Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MAG's valedictory to 2016

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: MAG's valedictory to 2016 Reply with quote

I keep asking what the Motorcycle Action Group have actually achieved for bikey bike bikers, and I finally have my answer.

MAG wrote:
News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

`MAG’s world went better than the rest of the world’

This version: 2016 12 19 Embargo:Immediate

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG), the UK’s leading voice for riders’ rights, has had a year characterised by results. The biking world is in better shape at the end of the year than it was at the beginning.

MAG was founded at a time when civil liberties were being compromised and the international situation looked very unstable. While history may be repeating itself in some respects on the world stage, the Motorcycle Action Group has had one of the most productive periods in its 43-year existence.

MAG’s Chair, Selina Lavender, is impressed with the level of output: ‘2016 has seen MAG change gear to become the clear voice of riders in a hugely credible way. We’ve established lasting relationships with decision-makers at local and national level. Our work with the motorcycle industry has become strategic. We’re helping to spearhead the campaign to deal with motorcycle-related crime. We’ve challenged insane cycle-lane schemes which have harmed all powered traffic for little benefit to the economy, environment or society. We’ve submitted a significant number of responses to local and national Government consultations; possibly more than at any time in our history. And we’re being taken seriously in debates about the future of transport, in terms of autonomous vehicles, the strategic roads network and the environmental agenda. I’d say we’ve had a pretty good year.’

MAG’s focus for 2017 is more of the same. Selina adds: ‘a lot of the work we do is not glamorous, dramatic or newsworthy. Meeting local authority officers is very much a desk job, as is the submission of serious comments to Government consultations. That’s how we make progress. It’s hardly surprising we now have a growing network, with new groups in London, Northern Ireland and elsewhere. We can take nothing for granted; these achievements have been earned and the more we do the more we are taken seriously. It’s high-octane stuff – and the results prove that riders are now being taken seriously in a way which was desperately needed. I want to thank everyone – activists and professional staff alike – for a tremendous year of progress. While the world has had its fair share of shocks and disappointments, most of what’s happened in MAG’s world has been enormously positive. Let’s keep that momentum going – and let’s keep delivering results in the interests of liberty and riding.’

There you go. Serious strategic partnerships to spearhead challenging campaigns in submitting partnering relationship strategies.

That's my cynicism knocked into a cocked hat, I can tell you. Whistle

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, it's like being dragged back into a meeting full of middle management when I worked in a factory, all the patter with absolutely no substance...

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they get rid of that Liversausage arsehole? You know, that handsome charmer.

https://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Neil%20Liversidge.jpg

Small steps..... fucking long road.......

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great that MAG have been doing some blue sky thinking outside the box and have been getting idea-soaked in thought showers. It'll be a game changer now they've parked the helicopter views.

Now they just need to rename themselves MagPal.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
I think it's great that MAG have been doing some blue sky thinking outside the box and have been getting idea-soaked in thought showers. It'll be a game changer now they've parked the helicopter views.

Now they just need to rename themselves MagPal.

When they hired a publicist (Spin doctor) you just knew it was going to go to shit.

I won't be renewing.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:27 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

"all hat and no cattle"

(US, idiomatic) Full of big talk but lacking action, power, or substance; pretentious.  

Synonyms:

all bark and no bite; all bluff and bluster; all booster, no payload; all crown, no filling; all foam, no beer; all ham, no let; all hammer, no nail; all icing, no cake; all lime and salt, no tequila; all mouth and no trousers; all mouth and trousers; all shot, no powder; all sizzle and no steak; all talk; all talk and no action; all wax and no wick; all motion and no meat; all show, no go; all fart and no poo

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/all_hat_and_no_cattle

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes ponds, delivers sweet fa. AAAAARON'S get the hell over here son, it's your density calling

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, in another thread, wrote:
Hmm.

Leon now says 'well directed' direct action needed to change things. Let me guess, organised by other people? And will you help in the direction process Leon?

In other news, some offers of direct action support have been received although no news as to who from. Only that they are potentially influential. Potentially. My guess is the Cheeky Girls.

Other than that, nada. Zilch. Zero.

Not grumbling at you Roger but MAG seem to make a lot of noise and nothing happens.

Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And swinging into 2017.

Nice Employer Ltd wrote:
News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

MAG starts the New Year happy after ‘fast and furious’ 2016

This version: 2017 01 05 Embargo: Immediate

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG), the UK’s leading voice for riders’ rights, has everything to look forward to in 2017: here’s why.

‘It’s breath-taking how much has happened in the world of riders’ rights over the last three years.’ So says Selina Lavender, the Chair of MAG, speaking about the prodigious output of the movement over the last twelve months. ‘Our staff had a fast and furious 2016 with immense challenges. These included legal, political and logistical issues, and they pretty much defined a year of hard graft. It also means we begin 2017 far ahead of where we were this time last year.’

What’s on the agenda for 2017? ‘We’ll be taking the same inclusive and team-spirited approach’ continued Selina. ‘We’re not looking for fights, we’re looking for allies - and that’s the hallmark of the organisation’s way of operating. We’ll be visiting the Department for Transport a lot, to discuss everything from how you get a bike licence through to the challenges presented by autonomous vehicles. There’s the threat of bikes being charged to use Thames crossings, a motorcycle and scooter theft epidemic, especially in London, and the use of overly-restrictive injunctions to control anti-social behaviour, which could potentially harm the freedoms of legitimate riders too. In every case we engage, debate and propose better solutions to shared concerns.

‘It’s not glamorous work, and it requires a great deal of research. But our team has proven its ability to deliver, and they’re building their credibility all the time. Let’s be clear: 2017 is going to be a big year for riders’ liberties. MAG is right up there defending your right to ride. We also invite dealers and the manufacturing sector to support our work. What we do sustains the market by defending the freedom to ride. It’s got to be a team effort, and we hope the sector as a whole will work to protect and promote riding in the years ahead – starting in 2017. If we can do that, it really will be a happy new year for biking.’

MAG invites riders, dealers, mechanics and manufacturers to join MAG and help create a united voice for the common good of the riding community.

Still struggling to think of any examples of what they've delivered.

I mean a cow creates "prodigious output".

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to get to MAG's website, but just get THIS?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:23 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
I've tried to get to MAG's website, but just get THIS?

Well, you can't surface an omelette without leveraging a few synergies going forward.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 05 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but only if you monetize strategic infomediaries

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Employer Ltd wrote:
‘We’re not looking for fights, we’re looking for allies - and that’s the hallmark of the organisation’s way of operating. We’ll be visiting the Department for Transport a lot, to discuss everything ..... In every case we engage, debate and propose better solutions to shared concerns.

Thinking

How's that search for allies going then MAG? And what happened to Leon's call for more direct action?

Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:18 - 06 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that picking up the phone and talking to those splitters at the Judean-British Motorcycle Federation is still anathema?

Leon was apparently their president for about 5 minutes before being mysteriously un-presidented: I can only imagine how sour them apples are.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullshit Bingo, anyone?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on Euro4 implementation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nothing on Euro4 implementation?

They're waiting to 'transition seamless convergence'

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 19 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all very similar to the bollocks my union comes out with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1