Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice on CBT due to expire please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

i7builder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Advice on CBT due to expire please. Reply with quote

Hi guys im new here so a BIG hi from me!
I tend not to be one of them users who comes and goes? i'l stick around see how it goes, Anyways i passed the CBT and Theory 21 months ago i have just the last two stages to take but i doubt ill be able to get the money for it in time before it expires as its so damn expensive to take the last two parts!

What happens when my CBT expires would i Still have to wait a year or has the rules changed? just thinking if the rule still stands where you have to wait a year thats pretty dire of the government what happens to people who need to use their bike to get to work more so in rural areas?

Cheers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware you can just do another CBT immediately. The CBT isn't really intended to be used as an alternative to getting a license...it's more of a learner's permit sort of thing.

i7builder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:48 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEGGARK, Many thanks thats a great help...Ill have to look into how long i have to leave it before i can take the test again? Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on earth did you read that you have to wait a year?
Once it expires you can take it again immediately.

i7builder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:05 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt- Thanks for the reply! I took my CBT last about 7 years ago and i was told by the place i was getting a bike from..? lol i take it things have changed?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Where on earth did you read that you have to wait a year?
Once it expires you can take it again immediately.

Wasn't always like that though, in the pre CBT days you had a year suspension of your provisional if the test
wasn't taken within 2 years. I wouldn't be that surprised if this was re introduced. Many more changes to CBT
are also on the way.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2016/december/government-plans-new-licence-and-cbt-changes

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CBT expires you can just do another one, you need a valid CBT otherwise they will now allow you to do Mod 1 or Mod 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:46 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Advice on CBT due to expire please. Reply with quote

i7builder wrote:
I tend not to be one of them users who comes and goes? i'l stick around see how it goes,

Challenge accepted.

Nah, you're fine, there are plenty of eternaL-L-platers around, you can just re-do it.

Assuming that you're riding around on a 125, the other option is to get yourself an A1 license.

Costs:

Theory test = £23
Module 1 offroad = £15.50
Module 2 on-road = £75
= £113.50, or about the same cost as re-doing your CBT.

There's no need to pay for training, and plenty of resources are available like practice theory tests, and DVSA have some decent videos on YouTube about the tests.

You can book everything yourself, and the tests aren't that hard.. When you pass A1 it doesn't give you a license to ride anything bigger than a 125, but you don't need to keep doing CBTs and can rip up the L plates.

When you do come to do your big bike tests you'll still most likely end up going via a training school to get access to their training bikes. But you can rock up able to demonstrate that you're quite capable of passing the tests the hard way (on a 125) and just need familiarisation with a bigger bike.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:49 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the validity dates on your Theory Cert.. & Mod 1.

I cant remember OTMH but one or other is dated to the expirey of the other or CBT.

You can re-do CBT to keep L-Plating.....

Why, if you have done the 'first two parts'....

What are you counting?

0 - CBT
1 - Theory
2 - Mod 1 Practical
3 - Mod 2 Practical

CBT & Theory, or Theory & Mod 1? To my mind first two parts are Theoty & Mod 1.

As to Why the 'rest' is so expensive? Err... to me, no it isn't. Thoey is (was?) £30, Mod 1 £15, Mod 2 £75... add them up, and they come to £121.50, which all in is about' typ[ical price of a repeat CBT, which begs the suggestion, IF you are a month off CBT expiry, and have already got 1/2 way to a full licence, you'd be as well chucking the money you'd have to spend on another CBT, doing the tests!

'expensive' bit is training... but. you DO NOT have to have any; courses (other than CBT) are not compulsary, even to do 'big bike' licence tests... but thats another story.

Assuming you mean you have CBT & Theory, but not Mod 1 & Mod 2, but you DO have a 125 you could keep L-Plating on, and have been L-Plating on, AND are here to tell the tale... Go 'self book' A1 tests and do them instead of another CBT, examiner asks little of you you shouldn't be doing already.... getting accross town without breaking any road laws or causing hazard... and get a FULL licence in your pocket for the effort... repeat CBT is a whole day... mod 1 takes 20 min, Mod 2 45, its not even as cheap, its quicker! Nails down your theory,. and you never have to repeat CBT to kiip 125'ing... IF you want entitlement for bigger bikes, you can do that in your own time, as and when you can afford, but in the mean time, no need to display an L-Plate or be worried about wandering onto motorways... can carry a pillion if you want, too!

You dont have' to keep doing it on L-Plates NOR stump up big couse fees to do a course to get a licence.

But check them expiry dates on the pass certs for what you have already got.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:26 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the advice given here. Take and pass the A1 category full licence tests. At least that way, you'll get some experience and will know whether you're doing it the right or the wrong way. There's very little, or no difference, in cost between the A1 tests and another CBT.

There's really no excuse, because you have to do something now your CBT is due to expire. The only reason for you choose to take another CBT at this point would be your belief that you would fail a full licence test, in which case, you need to take a good look at what you've been doing for the last couple of years and whether you should be riding on the road at all without further lessons. The way I see it is, you've got the road experience, so you should go and take the A1 tests. A CBT that lasts forever which costs the same as a temporary CBT and takes less time, as well as giving you a full practice run for A2 and A tests? What's there to lose? BTW I did it that way.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: Advice on CBT due to expire please. Reply with quote

i7builder wrote:
just thinking if the rule still stands where you have to wait a year thats pretty dire of the government what happens to people who need to use their bike to get to work more so in rural areas

I'd guess they'd have done what everyone else does and actually get a full licence. Cool

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i7builder wrote:
Holdawayt- Thanks for the reply! I took my CBT last about 7 years ago and i was told by the place i was getting a bike from..? lol i take it things have changed?

NOT since about 1990....... when CBT was introduced, and put the two year period it validated motorcycle 'learner' entitlement on the CBT cert, where it had, from '82 been on the licence, with a 12-month period of disqual, if you hadn't passed ANY full licence test in that time.

If you turned your licence green, from pink, passing any entitlement test, from a tractor to an articulated lorry, motorcycle provisional entitlement, if valid on the provisional at the time it was converted, was granted for the life of the licence there after.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch that you don't let your Theory expire between passing Mod 1and taking Mod 2, otherwise your Mod 1 will be invalid and you will have to take it again, like me Crying or Very sad

Jon

i7builder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:09 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Sorry i was AFK most of yesterday, Thank you all so much for the input! i have a much better understanding of what is entailed now, if i can ever return the favour see my profile and just PM me cheers! Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby probably has something that he needs buried under his patio. Really deep.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i7builder wrote:
see my profile and just PM me cheers! Smile

your profile wrote:
I'm up for anything tbh

Shocked

You really shouldn't say things like that around here. Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
i7builder wrote:
see my profile and just PM me cheers! Smile

your profile wrote:
I'm up for anything tbh

Shocked

You really shouldn't say things like that around here. Laughing

They'll ask if you can use your JCB to fill in Judkins Quarry.... preferably with me in the bottom!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1