Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First solo ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:17 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: First solo ride Reply with quote

YES!

Last night, got the 125 insured and taxed, then skipped out the house and started my epic journey around Notts Smile I know it might sound silly, but even tho its a 125 (don't have the spare cash for my DA etc) It had me smiling like a plonker.

I must also have looked a plonker too as im 6'7'' Smile my YBR125 is surprisingly comfy.

So, yes, I came home from my first solo spin full of beans and excitement. unfortunately im off on holls tomorrow so will have to wait till I get back to go out again... bah!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike's a bike, you can have plenty of laughs on a 125.

Don't worry about how you look, people will just think you're a normal human on an MSX125. Wink

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:53 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun and ride safe!

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first solo ride in Nottingham. Mine wasn't as fun.
Me, the wife and the kids drove to Nottingham nice and early, went to Cookie Shake near the Victoria Centre and then trundled off to Arnold to view the bike. So far so good.

The bike was a bit of a junker, and if I knew what I know now (which isn't much) I wouldn't have gone near it. A Piaggio MP3 125. Anyway, blinded by the thought of owning my own bike, we went to the bank, got the money and made the deal.

The idea was that we meet up in Grantham's Asda on the way back to Peterborough. My wife set off in the car.
I begin to ride off with only two hours CBT under my belt.

I get about half way to town and realise that I haven't insured the bike. Idiot mistake. So I pull off and try to ring the insurance company, but my wife has my wallet and card in the car. And she's too busy getting lost in Nottingham to pick up. And it begins chucking it down.

I found a bus stop and was sat in it, soaking wet. And for two very long hours, we tried to navigate my wife to where I was. She's shit with navigation, so I was using Google Maps, telling her where to go, then waiting for her phonecall when she reached another landmark or street name.

Eventually she made it to roughly where I was. St-fucking-Anns! I've heard lots of stories about this place, so I wasn't keen on hanging about. I decide to go meet up with her - uninsured - as it wasn't too far away.
I find her parked on a dead end street with a steep hill. Bear in mind, I'm from Peterborough. We don't have hills here. I ride up the hill and attempt a U-turn, but with the hill and my absolutely dogshit riding, I topple the bike. And it's a behemoth of a bike to try and pick up. Scraped to buggery, I park it up and we sort out the insurance, over the phone, doing my best to remember details.

So, finally we're insured and ready to ride back home, extremely frustrated at this point.

I get a short while away and I must have taken a wrong turning because I've no idea where I am again. So I pull over. She pulls over too, and tells me that my bike is pissing out oil all over the road.

At this point I've given up. It was a stupid idea. I call the AA and sign up for a new membership to get them to come out. So, we're there, waiting, with the kids getting pissed off in the back of the car, for Mr AA to arrive. Which he does and hour later.

After looking up and down the bike, he tells me he can't do anything because the bike isn't taxed. It's Sunday. Every post office is closed. I explained my best intentions, but his hands were tied. No tax, no fix. It's not a road worthy bike.
He gives me a number for a bike collection service and off he goes.

So we wait. Another two hours. My daughter's busting for a wee and there's nowhere local to go. Eventually we went in the worst Nisa supermarket I've ever had the misfortune of entering.

Mr Motorbike Collection Guy turns up, with a face like a slapped arse. He isn't interested. But it's £350 for a 90min drive. Easy money. So we load the bike in to his van. He doesn't want to do it himself. Then he realises that his paddock isn't suitable for a bike with two wheels at the front and we have to fart-arse around looking for a compromise.
Eventually, we got it secured (notice the amount of 'we' and not 'he') and away we go, wife and kids in tow in the car.

I got back to Peterborough at about 7pm. Completely lost track of time. Lost value on the already overpriced bike because of the drop, plus the cost of transportation too.

Worst-fucking-day-ever.

I'm sorry to regale you with such a horror story. I think I needed to get that off my chest.
My first ride was awful. I'm glad that you enjoyed yours. And hope you have many more in the future.

Tl;dr: I got lost in Nottingham and had a shit day.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has TEF hacked your account
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:30 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, first time out on a 125, makes you smile, makes you laugh. Nice one. Loads of fun. Like losing your virginity slightly awkward, wondering if wtf, grinning like the big man afterwards, never forgotten.

I remember reading about starting on a 125, and reading that anyone with experience would treat it like a toy and recommend a car, or a van, even better her parents bed but hey, the up shot was that you got the bike and even though she's bin round the block a bit, it's still some of the best unforgettable fun you'll ever have.. Well fuck knows where they had bin, but even though it's fun, twisting the throttle of a 600 through the powerband solo is something else Thumbs Up happy daze!

My first experience on a 125 was solo out of West Ham on the north circ (?) A13 to Essex, same as losing my virginity, wide eyed, trying to keep it in lane, to hyped to notice anything but for keeping blind panic under control!

Happy bike spotting on your hols too Mr. Green

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:05 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

Tl;dr: I got lost in Nottingham and had a shit day.

Sorry to hear of your experience. I remember how long it took me to even build the confidence to ride in busy times (weeks), never mind motorway. So that was ambitious to say the least, especially with only 2 hours of experience!

By the way you don't need the post office to tax vehicles anymore

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

So you could have taxed it there and then in front of the dickfoot AA driver. Some of these guys are really useless. Once the wife had been locked out of her car as the key wouldn't turn in the lock anymore so I sent her on her way and called the RAC to "break" in to the car. He asked the preliminary questions and I told him that she was the registered keeper who called up but had to pop away for a meeting. So he got on with it - which caused the alarm to go off, naturally. He then couldn't turn the alarm off as our FOB was broken (hence using the actual key, don't ask how the alarm got activated, even I don't know). The fat fuck then had no clue how to turn it off, nor did he know which fuse was the one for the alarm. He tried searching on his phone and then his little system and didn't know what to do. So his response? "It turns out your wife is registered with us, not the car, and she aint ere so we can't actually deal with this".... WHAT?! I was already frustrated and I made sure he knew about it, gave him a right earful and threatened to complain to RAC that he broke into the car knowing that he had no right to do so and just because he's shit at his job, has hit a brick wall, is now trying to wiggle out of it. Rest assured he got straight back on it and found the fuse in the end. Prick.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I went past confidence and well in to arrogance territory. I was soon humbled though!
This was a few years ago. When the tax followed the vehicle. But it didn't have any.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in Notts. There are some pleasant roads around here.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:27 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st 125 ride was more of the stress inducing nightmare variety. Stalled bike at traffic lights having just filled it up. Wouldn't start. Guy that sold it to me came out and fiddled with it for about 30 minutes. Finally bump started it and told me it just needed a good run to charge the batter (yeah right). Cue a terrifying 3 hour ride to work, with 2 more stalls and 2 more bump starts. After a week the problem was found to be a dud starter motor.

3 Months later, when the bike was working, I couldn't get enough of it. A 125 is plenty good enough for most biking, I even took mine on a 180 mile trip to a music festival - I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy not being able to feel your fingers or your ass (only took 1 tank of petrol though! Laughing)

125s get a lot of stick but there is much to recommend them.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:56 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: BACK! Reply with quote

AYUP!
Thanks for the replies, its been nice to come back to. I didn't like New York in the slightest. Id rather have gone to Skeg Vegas lol... tbh im going to try and get there on sat for a proper blast out Smile

sounds like you had a shitter in Nottingham. yes Arnold isn't too bad and St Annes isn't to either tbh... then again ive just stayed in the Bronx for 5 days so its been a bit of a 5p 10p situation at night.

I did read it all Smile

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it wasn't Hyson Green, eh. I nearly moved there once.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:48 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
At least it wasn't Hyson Green, eh. I nearly moved there once.

I used to work there with permanently excluded kids.... Kids that were not allowed into any school :/ really rewarding (I lie, they were little pricks )

I'm from Mansfield woodhouse originally... Of the bright lights of the city...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1