Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time-Serts helicoil or any other tricks?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:32 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Time-Serts helicoil or any other tricks? Reply with quote

Ok so have an issue with a bodge done by previous owner here and I'm looking for a solution. The gear detent arm on my 636 has had the thread stripped and then been drilled and an attempt to tap out to m8 before putting an m6 bolt through again and sump removed and a nut placed on the other side. The bike worked fine in the few trackdays I used it before it wouldn't go into first without jumping back into neutral. Has anyone any suggestions on how I get this back down to an m6 thread? Cheers

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i like time-serts but you cant always use them due to material thickness, a helli coil will probably be fine too.

Last edited by craigT19 on 15:38 - 14 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDduCVUy6w

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time sert is my preferred choice the problem is im not sure of the size of hole required for an m6 insert the problem being its already been drilled to m8. I considered a riv nut Aswell I think that's what your talking about Craig and have ordered a few to see if it will work. Not a huge fan of helicoils especially not in this surcumstance

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:01 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do prefer timeserts, but unfortunately the drill size listed for that is .246" which is 6.24mm.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:09 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's the problem I thought I'd have... I Seen ones called big serts which they said is a thicker walled bushing to repair previously helicoiled holes which could possibly be an option

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:23 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or finish the M8 job?

Or keep the nut and bolt arrangement and fit a bronze bush in the hole?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw95 wrote:
Yeah that's the problem I thought I'd have... I Seen ones called big serts which they said is a thicker walled bushing to repair previously helicoiled holes which could possibly be an option

The video above gives a decent overview and pullout test of each, big-serts included.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah; forgot about the big-serts. LMJGTFY - 7.36mm for m6.
But it says 8.38mm tap, so may be an option.

Last edited by G on 19:00 - 14 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with going to m8 is the sleeve that fits over the m6 threads for the detent spring is for an m6 bolt. So if I read that right the drill size for big sert is 7mm but the tap is 8.35, im not sure how well the m8 hole has been tapped so not sure if there is enough metal to run the big sert tap through but it's an option.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old CB250RS I've a professionally fitted 'TimeSert' in the spark plug hole and I've done 3 'Helicoils' myself in the head, no problems with any. I've had several people slag-off 'Helicoils' but I've found they work well.

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a helicoil is decent enough in the right place but this is only for a crank case do 3/4mm ally and then it's into the oil pan so I wouldn't trust a helicoil in this instance

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received some E-Z LOK inserts to repair a previously hashed thread repair in an engine I'm rebuilding. The benefit of these is that they use standard taps on the outside of the insert so you haven't got to drop >£100 on a Big Sert kit, I paid £25 to the door for five M8 inserts which requires a 10.4mm drill bit and an M12x1.75 tap.

They came from here if you wanted to have a look, they also sell Time Sert and Big Sert kits for comparison. No link to seller etc...

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:10 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look spot on without spending the big bucks on a time sert. Thanks very much! Will let you know how I get on

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:50 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDduCVUy6w

<a-spooky-ghost.jpg>

tl;dw - Big-Sert by a "butt-ton", followed by Heli-Coil or recoil key-locking, then Time-Sert.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 15 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing the offending object it's hard to say how I would approach this but from reading I think I would first have a look to see how much access there is through the sump, and if it's enough I would probably make a pull-stud similar to wheel nut studs, turn a shoulder on the base to locate in the now over-sized hole and the rest would be normal sized with a nyloc nut on top.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So finally got round to fitting the ez lock insert yesterday, tapped out to m10x1.5 however once the insert was in it was a loose fit and could be spun by hand. I re fitted everything anyway and it seems to be working as should. I was thinking of taking off the sump and possibly aralditing the insert from there to make sure it can't unscrew itself but with the bolt inside now am I right in thinking that will keep it in place?

Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1