Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am i getting enough mileage from my 125 ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get >100mpg out my 125. It can get down to just over 100mpg if I try, I've had 140mpg a couple of times, by driving in ~40mph traffic

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF wrote:
[mpg, mpg, mpg]

Total speculation, since we have no idea how much of his 1.87 of Her Majesty's Gallons he's actually getting through between fill ups.

OP needs to answer my insightful and revealing question on page 1. Whistle

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least he's provided some figures - better than being told "a tenner lasts me a week" when you ask someone their tank capacity or MPG.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:20 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
BCF wrote:
[mpg, mpg, mpg]

Total speculation, since we have no idea how much of his 1.87 of Her Majesty's Gallons he's actually getting through between fill ups.

OP needs to answer my insightful and revealing question on page 1. Whistle

You were only more direct than I was. I was alluding to exactly that...

This thread is boring now anyways, the OP is not smart enough to have already done what we have suggested so this can just carry on with speculation without any actual facts.

The willingly 'confused' are happy speculating the pseudo 'issue' because it's something to talk about - if they knew how to solve these 'issues' then they would actually have to think... which we know they don't like to do due to raising such 'issues'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get 160 miles on my Deauville til I hit the reserve.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hover around the hundred mark on the YBR, (from 1/4 mark, fill to bottom of swirl thingmy, reset tripmeter, fill at 1/4 tank again, do maffs).

That's with about half my journey being on 50/NSL roads, the other half stop-start through town because the fucking council loves traffic lights.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doink wrote:

Again, fucking useless statement if you don't say how many litres that is.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting 56mpg on a 125 something's wrong with it.

My YBR125 costs about £10 to fill up and I get something like 200 miles out of a tank.

Either you need to get it fixed or you're redlining it all day lol.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:16 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Doink wrote:

It's ur mum litres.

The thread's going there anyway, we might as well skip the congestion

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 08:17 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

It's ur mum litres.

The thread's going there anyway, we might as well skip the congestion

Smile and wave boys... smile and wave...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:38 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
you're redlining it all day lol.

You mean there's another way to ride a 125 Shocked

Thatboy09
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:32 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i calculated it wrong ( clearly ) Rolling Eyes maybe the bike is fine then. thanks everyone

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:21 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

... But but we're all on tenterhooks! don't leave it like this for the love of all that is bik lyf WHAT WAS YOUR FUEL CONSUMPTION/AVERAGE FILL/LITRES PER MINUTE/PUND NOTES PER FILL/FAVOURITE PETROL STATION/MAJOR MALFUNCTION/SOMETHING/ANYTHING/MPG Question Question

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatboy09 wrote:
sorry i calculated it wrong ( clearly ) Rolling Eyes

Are you eye rolling at our inability to determine (clearly) the contents of your fuel tank? How remiss of us.

Thatboy09 wrote:
maybe the bike is fine then.

I guess nobody will ever know. Crying or Very sad

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:52 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
If you're getting 56mpg on a 125 something's wrong with it.

My YBR125 costs about £10 to fill up and I get something like 200 miles out of a tank.

Same bike, my last fill up was around 8 litres and I got 165 miles out of it. Reassess your mileage again like others have suggested, I'm sure it's fine unless it's leaking fuel or you're sitting at a red light, redlining in neutral

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:28 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.5 l is just shy of two gallons, if you are getting three 70mile trips from that without needing to refill, then you have to be bettering 70 to the gallon.

Sounds par to low for a 125, but? Trail bikes aren't the most economical. Learners riders even less so.

Block-tread tyres add a far bit of rolling resistance; on the Range-Rover, 2x the number admittedly, but, swapping from all terrains to muds, of the same size, will knock about 20% off the MPG. Ramp that % a bit or the bigger tyres a 125 trailie has over a 125 commuter, and fact that those knoblies are that much more knblie than a full street, and you are not looking at 'best' economy by any stretch.

Probably more sigificant though is that a trailie is jacked up a good 3" on long travel suspension, has a very upright riding position with the rider stretched wide accross high leverage off-road bars, and you present probably 25% more frontal area to wind resistance than a 125 commuter.

It's NOT a bike that is likely to deliver 100+mpg consumption even in deal conditions.

How a bike or car is driven or ridden makes far larger difference; even shown n the two figures they usually quote for 'urban' and 'highway' mph in the books.

Again, Range-Rover, which has dire economy to begin with exaggerates the difference nicely for example; 'book' suggests 15mpg 'urban' 19mpg 'highway'. 'Real World' I can better the 'highway' by almost 30% and chase 25-30mpg, keeping the right boot light. Round town? Sat traffic going no-where, booting it into gaps on round-a-bouts, I can loose 30% or more and be down into single figures! That's a variance of +/- 30% either way, JUST in how the thing is used.

Your bike? 80mpg 'ish' isn't great for a 125, but, not unreasonable. As a learner, its unlikely you are anywhere near as smooth and progressive as you could be, so it's unlikely to ever delver much better figures. Add some measurement inaccuracy, and it's likely that there's not a lot, if anything 'wrong' with the bike.

Try pumpng up the tyres; changing the spark plug, checking the chain tension. Charge the battery, and pay a little attention to start-up, and not letting it idle for hours to 'warm up'. Measure your mileage from brim-full to brim full, over a few weeks of use, to get a more accurate 'average'. AND worry about your riding; WATCH where you are going! Be predictive! DON'T dive on the brakes and dart into gaps! Reactive riding is the death of economy as much as speed.

If you haven't got a licence... worry about that! six moths on the road, and daily commuting, if you can do that, you can have a licence, no reason you should be on L's!!!!!

But of the small tank and frequent fills is nagging you.... get a different bike without knoblies, or such a high wide front, and a bigger tank, like a YBR.. OR if you get that licence, and it lets you.... a bigger bike, with a bigger tank!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
loads of informative stuff
Erm Teff, he got his sums wrong, and manned up to it. Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
three 70mile trips

Three 70 miles trips in 100?

OP appears to be talking about 3 x 35 mile one-way trips = 105 miles on whatever amount of fuel he was actually using before deciding or being told that the tank was "empty".

Although really, who knows?

Adam Aarons, that's who.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...TankPal?

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:02 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get over 100mpg out my Van Van, that's on a traffic clogged urban commute too. Modern fuel injected engine eh? Soon 125's might be as economical as my 1962 Vespa...........

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Doink wrote:

something.

I get about that with my XL650...

Wink

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get about 4 days worth of driving on just over half a tank in my 205. The gauge does seem slightly logarithmic though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound a little low, my XR being a bit less powerful would do 140+ miles (think I got 160 once) before hitting reserve, that was just under 8 litres.

By comparison the MT-03 gets through 15 litres in 90-100 miles Neutral

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:27 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get between 7 and ten days mileage in my BMW on between £10 and £50 does this sound about right?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good. My Pan costs me typically between £70 and £150 in 7 to 10 days. Must change it for a Bimmer so I can save money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3