Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
onlyJaz wrote:
going to get decent quality waterproof gloves, a good pair of boots although I don't have a huge budget unfortunately.

You'd be surprised how good *some* budget gear or even second hand gear can be. I've been wearing my SMX5 WP boots (bought them second hand) for 3 years now, through all conditions. Never let water in, plenty warm in the winter and breath enough in the summer.
My Frank Thomas jacket I got for £35 at the NEC Bike Show in 2013. Worn it through every winter since. Still perfectly waterproof and warm. I haven't actually washed it since I got it!

Don't assume higher price will mean better quality. I'd suggest you find some gear you think is good and ask here for opinions as chances are someone has used it so you'll get real reviews, not the usual "bought it, love the colour" reviews you get on the seller's websites!

Agreed - might also be worth considering muffs they're cheap and very effective (although a bit clumsy on the controls - cutting the thumb area out helps and still retains most of their effectiveness)
I wish I had my muffs on last night - I have Gerbing XR12s which are excellent (heated), but my usual laziness and neglect meant that I hadn't waterproofed them lately (although I will be doing so this weekend) - muffs can't really ever go wrong.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Last night's ride home is in my personal 'top 5 most miserable rides, ever'

I hadn't packed my waterproof gear, good start.

I left work [central London] at 17:45 to start my 40 mile commute (when it had already started tipping down with snow) and all was well - but ten mins in I had Pinlock failure - the visor started misting up so I had to repeatedly open visor, which meant that it got wet inside too.

I then felt my feet start to get wet (It turns out that my SMX5 WPs have small holes in them) - by the time I joined the A13 my feet were pretty cold, soaking wet and quite painful.

By the time I was halfway down the A13 I could no longer feel my feet (as in genuinely numb, couldn't move my toes) - but on the plus side they weren't hurting any more.
My jacket was now saturated and my inner clothing had now also started to get wet. I was starting to shake with cold.

My heated gloves then stopped working.

Visibility was a continual fight - possibly the worst I've experienced, I had to keep cracking visor to see where I was going, which was pretty painful on my eyes.

I got to the Pitsea flyover and bailed off the A13 because my hands were starting to get _really_ cold too and it was getting dangerous - anyway, I pulled over [nearly dropped the bike] and managed to get heated gloves working again (I'd leant on the controller and managed to turn it off) so that was good - after a few mins of defrosting my hands, I headed off again and pootled along the old A13 [London Road] and rejoined at Sadler's farm (A127-bound) - as I was on the slip road I completely lost my bearings, the slip-road was covered in snow so it was hard to find the lanes and I was struggling to see out through the open visor (not many cars had used the slip road by the looks of it, luckily for me there were no cars around me at the time) - I thought that I'd wandered over to the nearside kerb, so I started to drift right and I suddenly felt the front end wash out on the painted road markings - I had steering full lock and put one leg down and held my arm out ready to come off, but by some amazing piece of luck the bike caught itself and wobbled itself straight. (I twisted my ankle a little though)
Thankfully I managed to limp the bike the rest of the way home and stripped out of my gear - I then had to go upstairs on my knees because I discovered that I couldn't walk without the boots on.

I then ran a bath (it was only 36 degrees, but it felt like boiling water) and clambered in - after 30 secs the pain in my feet was unbelievable - it took five mins of pretty miserable pain before they started to go pink again.
Now I know what it's like to ride in Scotland in August.

I'm going shopping tomorrow for some Goretex SMX6 boots - no way am I having wet feet again!

(I rode in today though)

You are Ranulph Fiennes and I claim my, etc.

And ride_to_die: " Thumbs Up cool" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Gore-tex lined army boots are (IME) fully - and I mean extended lashing gales, trudging through a highland peat bog - waterproof, and can be had barely worn for around £30. My last pair finally wore through the soles after 5 1/2 years of daily use, but were still bone dry.

I know a couple of months back when I was looking for boots, you mentioned these Gore-Tex lined boots, can I have a link please?

Rogerborg wrote:
Muffs cost less than gloves. I've paid £40 for Tucano Urbano, £9.50 for generic, and in the latest bargain, £7 delivered for BitzForBikes branded ones, all of which work much better at keeping the rain, wind and cold away from my fingers than any pair of gloves I'd tried, including Gore-Tex, or 3-finger lobster-mitts.

I wasn't a fan of the look of muffs but after yesterday,

practicality > looks

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

And ride_to_die: " Thumbs Up cool" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

haha...just to clarify the cool rating was for riding the bike the next day.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:00 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
I wasn't a fan of the look of muffs but after yesterday,

Muffs and fat girlfriends: very cosy, just don't let your mates catch you with both fists inside them.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:58 - 13 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

OldRTMan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a wuss , left it in the garage today Smile

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on the 125 today; it still bears the scars of a tip on freshly compacted snow a few years ago so if there was a chance of ice I'd have probably skipped it.

Interesting ride back at 5pm yesterday, I missed the snow but that was some of the heaviest rain I've ridden in. My boots let the water in (they're more seedy than SIDI) and I used to put my feet in plastic bags before booting up. Now I've upgraded, and have a pair of sleeves from an old pac-a-mac for my feet. I'm going up in the world.

My favourite way to beat the cold however is living 8 miles from work Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden at all since I found out I might die, until rainpal arrives I'll be using the car.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday evening was godawful, icy cold rain and loads of salt-laden spray. The second half of my journey I made with the visor half open trying to balance between seeing where I was going and keeping the stinging rain out of my eyes.

This morning despite the snow on the road was pretty alright in comparison. I was wearing all different gear coz yesterdays was still wet. My Dew Liner kept me warm and toasty with the Richa Typhoon on top to keep me dry.

Guys at work were all saying "You're mad riding in this weather" but meh it wasn't so bad in my opinion.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed last night’s snowpocalypse due to working from home, but I’m not sorry. I’ve ridden in heavy falling snow enough times to know it’s really crap. In fact I just parked up and walked away from the bike once, back in the 90’s. All your kit gets soaked, snow builds up on the visor really fast and you get the worst visor misting even with anti-fog defences. On that occasion I’d made it most of the way home, but the snow at that point was about 6 inches on the road and I knew I had some big hills ahead. Then I suddenly hit a bump that provoked a big sideways slide in slow motion that nearly had me off. I happened to be right next to a layby P sign so I found where I thought the layby was under the snow and abandoned the bike. The long walk in soaked bike gear was unamusing, but safer.

This morning wasn’t too bad around my neck of the woods. Chilly, but no snow and ice left on the roads. Although it snowed heavily again just as I left home, it stopped quite quickly only resulting in wet roads. The bike park at London Wall was equally quiet today. I think being Friday helped a lot of folk get “snowed in”.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:03 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left at 5am this morning, my road was covered in frozen snow. Moving a 300kg bike out on that was not fun. Then I had to play the game 'is that just wet or ice' on some local roads. Once I got into that London it was fine.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Last night's ride home is in my personal 'top 5 most miserable rides, ever'

I hadn't packed my waterproof gear, good start.

I left work [central London] at 17:45 to start my 40 mile commute (when it had already started tipping down with snow) and all was well - but ten mins in I had Pinlock failure - the visor started misting up so I had to repeatedly open visor, which meant that it got wet inside too.

I then felt my feet start to get wet (It turns out that my SMX5 WPs have small holes in them) - by the time I joined the A13 my feet were pretty cold, soaking wet and quite painful.

By the time I was halfway down the A13 I could no longer feel my feet (as in genuinely numb, couldn't move my toes) - but on the plus side they weren't hurting any more.
My jacket was now saturated and my inner clothing had now also started to get wet. I was starting to shake with cold.

My heated gloves then stopped working.

Visibility was a continual fight - possibly the worst I've experienced, I had to keep cracking visor to see where I was going, which was pretty painful on my eyes.

I got to the Pitsea flyover and bailed off the A13 because my hands were starting to get _really_ cold too and it was getting dangerous - anyway, I pulled over [nearly dropped the bike] and managed to get heated gloves working again (I'd leant on the controller and managed to turn it off) so that was good - after a few mins of defrosting my hands, I headed off again and pootled along the old A13 [London Road] and rejoined at Sadler's farm (A127-bound) - as I was on the slip road I completely lost my bearings, the slip-road was covered in snow so it was hard to find the lanes and I was struggling to see out through the open visor (not many cars had used the slip road by the looks of it, luckily for me there were no cars around me at the time) - I thought that I'd wandered over to the nearside kerb, so I started to drift right and I suddenly felt the front end wash out on the painted road markings - I had steering full lock and put one leg down and held my arm out ready to come off, but by some amazing piece of luck the bike caught itself and wobbled itself straight. (I twisted my ankle a little though)
Thankfully I managed to limp the bike the rest of the way home and stripped out of my gear - I then had to go upstairs on my knees because I discovered that I couldn't walk without the boots on.

I then ran a bath (it was only 36 degrees, but it felt like boiling water) and clambered in - after 30 secs the pain in my feet was unbelievable - it took five mins of pretty miserable pain before they started to go pink again.
Now I know what it's like to ride in Scotland in August.

I'm going shopping tomorrow for some Goretex SMX6 boots - no way am I having wet feet again!

(I rode in today though)

Last night was the worst I've had to deal with as a relative newbie but in my fucked up head I decided best way to the digs was the long way round to keep moving so,
instead of Aldgate to Harold Hill cutting through Chadwell Heath dickhead here went A13 M25 A12 back in I couldn't see a fucking thing at certain points and the wagons and spray got fucking bad.

Fair play to the bloke on the CBF600 on the M25 he was using the force to the best of his abilities at 90mph fair fucking play far bigger nuts than me.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:53 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode home in that rain last night - Richa one piece rain suit kept me bone dry.

Visibility was crap though, especially when behind other vehicles, at one point I even had to drop below three-figure speeds.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I rode home in that rain last night - Richa one piece rain suit kept me bone dry.

Visibility was crap though, especially when behind other vehicles, at one point I even had to drop below three-figure speeds.

Have you not changed your clock from kph yet? Laughing

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been learning from Bodytard, although I still have all my own teeth*

*form an orderly queue ladies

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

Fair play to the bloke on the CBF600 on the M25 he was using the force to the best of his abilities at 90mph fair fucking play far bigger nuts than me.

This is how it's done, overtaking the snowmobile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCjltVLuYas

Obviously a bit easier without so many cagers around. And the spiked tyres may have helped a little.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/IMAG3349_zpsbctdpwjv.jpg

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/IMAG33511_zpsgj5xadeg.jpg

Question

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/IMAG3349_zpsbctdpwjv.jpg

https://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz250/grrthefearless/Brisky%20shots/IMAG33511_zpsgj5xadeg.jpg

Question

Designed by Oscar Pistorius. Gun holster optional.
How weird would it be slamming on the front anchor and nothing happens?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2