Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mod 1 Question (training)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

zippoflames
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Mod 1 Question (training) Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just curious how much training people had before they did the mod 1?
Never rode before>passing mod one specifically, Have follow up questions but want to see what the average seems to be.

Cheers

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 Question (training) Reply with quote

zippoflames wrote:
Have follow up questions but want to see what the average seems to be.

Cheers

Careful, sounds like a college coursework survey question to me.

If not our answers, average or not, aren't going to be how long it takes you.

"Never rode before?" Well, to be technical isn't that impossible? Ie: you need to complete CBT to take any Module 1 and therefore technically you have ridden before? Huh, I feel smart.

Schools, IME, don't focus a lot of time on Module 1 unless someone really needs it because you've done it on your CBT and it only lasts around 20 minutes even if you fail it. So, in summary, even if you are booking DAS / training for Module 1, or you think so, you'll spend most of the time riding around in prep for Module 2 because riding around for hours is far more fun than going in circles all day.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just ask all the questions you have, On this bike forum we might even have the odd instructor registered who may even be able to give you the answers you seek.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 Question (training) Reply with quote

The technically correct answer is that I had a CBT's worth of training between "never ridden" and passing module 1 first try.

But I don't think that's particularly helpful to you, because I'm not you, it misses out the year of tooling around on a 125, and that you can't get a full license by using your own 125 any more.

I must hereby channel Tef: stop THINGKING, start RIDEING. Go and do your CBT, see how you get on. Then take it from there.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends entirely on how much you "get" it. Everyone is different. Some people take a few hours, some only pass after a few tries and fluke it.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Follow up question.... Reply with quote

Go on then.....

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:15 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long it takes depends on the rider's ability. I went for cbt, did about 8 hours worth of training over 7 days, Mod 1 (pass), 12 hours over 10 days then mod 2 (pass).

I am guessing that if this is genuine and not a survey as suggested, the questions would be on the tight manoeuvres like U turn?

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:34 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my CBT, got a learner bike then practiced a few hours by myself in empty parking lots. Also watched all the videos on youtube.

I wish they would get rid of the swerve though.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:00 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Well I got my CBT, got a learner bike then practiced a few hours by myself in empty parking lots. Also watched all the videos on youtube.

I wish they would get rid of the swerve though.

i found the swerve the easiest bit... failed on other stuff 4 times but passed the swerve first time every time :p

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:15 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which average are you wanting to find out? Wink

Mod 1 is a glorified CBT wobbling around cones in a carpark doing pointless maneuvers that you'll not use once you've passed the test.

You need practise rather than training,you don't need to be paying for some instructor to stand around watching you.

How you get on when doing your CBT should give you a pretty good idea of how much practice you'll need.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:32 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, everyone takes to it differently, so its very personal.
Many bike schools will offer a free 30min assessment (obviously with the aim to then get you to sign up for paid training), but its a way for them to gauge how much training you'll need.

Personally, my dad let me loose at 16 on a 50cc kawasaki on a private road.
I went round a corner and promptly dropped it trying to U turn, picked it up and never told dad... Always wondered if he knew I had dropped it..
Another half hour of up and down, then did my CBT.

Rode on CBTs for about 6 years.
Stopped riding for about 3 years.
At 25 did CBT > 1/2 day training > Mod 1 > 1 day training > Mod 2 through a local school.

So from never ridden to passed Mod 1... about 9 years Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:10 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 17 Jul 2015, zippflames wrote:
Cheers my man will give [instructor Dave Hart] a call over the weekend

Can someone give Dave a nudge and tell him that he's left his phone off the hook.

For 18 months.

zippoflames
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys no net at work so couldn't reply,
Well I have done a couple of "days" training so far and still feel nowhere near ready for doing mod one and I am not sure if it is me being a fanny or if it is meant to take a few days training that's all.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few components of mod 1, which are you concerned with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zippoflames
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:50 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
On 17 Jul 2015, zippflames wrote:
Cheers my man will give [instructor Dave Hart] a call over the weekend

Can someone give Dave a nudge and tell him that he's left his phone off the hook.

For 18 months.

Ha believe it or not that is who I tried to ring but I think someone else bought the business but it was 18 months or so ago..But work turned to shit so only just got back in to a position where I can spend money on myself without worrying about it again

Last edited by zippoflames on 18:54 - 06 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

zippoflames
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:52 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
There are a few components of mod 1, which are you concerned with?

Not any single thing I can say oh that was tricky, It is more the whole very slow control is hit or miss still even after a couple of days of training.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1