Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:22 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
onlyJaz wrote:
I would rather not become a spandex warrior, I find too many of them lacking basic road awareness or find it necessary to abide by laws. I know not all are like that but just my views on the small majority I've observed, I'd stay away

That's kind of like saying you'd rather not be a motorcyclist, as they all ride around on cruisers wearing patches on their backs and fight and sell drugs and stuff Smile

Not all Razz but in all honesty there is greater contempt for cyclists and I'd prefer the freedom of a motorbike any day

SixFeetOfMan
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

There's no reason that a pedalist can't dominate their lane. I was behind one today who did a great job of it, riding well out towards the lane divider.

Of course, I overtook him on his left, but still - he was being very dominant.

Was it on roundabout? If yes then he did what is best way to stay alive on them and is actually recommended by Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, which UK supposed to abide, but is doing crap job of it.

As for filtering gains it depends on the route/city. On my 8 mile trip I have 11 roundabouts, 9 of them on 50/40 mph dual carriageway. 45 minutes to 2hours in a car, 30-45 minutes on bike, and I'm crap at filtering, if traffic flows 10mph+ I go with it, for now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixFeetOfMan wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
There's no reason that a pedalist can't dominate their lane. I was behind one today who did a great job of it, riding well out towards the lane divider.

Was it on roundabout?

It was not. It was while cycling along a straight piece of road with two lanes. The cyclist decided, quite correctly, that he was not going to give enough space for vehicles to overtake him on the right within lane 1. I decided, quite correctly, to make a point of showing him where he should have been riding, which is in the gutter where he belongs. Doesn't even pay road tax.

SixFeetOfMan wrote:
yes then he did what is best way to stay alive on them and is actually recommended by Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

Is it, actually? Which article is that?

I note that Article 14 requires cyclists to give an indication with their arm before and during any turn or laterally manoeuvre. Heh, that's a good one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if there's a cycle path running alongside a road, but the cyclist doesn't use it and stays in the road, you should be bound by law to drive over them.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:03 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I think that if there's a cycle path running alongside a road, but the cyclist doesn't use it and stays in the road, you should be bound by law to drive over them.

And a bounty paid.

In my anecdote above, you will be un-amazed to hear that there is a broad, clear, clean, well surfaced, and almost completely unused cycle facility right next to the carriageway.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Does it get better? Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
So my thinking is that I have more to gain from filtering through the traffic on slower roads than trying to make progress on a dual carriageway

Nope, if your bike isn't keeping up with traffic on the dual carriageway then you must be making very good time. There's no way you're going to do better negotiating junctions, crossings, islands, pedestrians, bus stops, side roads, right turn maniacs etc than taking a nice wide road designed to carry high volumes of traffic quickly from a to b.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:40 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's windy like today, no size of bike is going to be pleasant. That said reasonable conditions are much more pleasant on a bigger bike. After a year of 125s I found a cruiser with a barn-door screen and more recently a bandit S (variant with fairing around lights and a screen) is a world of comfort compared to a 125. Quality heated grips and muffs make the winters bearable. Routine and the right kit will take time out of the gearing up routine.

Performance wise, whether a bigger bike makes a real difference depends how mental you are. With a big bike you can filter to the front of a queue at the lights and be away before pretty much anything, I found this risky on a 125. Worse still was getting into a gap on a 125 if the lights changed as I got near the front, a bigger bike has the power to get to safety. That said I have an acquaintance that hasn't outgrown teenage immortality and a YZF-R1 would be sufficient to lose me through city traffic if it didn't have offensively loud pipes. Said yoof appears to be known as crash boy to his face.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:57 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to counter Mr Teflon - I commute from Stourbridge to Oldbury every day. In the car it takes an hour or so because of the traffic. On the bike it takes 30 mins. Filtering saves me half an hour easily and it's relatively safe as they're all wide dual carriageways.

Bikers who don't filter confuse me, it's one of the main reasons I decided to take my test.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Just to counter Mr Teflon - I commute from Stourbridge to Oldbury every day. In the car it takes an hour or so because of the traffic. On the bike it takes 30 mins. Filtering saves me half an hour easily and it's relatively safe as they're all wide dual carriageways.

Bikers who don't filter confuse me, it's one of the main reasons I decided to take my test.

Similar. I do 20 miles with the last section in Birmingham Centre as per Mr Tef. 1h40 in the car, 50 min bike. There are a lot of traffic lights to get to the front of! I have a similar choice to OP in that I can take the M6 and A38M but I'd have to filter that too and filtering on 3 lane motorways terrifies me.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:42 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway filtering can be daunting. I tend to stick between lane 1 and 2 between junctions but as you approach a junction you need to expect someone to change into lane 1 without checking their mirrors.

Still - no better feeling than filtering through to the front of a closed motorway Very Happy

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:28 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

I'm not freezing my nuts off to sit in the middle of traffic if there is a safe passage for me to filter in Bounce!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:29 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
Holdawayt wrote:

I'm not freezing my nuts off to sit in the middle of traffic if there is a safe passage for me to filter in Bounce!

one of the main reasons for me too! my scoob is too wide unfortunately !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2