Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pants for Highway

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DiNet
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:16 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Pants for Highway Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm just buying my first ever bike, ninja 250sl, and of course a ton of gear...
Currently locked on to get the leather jacket (at least until summer comes), shuberth helmet, some alpinestars gloves and boots. What's missing is the pant choice...
While there are hours upon hours of reviews for pants, neither seem to talk about what happens at 130kph speeds to those fancy kevlar jeans... 5 days a week I'll travel on highway for at least 45 minutes.

I am all for to leave my skin where it is now, feels quite well on me. The leather pants seems like best option until I remember that I'll need to change into something comfortable in office (In toilet...), or if I'm going to movies...Israel summer is hot, like extremely hot... 40+ in shade is normal during August, so the leather pants won't be good at all during August/September.

So, the question is if it is viable to buy riding jeans with some knee protectors? What about butt, kinda love sitting on it too... Is aerostich viable for highway or other similar solution?

Last edited by DiNet on 21:31 - 29 Jan 2017; edited 1 time in total

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation (country) I think I'd go for the Kevlar jeans. All any kind of protective clothing really does is protect you from abrasion damage. Best way to avoid serious injury is not to crash/fall off.

In my experience Jewish drivers seem to be fairly sensible (I ride through Stamford Hill, London UK, more Hasidics than you can shake a Shtreimel at).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An off at 130kph (80mph for those listening in Imperial) is going to wear through kevlar jeans pretty quickly. On the other hand, if you come off in traffic then you're likely to end up under a truck or embedded in some road furniture before you go too far anyway.

It's a tough one. I prefer kevlar jeans for a mostly suburban/urban commute. For yours, I'd want leather, but you do have the heat problem - black leather does get toasty.

The third option is to wear kevlars, set off 10 minutes earlier, and ride a bit slower. A sustained (real) 130kph is optimistic for a 250SL. It'll do it, but not particularly comfortably.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather you will melt in 40+ heat and be needing a shower by the time you get to work, unless you want the entire office to be smelling your sweaty nutsack by lunchtime.

You could probably find some light textiles with plenty of vents that may fare better. Though if I lived in 40+ heat it would be kevlar jeans all the time.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try not falling off...

I've not looked at stats for a while but the impression I have from the drop thread we run on here is that most offs happen at speeds lower than you were concerned about.

It is a calculated risk though, all biking is.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:10 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer briefs personally, they have more support than boxers or Y-Fronts... This is of course a pun on the old Two nations divided by a common language problem.. however... whilst it may still be trendy in your part of the world to go to America to learn English... you don't.. you just d-o-n-t! What you are trying to talk about are 'trousers'. 'Pants' are underwear, or in the vernacular something that's not very good ...

On the 'Trouser' issue.... if you like your skin... the answer is DON'T CRASH!!!

Doesn't really matter what you wear, crashing hurts... and no amount of 'protective apparel' will stop that hurt.

Invert the logic on that one... if you don't crash.. you COULD get away with wearing nothing more than a par of 'pants', and not loose any skin... So your first line of defense isn't to try find a great pair of trousers.... it's to learn to ride properly, to look where you are going and try very hard not to ride into danger, and little tip... moderate the use of the right wrist some-what! BIGGEST cause of road-rash to new riders.... is NEW RIDERS! And accidents happen when confidence gets too far ahead of competence.

No Crash... No need Leathers.

If you crash, then it's going to hurt.... remember that, so do all you can not to, first, DON'T put your faith n a bit of cow-skin to save yours!

Leather? Has brilliant abrasion resistance, IF its good leather, and it's between your skin and road. A lot of leather garments are not 'bike' wear, they are fashion wear, and just look like bike wear, and a lot of it is not good cow-skin, but sheep or goat, or 'thinned' cow-hide; and it's often stitched quite weakly to make a garment from many small panels rather than a few big ones; as such the leather can be thin and or rather weak, and not offer all that much abrasion resistance, wearing through rather quickly, tearing or coming apart at the seams. Racers traditionally wore leathers for the abrasion resistance, but to get it, the suits were expensive. Best quality leather was used, for the thickness, yet o t remained flexible, in large panels, with few seams, which were double'ed over for strength. Even a lot of top name bike wear is made down to a price, using lesser quality hide or construction, and usually both, and at the budget end of the market, a lot is little more use than fashion wear, as far as abrasion resistance in a motorbike 'off'.

Meanwhile, racer's are pushing the limits, ad expect to crash.. in a controlled environment, where traffic may be fast, but only going one way, and when they come off, they are likely to slide a pretty long way, without hitting anythng, or anything hitting them, until they are sliding across the dirt or grass or into the gravel traps.

On the public road... see prior comments.. you shouldn't be riding with that much exuberance that you 'expect' to crash.. if you do, you are dong something wrong, and it's likely to become a self fulfilling prophesy... odds of coming off shouldn't be anywhere near so great... if you do? Well, its an uncontrolled environment; traffic comes from any and all directions, ad you don't often get given nicely made 'run off' to slide into. Rare on the road, we will slide very far, or very fast, before we hit something hard and unyielding, or something hits us, and abrasion resistance is the least of our worries....

Kevlar? Debate still rages as to whether it has or can have as much abrasion protection as cow-hide.. personally, I would say it probably has as much as most, certainly off the peg... but, issue is as said, something of a blind alley.. on the road, an off s far more likely to end badly with broken bones and impact trauma than it s gravel-rash, and whilst you can layer up with body armor it is ALL ultimately pot-luck whether it will save much f any hurt in an off...

Folk fall off motorbikes, in the scantest of gear, riding like complete idiots, and by 'fluke' don't slide far enough to loose much if any skin, and by even more fluke, manage to take the soft path off the tarmac that avoids trucks, busses, trees, lamp-posts or other hard and unyielding objects, and they get up ad walk away, rather perplexed at their shear dumb luck.... (and all too frequently, get another bike and have another go at it!)

Other's, wear all the gear, all the time, ride like a granny, never take any significant or unnecessary risks... then after parking up the bike, trip over a kurb stone and break their neck!

It IS so much in the lap of whichever deity(s) you abide by, which way the cookie crumbles.... And leathers are an awfully big chunk of false security that are likely to do lot more to make you FEEL safe than actually make you safe... and in consequence, boost confidence.. see prior comment vis confidence & competance.... and encourage you to be more exuberant and take more risks, and actually be LESS safe.... see other comments about NOT CRASHING!

So Kevlar and or other textiles, for what its worth, as far as road use goes, are probably good enough. And as with leathers, quality of material and construction will play far bigger part in their protective properties than the material...

BUT none of them will 'save your skin'..... you have to do that for yourself; NOT riding into trouble, expecting what you are wearing to keep you safe....

Lodge that nugget in your psyche, and material is immaterial.. No crash, it no matter! Crash? Well, its in the hands of! But sure as, it IS going to hurt, whatever you are wearing!

Protective apparel is the LAST line of defense. If you need it a heck of a lot has gone wrong, before hand; a lot of stuff you could probably have done something, if not a lot of things, better, to save being in the situation, quality of protective apparel is in question. And I that situation.. regardless of what you are wearing it IS going to hurt!

Gear is good... but its really the last thing you need worry about to stay safe.

Dress to ride, NOT to crash. Ride to live. And DON'T just stick your head in a fancy plastic hat, and think you have 'safety' covered... that's where it ends, not where it starts!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:02 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Biker Jeans.

in short they look ok when your off the bike walking around, and are comfy.
And in Israel cooler than Leather Smile

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 04 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a jacket with large mesh areas, if it was warm enough here to use the jacket for more than a few weeks of the year I'd get similar jeans. Otherwise I'd be looking at CE-rated kevlar from the likes of Draggin, which are availabe with knee and hip armour inserts. There's probably a fair degree of vented textiles on the market where you are. Investigate what others wear. Pretty much everything available here that isn't leather has some kind of waterproof membrane in it that makes it as hot as leather on a warm day.

6r4h4m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Another vote for Biker Jeans.

in short they look ok when your off the bike walking around

Not convinced about the 'look ok' part. The knee pads make you (well, me!) look like Quasimodo's cousin, and the cut is invariably loose / 1990's skater chic.

I've ditched Kevlar jeans in favour of my regular jeans, with Draggin' Kevlar long-johns underneath. Last summer that was mostly fine with super lightweight jeans (available from Uniqlo). But having said that, 30+°C was still uncomfortably hot, and I have no idea how useful the Kevlar is after a while of regular laundry.

Out of interest, what do you see riders wearing normally in Israel when it's hot?

fluxco
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about kevlar leggings? Then you can wear whatever you want over them.

like these ones:

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/bowtex-unisex-kevlar-long-johns-yellow.html?gclid=CIr36P7-gtICFW6x7QodCAMHBw

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/o/bowtex-yellow1-1000x1000.jpg

fluxco
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be wise to have a back protector for your jacket as well.

Some jackets have a zip on the bottom of the back, so you can zip it to your trousers so your jacket doesn't ride up if you have a spill.

You can get belts with zip attachments for non-bike trousers.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fair trade, where do I send my pants?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1