Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another "what bike" / "suggest me a bike"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:08 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Another "what bike" / "suggest me a bike" Reply with quote

Hi,

Short version - looking for a sports tourer, under 10 years old, 600cc (ish), budget of around £2500 to £2700... suggestions?

Longer Version - In December a uninsured van wrote my FZ6 s2 off... have currently had to claim off my insurance and so i'm sadly now limited to what bike I can get realistic insurance on. It is basically limiting me to bikes that would be classed as "first big bikes" or I'm looking at quotes of £1300 plus for a £2800 bike Crying or Very sad

It seems, from looking on Autotrader / MCN and getting some quotes that I'm looking at either

1) Another FZ6 S2
2) GSX 650F
3)ER-6F
4)CBF 600
5)SV650S

I need some fairing as I used it on the Motorway to go back to the Midlands (from London) every 6 weeks or so. Otherwise I'm after a commuter that I can have a bit of fun on.

I am thinking about a change from the FZ6 but to be honest I'm not sure there's anything better that ticks all the boxes

Any suggestions of anything I might have missed? Also, I can't believe how poor the market is at the moment. I'll admit I'd prefer a dealership bike (and yep, it's going to get me less for my money) but there's really not a lot around here that I can see (south west London)

Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:19 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Another "what bike" / "suggest me a bike& Reply with quote

I'd say the bikes you list are faired commuters rather than 'sports tourers'. If that's what you want, that's fine. Otherwise what about a CBR600F if you want more a sports tourer? (I'm not sure what years exactly, but I know for a while they sold a less-good version of the original CBR600f at this kind of market.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:30 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Another "what bike" / "suggest me a bike& Reply with quote

WimbleHJR wrote:
In December a uninsured van wrote my FZ6 s2 off... have currently had to claim off my insurance

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-uninsured-driver/

Is a CBR600F uninsurable?

If you're considering half faired, how about a Bandit 650? Not as much frock as the GSX650F but can probably be had a bit more easily / cheaply.

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:50 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rogerborg, am I right in thinking if I have fully comp I can't claim of MIB though? That was how it seemed when I looked into it briefly.

Seems like insurance people don't like the CBR 600, can't see an F in the drop down but any option I select is coming in at £1300.

I am also considering a Z750 as well now. It's insurable and has a little more power than the FZ6... sounds like the brakes aren't so good though Neutral

Ah, will have a look at the Bandit... though from when I first got a 600, it seemed like the Fazer was slightly better

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:04 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ongoing claim is often worse than an 'at fault' claim.
I'd try some quotes with the claim completed if that's an option. (Remember to use fake personal details, whatever.)

If there's the option for a CBR600RR, you've probably picked the right one.

If there's not, it's probably thinking you're on an all-out sports bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit left field, and not quite what perhaps you were thinking along the lines of, but what about an Aprilia Shiver 750?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:37 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

the biggest issue I have is that not all insurance sites have an option for "hit by uninsured driver" so I don't know what to put. Guess I'll be calling a few!

Bike wise I want something with some fairing as I'm on the motorway every month to head back to the midlands... don't fancy being a sail sadly Sad

I honestly think it's going to be another FZ6 at this rate... it's strange but I don't feel happy about going for another, even though I liked the one that got written off... but it seems like it is the best in its class at this point.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As G suggests, CBR600F is the one to go for.

That or a ZX6r - G or J model, but in good nick.

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:38 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly CBR600F was coming up too expensive on insurance and ZX6r is outside of my budget for insurance.

Thanks for the suggestions though Thumbs Up Will try again once I have the money, but think it might be a couple of years on the FZ6 and try again

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:36 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go slightly bigger, you could bag a tidy Sprint ST in that budget.

No idea what Insurance will be for you though.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Another "what bike" / "suggest me a bike& Reply with quote

WimbleHJR wrote:

I am thinking about a change from the FZ6 but to be honest I'm not sure there's anything better that ticks all the boxes

Hi Wimble. From your comment about the FZ6 ticking all the boxes I'd suggest sticking with one of those. Don't change what isn't broken.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:08 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Bandit 600/650.

Solid bikes and if you're considering the GSX anyway, well it's basically the same thing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Deauville

"a bit of fun on". Tut Tut

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Why not go slightly bigger, you could bag a tidy Sprint ST in that budget.

No idea what Insurance will be for you though.

I also thought Sprint ST. VFR800 can also be had for not much money these days. If insurance is your only reason for not wanting to go bigger OP then you might be pleasantly surprised, so worth looking at. Obviously fuel costs would be higher, especially with the VFR.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 11 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ6 is what I would take out of that lot.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprint will feel like a beached whale compared to the more nimble bikes mentioned. I know from experience sadly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Nekkid. Reply with quote

Look at the unfaired versions....may bring insurance down?
Once every six weeks is hardly motorway madness.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CBR and Ninja are prohibitively expensive on insurance, then just have a quick quote on YZF600's and Triumph TT600's or Daytona's. They might be much the same, but sometimes the Triumph is cheaper and the Yamaha isn't the firms full on 600 supersport so again it might be off the radar compared to the R6. Both these bikes were on my short list 16years ago, the Daytona 650 didn't exist then, but at a competitive price I'd have had one over the others I reckon.

At least you'll know then if faired 600's are doable insurance wise, or if you need to look at Bandits, Fazer's etc. The Suzuki GSXF and the ZZR, even the XJ600 diversion might be worth looking at too?

And then try quotes on bigger engined stuff just to see if you get away from 600's if it changes much or becomes cheaper for some bikes.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking for insurance on a Fazer 1000, might surprise you
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Other suggestions Reply with quote

Older Hayabusa or big Kwacka are cheap and offer a lot of comfort and are better on fuel than litre sports bikes driven steady. They have bulletproof engines and tons of spares available ? Just a thought Very Happy

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No OP for over a week, but I'll add that I got a Versys 650 a while back - have a look at those. This time of year you might find someone selling a decent one for your money. Insurance group's not bad either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1