Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going to give her a wash - right track?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Going to give her a wash - right track? Reply with quote

Okay so next weekend I'm going to try giving her a wash so I'm thinking of the products I'm going to buy. And for that, I need your advice peoples...

1 - GT85 on the chain to clean it, wipe with an old cloth.

2 - Quick rinse of the bike to get it wet.

3 - Spray whole bike using a product like muc-off. Use a small brush for inaccessible areas. Wait about 3 mins. I've ordered this I saw on another thread (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221550344683).

4 - Rinse off with water, wipe dry with microfiber towel

5 - clean wheels with a wheel cleaner & brush

6 - Spray GT85 on forks and engine, not on brakes or chain.

7 - Lube the chain

8 - Clean disks

Would you say this is an okay method? Or am I missing something? I've read ACF50 being mentioned here at times, would it be something I should include with my routine?

Can someone recommend a good chain lube, I don't know what to order?

Appreciate any advice Thumbs Up
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

jpmiller
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:13 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Missenden Flyers vids

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_719tkJvufbWzgt_eO0VvNqE-NvQy3EQ

riejumike
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:25 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cheap car shampoo after the first rinse. Just make a big foamy bucket and slap it on and slap it around the whole bike, let it soak into the brakes, bodywork, engine. Then rinse that off and use Muc-off for the grimy bits / chain (old toothbrush).

Then rinse the Muc-off off.... I'd probably not use GT-85 for corrosion protection, either FS-365 (good if you will wash it again soon) or ACF-50 (good to spray on and leave it).

ACF-50 is good value and effective if used correctly, it goes a long way, dab it on and it creeps into crevices. I (personally) don't use chain cleaner, wheel cleaner, chain brushes, wheel brushes... (maybe a little brake cleaner for the brakes now and then)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've put way too much thought into this Smile Spray with cleaner, wipe with rag. ACF 50 I'd only apply a couple of times over winter, but then I'm not cleaning it off every time.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:56 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
You've put way too much thought into this Smile Spray with cleaner, wipe with rag. ACF 50 I'd only apply a couple of times over winter, but then I'm not cleaning it off every time.

Lol maybe! But im just a bit confused about the chain maintenance, what to clean it with and then what to lube it up with. But it seems that this topic isn't the most well received

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:05 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

riejumike wrote:
I use cheap car shampoo after the first rinse. Just make a big foamy bucket and slap it on and slap it around the whole bike, let it soak into the brakes, bodywork, engine. Then rinse that off and use Muc-off for the grimy bits / chain (old toothbrush).

Then rinse the Muc-off off.... I'd probably not use GT-85 for corrosion protection, either FS-365 (good if you will wash it again soon) or ACF-50 (good to spray on and leave it).

ACF-50 is good value and effective if used correctly, it goes a long way, dab it on and it creeps into crevices. I (personally) don't use chain cleaner, wheel cleaner, chain brushes, wheel brushes... (maybe a little brake cleaner for the brakes now and then)

Thanks!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:04 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parafin of some description and a toothbrush (or a kettenmax for the lazy) will shift even the clingiest of spray lubes. GT85 is at least cheaper than £10 a time chain cleaner aerosols. Dry the chain with a rag before you lube it. A hand-pump garden sprayer is handy and less risky than a pressure washer. I have a small one with 50:50 muc-off and water and a big one for clean water. I need a third for the paraffin. Use brake cleaner on your disks before you ride away.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the chain cleaning bit (however you decide to) first.

Then do the whole bike wash thing...

Then lube the chain at the end (Dont use too much lube - Good life lesson in general...)

Laughing

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:54 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain maintenance is a funny one.

A modern O-ring chain actually doesn't need any lubrication, that's why it has O rings with lube inside the joints. All they need is a clean with paraffin and a toothbrush and it'll come up perfect.

That said - for longer life of chain and sprockets people still whack shit loads of chain lube on them, causing a right old mess. Whack the front sprocket cover off and you'll see what I mean.
Personally I use a dry pfte chain wax. Does the job without flinging stuff everywhere. Extends the life of the moving bits and doesn't cause such a mess.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:33 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Going to give her a wash - right track? Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
Okay so next weekend I'm going to try giving her a wash so I'm thinking of the products I'm going to buy. And for that, I need your advice peoples...

1 - GT85 on the chain to clean it, wipe with an old cloth.

2 - Quick rinse of the bike to get it wet.

3 - Spray whole bike using a product like muc-off. Use a small brush for inaccessible areas. Wait about 3 mins. I've ordered this I saw on another thread (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221550344683).

4 - Rinse off with water, wipe dry with microfiber towel

5 - clean wheels with a wheel cleaner & brush

6 - Spray GT85 on forks and engine, not on brakes or chain.

7 - Lube the chain

8 - Clean disks

Would you say this is an okay method? Or am I missing something? I've read ACF50 being mentioned here at times, would it be something I should include with my routine?

Can someone recommend a good chain lube, I don't know what to order?

Appreciate any advice Thumbs Up

Sounds good to me, but also spray the GT85 on/in your ignition barrel to displace any water Thumbs Up

To lube my chain i use Wurth Chain Wax.

If it is the 1st time you have cleaned the bike, take the front sprocket cover off to make sure it isn't full of gunk...... Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're thinking too much about this.

Bucket of soapy water to give it a wash, like you would a car. WD-40/GT-85 on your wheels to get all the kak (not brakes or tyres..or seat/grips/pegs)
Dry it off or let it drip dry and then coat a cloth or rag in wd-40/gt-85 and give the whole bike a wipe down. Spray some into the lock mechs to stop them seizing if the bikes doesnt get ridden much Thumbs Up

ACF in the winter, after cleaning it, then leave it alone (except the brakes) until summer starts.

Edit: one thing i always do is take care of the fork stanchions. They will rot fairly quickly if caked in salt for extended periods. After every ride on salted roads, give them a wipe down and a quick coat in wd-40. OR i believe some people acf them after a clean and leave them

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:26 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in a mag about Auto-glym stuff a couple of years ago which was good.

First off, I wouldn't use GT85 on the chain, it's more for protection and isn't supposed to wash off easily. I wouldn't do anything to the chain other than carefully wipe it with a clean cloth or tissue. If you want to clean it then take it off the bike and use chain cleaner on it, and then re-grease it.

The Auto Glym article basically ran as follows:

Spray on degreaser (this particular one is plastic safe, some aren't)

agitate grease with a soft brush

rinse

Spray on bike cleaner

clean bike with sponge or cloth

rinse

dry carefully with a clean soft chamois

spray on polish on plastics etc (not on tyres!)

buff with a microfibre cloth.

That's pretty much what I do, I don't often bother polishing tbh but the bikes usually come up quite well depending on how lazy I'm feeling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

A modern O-ring chain actually doesn't need any lubrication, that's why it has O rings with lube inside the joints. All they need is a clean with paraffin and a toothbrush and it'll come up perfect.
Really? I once forgot to re-lube my chain after a paraffin clean. 60 miles later the bike sounded like the transmission was going to explode and the chain was near solid. Quick squirt of chain lube and it was fine again. Also the owners manual says re-lube with engine oil every 800 miles. I suspect Yamaha know what they're talking about, afterall they do make a few bikes & stuff.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:42 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

riejumike wrote:

That^^.

Plus white spirit/WD40/Paraffin to clean chain lube off the back wheel when I can be arsed.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:44 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck knows, just something I was told a while ago. I still whack wax on it so I didn't take it too seriously.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Holdawayt wrote:

Really? I once forgot to re-lube my chain after a paraffin clean. 60 miles later the bike sounded like the transmission was going to explode and the chain was near solid. Quick squirt of chain lube and it was fine again. Also the owners manual says re-lube with engine oil every 800 miles. I suspect Yamaha know what they're talking about, afterall they do make a few bikes & stuff.

"In theory" o ring chains are sealed (or so im told) so the grease that is in there should be sufficient. Oiling the chain will lubricate the rubber rings to stop them drying out as well as creating a barrier between rollers and the sprockets.

I put oil on after every 110 mile commute on my o-ring chain and lots of it. . 2 hours at 70-80mph is enough to cause enough friction to cause damage. Also means i rarely clean my chain because the oil cleans and lubrimicates
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:

That said - for longer life of chain and sprockets people still whack shit loads of chain lube on them, causing a right old mess. Whack the front sprocket cover off and you'll see what I mean.
Personally I use a dry pfte chain wax. Does the job without flinging stuff everywhere. Extends the life of the moving bits and doesn't cause such a mess.

It doesn't need careful internal lubrication, no, but it does need to be lubricated so it doesn't unduly wear sprockets etc. You can lose 2-3bhp on a poorly maintained chain, which on a 4t 125 is a large percentage of the power output.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
M.C wrote:

Lol maybe! But im just a bit confused about the chain maintenance, what to clean it with and then what to lube it up with. But it seems that this topic isn't the most well received

Lube it with chain lube Smile I've got some WD40 stuff (note actual chain lube not standard WD40) and it seems pretty good. I apply some every couple of weeks.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with fairy liquid and an old rag? And muck off for the nasty bits... Gunk is another good one for serious degreasing bits.

I gave my bike a little hose down a few days ago. But the roads are still wet and muddy here. Didnt last long. Ill give it a proper clean when it starts to warm up a little...

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:37 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloysius Parker wrote:
Holdawayt wrote:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Coming from the guy who welded his sprocket and couldn't fix a broken spark plug? Suck a length you embarrassment.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky washing his bike.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/goBR5.jpg

Pinky drying his bike

https://www.fshc.co.uk/specific/images/news/sunshine.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:47 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

U need Rainpal bro! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2