Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Energica Midnight Runner

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Energica Midnight Runner Reply with quote

Let's stay on the topic with something that actually exists...

A cooperation of Energica (Modena, Italy) and Apache Custom Motorcycles (Verona, Italy) resulted in this very early 80's looking thing. The base of this build is the Energica Eva (e-motorcycle).

170 Nm, 200km range (in eco mode). Now for the interesting bit, it's got a onboard fast charger = 85% battery charge in 30 minutes.

Now that's not bad. I mean, 30 minutes to get enough power to cover 170 km sounds good to me. I even like the Dunstall Norton mixed with CBX 750 look.

Promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU1QoQzpuU

Source (Not in English): https://www.motorkari.cz/clanky/moto-novinky/energica/energica-midnight-runner-osklivka-eva-35913.html

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner8.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner1.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner6.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner2.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-01/35913/apache_custom_x_energica_midnight_runner9.jpg

The Energica Eva, for reference:
https://www.energicamotor.com/images/pages/energica-eva.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 28 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top one is truly horrific, ugliest thing ever (Suzuki Katana previously held that title for me). What in the name of fuck is going on with those lights?

I'm interested in how you power this fast charger. 3KW from the wall typically doesn't cut the mustard. Tesla's Superchargers do hundreds of amps at double the UK mains voltage.I know this pack won't be that big, but it would have to make the range claims pure fantasy to charge that quickly from a wall.

I'll take the second one. That's nice-ish.

EDIT:- At £28,000, I'm not interested. I'll take a Rocket3, Duke 1290 and something else fun with the change.

Fuck. That.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:29 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hideous, they know it, we know it. They only cobbled it together for some publicity. Their regular bikes look like regular bikes, and if they were 1/4 of the price they might be on to something.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 minutes to fill up. Still rubbish let alone with a stupid price tag.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:08 - 29 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also the usual whopper spun by electrowizards.

11.7 kWh * 85% * half an hour = 20 kW, near as makes no difference. That's a 240V @ 83A circuit, so first you'll need to pay to have your house re-wired, and then it'll burn down.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:18 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there were fast charging points dotted about. Looks... err... hideous.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italians are known for beautiful design and awful wiring.

If that is the extent of the design, I'm genuinely surprised they managed to get a photo of it on the road before it burst into flames. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought there were fast charging points dotted about.

There are, but 30 minutes is still too long to hang around waiting which means that in practice they'll likely be abandoned there all day.

Evidence: the ones in Glasgow Toon where the corrvpt scvm who can afford e-mobiles use them as free all day parking. They're supposed to only be used when the vehicle is actually charging, but I've yet to see a ticket appear on the usual suspects.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
What in the name of fuck is going on with those lights?
My guess is that after they did some 'testing' to provide a range estimate they then screwed on a couple of lights to give the impression that it's something remotely close to a road legal bike. Add headlights, indicators, number plate and your drag factor goes up, range goes down.

... that or it wasn't quite ugly enough without them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight runner? Yep. No chance I'd be seen in daylight on that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the eye bleach. Besides, on what planet is an almost silent electric motorbike a good idea. LPSL Laughing
Many traffic hopping pedestrians will be slain by silent bikes filtering, they walk out in front of noisy ones FFS.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I thought there were fast charging points dotted about.

There are, but 30 minutes is still too long to hang around waiting which means that in practice they'll likely be abandoned there all day.

Evidence: the ones in Glasgow Toon where the corrvpt scvm who can afford e-mobiles use them as free all day parking. They're supposed to only be used when the vehicle is actually charging, but I've yet to see a ticket appear on the usual suspects.

On a longer journey you might be willing to wait at a motorway services for 30mins, my dads house's 150 miles away so I'd have to stop somewhere.

I also believe fast charging kills battery life, so you wouldn't want to do it regularly.

grr666 wrote:
Pass the eye bleach. Besides, on what planet is an almost silent electric motorbike a good idea. LPSL Laughing
Many traffic hopping pedestrians will be slain by silent bikes filtering, they walk out in front of noisy ones FFS.

That was the problem with the electric vans we had at work. Surely they could add a loudspeaker with a synthesised sound? You could have a choice of engine notes depending on how annoying you wanted to be, 2-stroke ped boi, V8 muscle car etc.

This is the only man made object I've laid eyes upon and thought hmm I could do better Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have an electric motorbike if they were cheap and reliable and well backed up with support.

The two categories that appeal are a scooter/commuter 50mile range ridden as fast as itll go worst case scenario, and a 60-70mph top speed.

Or a 120mph superbike with fireblade accelerative performance and a solid 100mile range maybe more with gentle cruising etc. All for 10k and with say 1000charge/discharge cycles guaranteed for the battery pack. Until we are at this price point and range under the worst provocation then I'm out.

A silent bike doesn't bother me, I've seen, ridden and heard enough howling in line 4's to say been there done that, what's next?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:33 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd have an electric motorbike if they were cheap and reliable and well backed up with support.

Then buy a Yamaha PES1 / PED1, which went into production in 2014 2015 2016 we'll-get-back-to-you. Whistle

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were going for a late '60's early '70's look, but the designer decided to go on a major acid, coke and hookers binge half way through, and the blind teaboy on work experience had to bodge the design together at the end before corporate had a look at it. Call it 'Art' or 'Designer', and some pretentious twat'll buy it.

It's all I've got for the lights, because by fuck, anyone with a functioning pair of eyes wouldn't have done that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:45 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Then buy a Yamaha PES1 / PED1, which went into production in 2014 2015 2016 we'll-get-back-to-you. Whistle

Sort of want, although do those claimed weights sound a tad optimistic for an electric bike (100kg/85kg)?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:05 - 31 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ongoing non-appearance of the those bikes is my litmus test that electric isn't ready for the mass market. When a non-subsidised, non loss-leader, 50+ mile range, 50+mph bike with a credible warranty appears in the £5000 - £7000 range, I'll sit up and take notice.

Codezombie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
170 Nm, 200km range (in eco mode). Now for the interesting bit, it's got a onboard fast charger = 85% battery charge in 30 minutes.

Its got an 11kWh battery, trust me, at 50-60mph it's good for about 80 miles tops. Electric bikes are still short ranged machines, to be equivalent to a ICE bike, they'll need around 25-30kWh batteries.

The rest of the Energica is actually pretty decent (should be at the price) and the motor in the Eva is a downrated Ego motor which is about 195Nm.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called "Midnight runner" because that's the time you have to ride it to avoid everyone vomiting all over you and the bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1