Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tall rider first bike on a budget?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

breakfast biscuit
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:28 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Tall rider first bike on a budget? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any cheap used bikes suitable for taller riders?

I'm 6'2 with a 34" inseam and the bikes I've ridden give me really bad cramp in my ankle and knee. I'm only 20 and a cyclist so I don't attribute this to poor joints or anything. I rode a CB125f after my CBT which was absolutely unbearable, then did my A2 on an ER6n which had me limping everytime I got off the bike.

Now I'm looking for my first bike, with a budget of £1.5k ideally or £2k at a push. If I had more money I'd be looking at something like a Versys or CB500X but these are out of my budget at at least £3k used.

I'm reading a lot of conflicting information about what to start on, people say you should start on a 250 but no 250 will fit me, other than dual sports but I really don't like the aesthetics of them. I want a sport bike ideally or a street/adventure bike if necessary, but all the cheap used bikes seem to be things like GS500s and CBF500s which are just too small.

Someone recommended a V-strom 650 but apparently they are very heavy and unsuitable as a first bike.

As you can see I'm pretty lost and would appreciate some advice, or I'll just have to get another scooter.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I don't get this.

I'm 6' 3" with a 34" IL. I only get problems on bikes with high rearsets. Anything approaching upright is fine. I did get cramps when I first started riding on the road, but it was because I was tense as fuck. Once I chilled out and just rode, they went away.

As for engine size, while going and jumping on a 200BHP Hyper sports is probably a bad idea, throttles don't have to be opened all the way. As long as you respect it and gt used to it, you can ride damn near anything. I wouldn't worry overly much about weight as it's only noticeable at standstill and low speeds. Once your used to it, you'll be fine.

SkyBadger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ER6N is a small bike though. I tried one out for my DAS and it was uncomfortable straight away for me at 6ft2.

Go to a few dealers and sit on a bunch.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Taller bikes. Reply with quote

Cb500x isn't that tall....wife is 5'4" and sits comfortably on one ( and her er6n).
It's weird what bikes fit and don't. Wider tanks make sports/naked versions seem taller. Friend who is of similar stature to you rode a 2004 sv 650 and an er6f without discomfort. Versus and vstrom are not that tall...my colleague rode a vstrom for instructing and she was 5'5".
If you want a bike you can straddle and not feel like it's a kids bike, then a ktm 690/ husky 701 will tick that box. As a first bike...hmmmmmm..my 701 is naughty.
Had a pupil last year 6'3" buy an r6 and loves it!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Hmmmm a2 Reply with quote

A2 is a bit of a smaller field. If you look at bikes you like in budget, look at adjustable rearsets that give you an inch of extra legroom.

Last edited by Kentol750 on 00:07 - 31 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkyBadger wrote:
the ER6N is a small bike though. I tried one out for my DAS and it was uncomfortable straight away for me at 6ft2.

Your height means nothing. Your inseam is where the important part of "What bike's for me?" is at. Just FYI, IMO.

breakfast biscuit wrote:
Does anyone know of any cheap used bikes suitable for taller riders?

Tiddlers are just that, tiddly. A child's bike, wouldn't really play attention to the ergonomics with you on one because waste of time.

Draw up a shortlist and then try (https://cycle-ergo.com/). While pumping digits into a computer only works so far at least you'll know, in 2d, how you'll look while out and about on your steed. In truth it will probably just allow to you to see what's provisionally suitable before making the trip to potentially buy one. In truth you'll just have to sit on a few until you find the one, for now.

breakfast biscuit wrote:
people say you should start on a 250 but no 250 will fit me

There's endless sides to the coin of peoples opinions. Do as you please and don't die, simples.

250cc-300cc is generally, what I consider, a 70mph capable inner city commuter that can be run at low cost in all areas. A kind of better 125 suitable for the roads to go alongside the big-er bike tucked away throughout winter. Does the job and all that as a starter but you'll probably quickly outgrow. (All my theory mind, I've skipped that category entirely.)

breakfast biscuit wrote:
I want a sport bike ideally or a street/adventure bike if necessary, but all the cheap used bikes seem to be things like GS500s and CBF500s which are just too small.

Hmm, leany forward, ney thanks. I sat on an SV 650 and felt like I was going to headbutt the tank. As a tall rider it just wasn't right for me. You'd have to sit on a few to see how you get on but don't be surprised if it doesn't work out. Saying that BVG owns multiple sports and he's taller, I think, than you so it's do-able.

I'd say GS500/CBF500 are more commuter than street. Street to me is Street tripple, MT-07/09/10 and so on. Naked's with a bit of umph. Adventure would probably be the CB500X or alike. Saying that I saw a R1200GS for the first time in person parked up and it looked small as fudge.

Whatever you buy just make it isn't heavy because the limiting factor in my winter commuting thus far has been that lugging a 200kg+ bike around, my own, on icy paths isn't an easy task and one I now avoid if I see the weather coming. Just something I overlooked is all and worth passing on, your storage location dependant.

But yeah, all TL:DR like, go sit on some and see what you find. I ended up with a ZR-7S after a Lexmoto Arrow and I've made it work thus far.

I consider being tall a bonus because I managed the transition from a tiddler to a big-un without compromise. I flat floot the big-un the same way as the tiddler, if not a little less, so never have in issues or lapse of confidence while riding about stopping on uneven surfaces and so on. Sit on one until you find one that's comfortable. Upright bikes is where it's at for me.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Versys ...

Here's a few to consider ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Versys-650-/322406061955?hash=item4b10e61783:g:Jw4AAOSw5cNYjbdr

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-VERSYS-650-/291944680229?hash=item43f9424b25:g:UMUAAOSwcUBYLInU

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Versys-650-in-Black-at-Robinsons-of-Rochdale-/152141454268?hash=item236c565bbc:g:fy4AAOSwOVpXbDW3

I would say that potentially the first one especially looks to be a bargain

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:31 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also 6'3" & 34& a bit inside leg.
I'd tend to concur with Dippy; It IS more likely the way yo are sitting on the bike, and being tense, likely nervous and 'fighting' the bike, and that your haven't adjusted bars or controls at all for your posture.

Motorbikes just like pushbikes aught to have the handlebars loosened off and rotated to the most comfy position for your seat, brake and clutch levers likewise positioned to fall to fingers, and similarly the gear and brake pedals.

Ignoring inside leg, body length and arm reach, this can significantly influence where you grip the bars, and f you don't adjust bars and levers, that can make you adopt a more awkward 'seat' to work them.

Engine displacement is merely a metric of the size of hole in the engine where fire happens; it has little correlation to the physical size of a bike, whether tiddler or 'big-bike', where a modern 600cc sports bike can have less mass and more compact dimensions than many a learner-legal!

BUT, aches and pains will like as not be down to your posture and being tense.

I like taller bikes, but high seat height dirt-bikes can work counter intuitively, with only the seat being high off the floor, and commensurately high pegs making riding position 'as' scrunched in the legs, whilst sitting forward, close to wide pars, the upper body ergonomics aren't always the most comfy, either.

Sports-bikes, tend to be short and narrow and low, and scrunched regardless... cruisers, for all the low seat, often have a lot of leg-room to forward set controls, though perverse slow speed handling from it! Regulation 'sit up and beg' commuters and tourers, I tend to find the more comfy, they are certainly usually offer the more natural and neutral ring position more often.

And again, it is NOT something particularly related to engine displacement. I still ride tiddlers for giggles. They are great round town, where light weight and agility counts, as does mpg, whilst they are a lot of fun for a balls-out thrash in the country. Big-Bike is far more serious, and used for any long haul work... and in THAT, reletively recent re-evaluation, had me recognize that the 'one hour saddle time' endurance limit I awarded the 125, in the same sort of use, actually applies pretty much to the big-bike too.... chucking little bike about the lanes or jostling with town traffic IS tiresome, but, using the big-bike for such trips instead, made me realize just how much it IS the type of riding that inflicts that fatigue, not the type of bike. Sitting the big bike at two, three hours at a stretch, wasn't because it's a big-bike, but because I wasn't having to work it very hard on a longer jaunt!

Which brings us back.. nerves, being tense, being a newb, probably fighting the bike, and probably trying to tackle harder work traffic IS much more likely to be the problem here, than ergonomics of the bike.

As said, similar build to you; I ride 125's and big-bikes; they don't need to be particularly cramped or un-comfy.. crikey I have more issues getting into cars, big or small! and having a roof in the bludy-way, and having to sit on the back seat so I can work the clutch without my knee turning on the indicators!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:38 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6ft 2, 25 years old and have a Honda Hornet (an early one).
People say these are small but I've never had any issues, find it really comfy. I paid £750 for it.

You're going to struggle with anything sports bike like (R6, GSXR etc) as they are quite cramped bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:47 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Strom will be fine, and yes, Versyses (Versii?) are in budget for you now.

Or, and this is a completely serious suggestion, buy pretty much any A2 bike and strap a cushion on the seat. You may want to fit higher bars or rotate them a bit to match, but I tend to spunk £20 or so on replacing bars anyway just for kicks.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:21 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'5 and the only issues i've had whilst riding were on sports bikes. Everything else has been OK.

I ride a TDM900 now.

You could probably just get one for 1500-2000. The 850's are cheaper but the 900 is a much better bike.

Ignore what anyone says about something like it being a bad starter bike.

My First bike was a Triumph Speed Four and I felt the TDM is a bike better 'first bike it's a lot more forgiving.

As for weight, the TDM is lighter than a bandit 600 which used to be the go to starter bike also if you are big weight shouldn't matter anywhere near as much.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory link for freakshow giants and dwarves

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Edit: already mentioned above Rolling Eyes

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 04 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vstrom too heavy for a first bike? MCN says 189kg. I'd say that's pretty good. It's an sv650 (the poster child of cheap first bikes) with adventure kit bolted on, it'll be fine. It's lighter than a bandit which was the go-to first 600 for years because it was as cheap as chips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1