Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electricians - Am I being over Quoted?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Electricians - Am I being over Quoted? Reply with quote

Quick one, I am having a replacement Hob and Oven installed...

I am in no way an expert and certainly not in a position to undertake this work myself. And not withstanding any warranty I would want to keep valid with these (expensive) appliances.

The existing set up is a Single breaker into a switch and down to a junction which powers both the Hob and Oven (both electric).

(I didn't know this until last night when the guy came to have a look and quote which of course time = money)

New set up will be an induction hob (hard wired) and hard wired oven both which need to be on separate breakers due to the ampage (I think). So this will require a new circuit putting in for the oven - which the breaker box (fuse box? apologies for the terminology) is just next to where the oven is so any cable does not have to travel more than 3ft and as the fuse box is full to re-wire 2 different sockets onto the same breaker (these replaced electric heater points after we took out the electric heating) and convert the existing oven connection for just the Hob.

On top of this, the hole in the counter is not large enough (by about 1cm) for the new hob so we need a chippie to come and cut the hole to size.

Quote - £200 for all works... I didn't think this was totally unreasonable but having attempted to google and not get a straight answer does this sound ok?

I know AO who provided the appliances have a fitting service which may work out slightly cheaper but I wouldn't exactly trust their skill and most complaints on review sites come back to their fitting services not wanting to do certain things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sounds fair to me TBH.

Can you not cut a bigger hole yourself? It sounds like a 5 minute job with a jigsaw to me.

I recently wired in a new oven with the help of a mate, I used a single breaker with a 40a RCBO. That was spec'd to provide enough for the new oven and a future induction hob. However it depends on the rating of the appliances.

My oven was 4.7kw

4700/230(v) = ~20amps.

This means I can have a hob fitted that is up to ~5.5kw

5500/230 = ~24amps

You are allowed a fuse 90% of the total max rating because 'Diversity' which basically means it's unlucky everything will be outputting max power at once.

You may be able to do it on the same breaker but that depends on if the wiring is up to it and if the appliances are low enough.

You also should have an isolator switch for each appliance.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

amperage of oven and hob may help, a lot of ovens are just a 13A plug top, which wouldnt require all the electrical work for a new circuit etc.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
amperage of oven and hob may help, a lot of ovens are just a 13A plug top, which wouldnt require all the electrical work for a new circuit etc.

apologies, the Hob is 7.2KW and 30 amps

The Oven is 3.95KW and 16 amps

and Chris, i could attempt it myself but I dont want to replace the rest of the kitchen for the sake of a £50 saving.

Last edited by dodsi on 14:38 - 18 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:

Not anymore they aren't! Especially induction stuff.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
bugeye_bob wrote:

apologies, the Hob is 7.2KW and 30 amps

The Oven is 3.95KW and 16 amps

That'd be why you need the separate circuits then Thumbs Up

I think around ~35amps is the limit for standard 6mm t&e cable in the wall. I had to run 10mm cable to a junction in my boiler cupboard then split it.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't house bashed for many years, but £200 is a reasonable price, for in essence, is a days work perhaps.

Make sure you get the relevant certificates from the guy doing it. A new circuit is an addition, to change a circuit requires an alteration.

Also from memory, you can apply diversity to a hob, as in its unlikely you will have all 4 rings on, but you don't for an oven as it is either on or off (same as electrical showers)

The electrician must also be Part P registered as the work will be notifiable, however he should do all of that for you.

Unless you have just moved in, then offer cash to someone decent (or do yourself with guidance). "It was like that when I moved in"

OT: Years ago when I was on the tools, I could finish work having worked on 400v, 3ph systems at many hundreds of amps but not install an extra socket in my kitchen because I hadn't paid to be registered.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:30 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janner, good to get some opinions to understand what things should cost etc.

In terms of the scopes of work I am happy with what is suggested because we spent extra (read hundreds extra) in order to have 4 x zones that can be used on a boost setting simoultaniously - had we not wanted to do this we could have spent a lot less on the hob.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1