issue is just a ropey hose or sticky float - at that age and mileage on a bike that's not being ridden regularly, I would expect some issues.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3