BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Some 125 advice please...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:08 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend checking out https://cycle-ergo.com/ to get a rough idea what you sit like on a bike. Bare in mind when you sit on the bike it will drop some from stated seat height but you can't see that.

Some suggested bikes for taller people:
Yamaha WR125X
Honda Varadero 125 (I think most suited to your build)
Suzuki DR125SM

Although expensive, from experience I can say it's totally worth getting training for a full license even if you stay on a 125. I picked up many bad habits (and a serious accident) in 2 years on a CBT it made the adjustment to riding properly more difficult.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:02 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanderbale wrote:
Suzuki DR125SM

As you noted, bikes sag, and that one does it big style. It has high pegs too. I found it fitted me fine, which means the OP might find it cramped.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, getting my 125 in the 4 months between CBT and DAS was pain wrong and a waste of money.

But it was fun - to the extent that fun can be had on a 125. It just meant I was out riding on the road and enjoying it.

MarkJF
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:59 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am similar age to the op, but I've been up the capacity ladder as far as1300cc over the years.

I have a short 7 mile commute and some times cycle, but it's a very arduous trip and some days I just don't fancy it, especially the return 7 miles after a hard shift. So In Dec I bought a 125, I don't need anything bigger, it wouldn't get me to work and back any quicker, the traffic is choked. I don't like weedy lookers like the YBF nor pretend 125 sports or cruisers, so I bought ther only 125 that I wanted to actually ride and thought might be fun, I bought a Van Van and love it. Very Happy

https://zoomerboys.freeflux.net/files/images/blog/vanvan1.jpg

IggyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 40, used to motox 25/30 years ago and got a bike to commute a small 6 miles to work, as I can use the bus lanes and park for free.
I'm 5ft 9 and approx 14st and found the YZF and MT bikes to tall for me, so went for a YBR 125 as I can reach to floor comfortably.
So a YBR might be to small for you, also I believe that it has a couple of HP less than other bikes, but what that relates to in real world power to weight, compared to other bikes, I don't know.
I got a 125 instead of going straight DAS as I only need to do my small commute and might just renew my CBT in two years. Or so I thought.
Within a couple of weeks I began to get frustrated with the lack of power due to slower vehicles. e.g. cars doing 45mph in a 50mph zone and me not wanting to crawl past in the overtaking lane and backing up all the traffic.
I'm now looking to do my DAS ASAP and get something like a Yamaha Tracer, however I don't regret paying £2500 for a new 125, to hopefully go and replace it after approx a year.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IggyT wrote:
So a YBR might be to small for you,

I'm 6' 3", and have about 2 hours before I need to stop and stretch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2