Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wales MotoGP track gets the go ahead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
secretagentmole wrote:
What is so wrong with Brands Hatch? WSB seem to like Donington so it could be held there, rather than that rat hole in Northamptonshire?

I don't know if Brands Hatch would be ok with regards to run-off areas etc. BSB's quite painful to watch sometimes as the riders normally hit something when they come off.

I don't know why they don't hold it at Donington as it used to host MotoGP. Donington's failed F1 bid (spearheaded by a similarly dodgy character) messed things up somewhat.

Have you been to Donington? The facilities are poor and getting in and out of a MotoGP sized event is carnage. Not as bad as the roads around Mugello IME though.

Brands is a no go due to run off (Upper paddock is tiny as well). Snetterton could have potential, run off is ample, but again the facilities aren't great.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:37 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But again (again) if the commercial income justifies building an entirely new circuit from scratch, plus infrastructure to support it, it surely justifies rebuilding an existing one?

I think what I'm trying to get at is that it probably doesn't, and that the whole thing is a wheeze to funnel tends or hundreds of millions of taxpayers' money into consultants' and contractors' pockets, with no intention of ever seeing it through.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:48 - 29 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Have you been to Donington? The facilities are poor and getting in and out of a MotoGP sized event is carnage. Not as bad as the roads around Mugello IME though.

Brands is a no go due to run off (Upper paddock is tiny as well). Snetterton could have potential, run off is ample, but again the facilities aren't great.

The roads to Silverstone are not exactly brilliant.

Snetterton does have facilities! Like this one!
https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/

What about Rockingham then?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

I know, that's one of the reasons people questioned why they were awarded the F1 race, although I'm sure Bernie only cares about the size of the cheque, and not about whether or not the race would actually work. My point was that they did host it (last in 2009 I think).

secretagentmole wrote:

Sleeping It's the most boring circuit in the country. Snetterton maybe but that's hardly an exciting track either.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:10 - 30 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:

Run off again. If you crash in the chicane you're into the wall. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now seems that Lord Kinnock 'accidentally' copy-pastad a whole stack of Circuit of Wales begging letters on House of Lords paper. Tut Tut

The Taffy Tories want him turfed off taffy.gov's EU advisory group over it.

Still no actual movement on the site itself, of course. They need to Fundrazr it.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It now seems that Lord Kinnock 'accidentally' copy-pastad a whole stack of Circuit of Wales begging letters on House of Lords paper. Tut Tut

The Taffy Tories want him turfed off taffy.gov's EU advisory group over it.

Still no actual movement on the site itself, of course. They need to Fundrazr it.

MotoGP Wales in association with Rainpal. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:28 - 12 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're close, baby, so close.

Adam Aarons, or whomever they've got running the bid, is now touting it as a potential Formula 1 circuit because... why not? Anything's possible in Imagination Land.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 13 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes because Silverstone are questioning whether they're going to host Formula 1 in the future (with a lot of other European and world venues), so it must be a nice cheap event to put on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circuit of Wales creates another 30 local jobs.

No, wait, not creates. The other thing. Destroys.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:37 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all go-go-go today. Motor racing? Not enough. Now it's a world-leading sports, leisure and entertainment complex

"Mountain Bike Trails, BMX Park, Indoor Skiing, Trampolining, Skatepark, Surf Park, Virtual Reality Zone, Live Music Stages plus two hotels and a campsite"

https://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article12409908.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/EXTREME-MASTERPLAN-MAIN-IMAGE.png

Looks like they're throwing everything at the bid in the hope that something will stick.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's all go-go-go today. Motor racing? Not enough. Now it's a world-leading sports, leisure and entertainment complex

"Mountain Bike Trails, BMX Park, Indoor Skiing, Trampolining, Skatepark, Surf Park, Virtual Reality Zone, Live Music Stages plus two hotels and a campsite"

https://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article12409908.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/EXTREME-MASTERPLAN-MAIN-IMAGE.png

Looks like they're throwing everything at the bid in the hope that something will stick.

Music to my ears... we will however just be left with a place to dump an old couch.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
a place to dump an old couch.

"Luxury relaxation accoutrement".

The whole place will likely become an impromptu watersports facility after a Welsh summer.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Adam Aarons in charge? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:47 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Is Adam Aarons in charge? Laughing

You're not the first to have that thought. Wink

If they actually do motorsport there (it's looking like an afterthought now), then they'll need Rainpals or 54,567,323 will die.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stimulating the Taffy economy by awarding the construction deal to some Catalan cowboys, with a mealy mouthed explanation of "We're a private company, we don't have to discuss the tender process. Now back us with public money."

In other bikesportnews, amid an interesting article on the state of circuits and racing in the UK, "Wales won't happen" is the terse verdict.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks to pay the rent or the orphanage gets burned to the ground.

Well, two weeks to name the secret investors, or taffy.gov will jolly well, er... send an even sterner memo. You see if they don't, look you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:05 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's stop on the loltrain:

HotVDC: Yeah, mate, yeah, BMW is gagging to build Motorrad World there, be like Jurassic Park but with cars and bikes and that, well up for it.

BMW: Nein, zis is einer untruth.

HotVDC: We totes never said nothing like that and anyway it was a secret meeting so taking notes of what we said was well bogus. Fite!

Wow, they've finally gone FULL RAINPAL. Dance!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:50 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotVDC wrote:
We totes never said nothing like that and anyway it was a secret meeting so taking notes of what we said was well bogus. Fite!

David Davies: Actually, I taped it because I reckoned you were lying liars. Would you like to listen to yourself lying? You liars.

So much Drama Llama. Dance!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock turnaround.

We've totally got £425m in private money, we have, we have. [stamps feet]

OK, go on then, build your mud pit. Razz

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
HotVDC wrote:
We totes never said nothing like that and anyway it was a secret meeting so taking notes of what we said was well bogus. Fite!

David Davies: Actually, I taped it because I reckoned you were lying liars. Would you like to listen to yourself lying? You liars.

So much Drama Llama. Dance!

He's allowed to say whatever he likes in Parliament, I wonder if that includes being able to play whatever he wants?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:59 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
He's allowed to say whatever he likes in Parliament, I wonder if that includes being able to play whatever he wants?

That is a very interesting question indeed. I guess it would need to be explored to see what the "honourable" members and ultimately the courts think about it. Thinking

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Shock turnaround.

We've totally got £425m in private money, we have, we have. [stamps feet]

OK, go on then, build your mud pit. Razz

Any official announcement of the money they definitely have yet?

Might as well just quit now, even if they do manage to actually move earth the chances of them having a finished circuit at the end are nil.

To be honest in my opinion the chances of them actually breaking earth is nil anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do seem to have some actual backers now, and the deal appears to be that they need to complete the circuit with their own money before taffy.gov will step in to pick up up to £200 million in further costs or to write down debts.

Of course, that's fantasy - if they get it even part-way complete, they'll come begging for public funds to finish it off, as the rateable and taxable income jobs from a 99% complete circuit is zero.

A leeked report from a Welsh economist makes the pretty strong point that you could outright buy Silverstone for £50 million, if you wanted to own a complete circuit that still can't turn a profit even with Formula 1.

So why would you spend nine times as much to build a competing circuit that won't even have the top tier of racing? You'd only do that if you were eager to lose money.

And if taffy.gov have £200 million (or even £100 million, given a generous 50:50 chance of success) to burn, why not invest it in existing successful businesses that are looking to expand?

A very good question, and one which I hope Welshlanders are asking their elected representatives at this time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It happens in Formula 1 all the time, they build these new facilities so they can get a load of investment, before someone realises it's unprofitable and the race falls off the calendar.

I should have added and pocket a load of cash.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9