Suzuki GT250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:19 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Suzuki GT250 Reply with quote

Hello Everybody

I have just dragged home a 1975 Suzuki GT250 and wonder if there are some people on here that have also like these.

I don't know too much about them but am determined to make it live again and wonder if anyone can help with a bit of advice.

Hopefully I would like to link up with someone that might know more than I do about the GT250 (trust me that wont be hard),

I'm starting to think these might be getting a bit rare as finding parts is proving difficult as there isn't much available on ebay at least the bits I'm after lol.

The bits I'm after:
Front mud guard
Front wheel
Gear lever
Headlight shell
To name a few!

Thanks in anticipation
Simon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh back in the day! I had five different bikes over a few years.
Back in the day everybody wanted an X7 or a Yam LC 350 and nobody wanted old GT 250's.
That was good for me because they were cheap.

They are relatively easy to work on.
Two round bodied carbs that are easily accessible.
Points that are easily replaced with modern electronic ignition.
Drum rear brake are easy to sort out.

Robinsons Foundry have a lot of spares for older Suzuki's and Suzuki now have their own retro spares scheme.

I found the hardest thing was fmucking about with the old rubber holding the airbox to the carbs.
They could be a swine if they are old and hard.

Would I have another? Oh yes! But I was a twat and bought a Chinese bike Confused

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to scour the internet for a parts list, then you can google / ebay part numbers. Makes life easier especially when sourcing rubber bits, fastners and stuff.

Personally i find Suzuki's of that era a nail splitting nightmare to work on but in the end it's only a piston port twin so everything is sortable. I would disagree regarding electronic ignition, unless you are going for an all singing CDI system points are simpler and much lighter.

Decent bikes though, and very strong if not tuned.

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:40 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
You need to scour the internet for a parts list, then you can google / ebay part numbers. Makes life easier especially when sourcing rubber bits, fastners and stuff.

Personally i find Suzuki's of that era a nail splitting nightmare to work on but in the end it's only a piston port twin so everything is sortable. I would disagree regarding electronic ignition, unless you are going for an all singing CDI system points are simpler and much lighter.

Decent bikes though, and very strong if not tuned.

Thank you for your post and help.
I have just bought a parts list on ebay after seeing your post, thanks,
Lol I was hoping a 2 stroke would be a bit easier than my usual 4 strokes, so fingers crossed.
Cheers Simon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:46 - 12 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Oh back in the day! I had five different bikes over a few years.
Back in the day everybody wanted an X7 or a Yam LC 350 and nobody wanted old GT 250's.
That was good for me because they were cheap.

They are relatively easy to work on.
Two round bodied carbs that are easily accessible.
Points that are easily replaced with modern electronic ignition.
Drum rear brake are easy to sort out.

Robinsons Foundry have a lot of spares for older Suzuki's and Suzuki now have their own retro spares scheme.

I found the hardest thing was fmucking about with the old rubber holding the airbox to the carbs.
They could be a swine if they are old and hard.

Would I have another? Oh yes! But I was a twat and bought a Chinese bike Confused

Thank you for your advice.
I'm off to check out Robinsons Foundry and the Suzuki retro spares scheme now.
Not sure about the modern electronic ignition but will look into it, thanks again

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:05 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all were, and still are, shit.

Many of them however, were enormous fun.

None of the parts you are looking for are what make them fun.

If you want parts to make it work... many people on here can help you. Probably for free.

If you want parts to make it original... Bwahahahah! They are now "collectable" and people are fully prepared to pay 20 times what they are really worth to keep one locked up in their garage.

A more cynical mind would suggest you know exactly what you've just bought and are fishing for cheap parts for it.

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They all were, and still are, shit.

Many of them however, were enormous fun.

None of the parts you are looking for are what make them fun.

If you want parts to make it work... many people on here can help you. Probably for free.

If you want parts to make it original... Bwahahahah! They are now "collectable" and people are fully prepared to pay 20 times what they are really worth to keep one locked up in their garage.

A more cynical mind would suggest you know exactly what you've just bought and are fishing for cheap parts for it.

Hah Stinkwheel opinionated can be a singularly unpleasant trait. Yes I am hoping to source the parts I seek but I am more than happy to pay the market price maybe more if all my boxes are ticked. Please don't judge me by your standards.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gt250 nothing went wrong it reliable would do about 93ish speedo reading.I put exspansion pipes on it every think else was standard. any pics.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it run?
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
I had a gt250 nothing went wrong it reliable would do about 93ish speedo reading.I put exspansion pipes on it every think else was standard. any pics.

I've been told they are pretty bullet proof if well sorted. 93ish will be great if I get that out of her. I have some pics on my phone I will have a go at uploading some. Cheers Bypass2 Thumbs Up

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:34 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
does it run?

No not yet, its turns over and feels pretty smooth,
No coils, I've ordered some and are just waiting their arrival.
Cheers Rob

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would make it run first before getting all the other bits, if you've no running engine, you have nothing and a full rebuild is like 700+

Do a show and tell thread with pics Thumbs Up
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

This^ +1...... or I`ll come round your house Twisted Evil

dansp1
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:06 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GT250-GT-250-FRONT-WHEEL-DISC-1-60-X-18-/332069803249?hash=item4d50e714f1:g:HPAAAOSwMNxXYnnO

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:14 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
i would make it run first before getting all the other bits, if you've no running engine, you have nothing and a full rebuild is like 700+

I don't fancy a full rebuild am hoping to get her running with a bit of fettling then enjoy the odd blast out, will be a nice change to my usual bike. Thumbs Up

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

I'm trying to get some pics on here off my fone, will have a go now

mongoose911
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:33 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansp1 wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GT250-GT-250-FRONT-WHEEL-DISC-1-60-X-18-/332069803249?hash=item4d50e714f1:g:HPAAAOSwMNxXYnnO

Cheers I have bought a front wheel and am waiting its arrival.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 45 days between these two posts...

Irish Monkey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:01 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Suzuki GT250 Reply with quote

mongoose911 wrote:
Hello Everybody

I have just dragged home a 1975 Suzuki GT250 and wonder if there are some people on here that have also like these.

I don't know too much about them but am determined to make it live again and wonder if anyone can help with a bit of advice.

Hopefully I would like to link up with someone that might know more than I do about the GT250 (trust me that wont be hard),

I'm starting to think these might be getting a bit rare as finding parts is proving difficult as there isn't much available on ebay at least the bits I'm after lol.

The bits I'm after:
Front mud guard
Front wheel
Gear lever
Headlight shell
To name a few!

Thanks in anticipation
Simon

Hi Simon , I am just in the process of rebuilding the engine on a GT250 A.
The parts you are looking for will be on eBay , you might have to wait for it to be listed.
Suzuki Uk have an eBay shop and also a great web site.
If you want any advice on stripping ‘ rebuilding the engine just let me know . If you need to take the gearbox apart I would advise you not to take the gear selector out of the drum , it is quite a job trying to reassemble it .

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:10 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4 years late.....

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 27 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Suzuki GT250 Reply with quote

Irish Monkey wrote:

The parts you are looking for will be on eBay , you might have to wait for it to be listed.

He's waited four years, I'm sure a few more days won't hurt.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1