Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

Subject says it all. I plan on putting in plenty of long weekends away this year around the UK, and would like to plan some routes in advance while the weather's still shite. Having read lots of recommendations here and elsewhere of really decent biker routes, I figure a great way of planning would be to have a really big, laminated map that I could stick on the wall and scribble on to my heart's content with lots of routes, then joining the dots, and finally transferring to Google Maps or my SatNav.

Sounds a bit... nerdy I know, but anyone done this and found a suitable map? There are a few on Amazon etc as big as A0 (1.2m tall) - would ideally like something bigger, ie with more detail.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Subject says it all. I plan on putting in plenty of long weekends away this year around the UK, and would like to plan some routes in advance while the weather's still shite. Having read lots of recommendations here and elsewhere of really decent biker routes, I figure a great way of planning would be to have a really big, laminated map that I could stick on the wall and scribble on to my heart's content with lots of routes, then joining the dots, and finally transferring to Google Maps or my SatNav.

Sounds a bit... nerdy I know, but anyone done this and found a suitable map? There are a few on Amazon etc as big as A0 (1.2m tall) - would ideally like something bigger, ie with more detail.

You probably have a good reason, but why not use Google maps? You can save all the routes, email them if you want to multiple devices for redundancy. Offline maps means you don't need Data or even a SIM card. Android phones/tablets are cheap now. The turn-by-turn is surprisingly good to be fair to it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:38 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasonably accurate navigtation, the OS 1:250,000 "green" road-series maps are about as large a scale as I'd want to use.

There are 8 in total and they show EVERY road in the UK. You'd probably be looking at wallpapering a reasonably large wall to get them all on and they don't wipe clean.

I have a michelin map of the UK It's adequate but not perfect. You'd need two because it's double sided.. at 1, 000,000:1 the scale is a tad small. They do a "high resistance" one that's made of tough paper.

Go old school. Write in pencil. Rub it out when finished.

The 1:400,000 michelin mini-map of Scotland is perfect, very comprehensive and fits in a pocket. Looks like it's been re-released since my old, battered one was printed, just off to buy one!

Last edited by stinkwheel on 01:45 - 03 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
why not use Google maps?

Just doesn't cut it for what I want to do. I've certainly used it a lot for planning local ride-outs, and it's OK if you want to plot a specific route from A to B to C to D etc, but if you want to browse a whole large area, and mark locations and specific sections of routes on it it doesn't really work.

Now maybe if I had a computer monitor 6 feet high... Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the OS Landranger and Explorer maps. 'Active' is OS's name for weatherproof. You won't get a single large one, but hey are detailed enough for walkers, the two do not go hand-in-hand. You can mark the weatherproof maps with a chinagraph/wax/grease pencil, I haven't tried drywipe myself.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to an educational suppliers, look for the largest map of the UK they do, go and get it laminated at a local print shop (anyone that prints building plans should be able to do it).

edit-Blimey, they make dry wipe ones already, no roads though.
https://www.educationsupplies.co.uk/curriculum-resources/geography/globes-maps-and-atlases/drywipe-map-british-isles-1

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:44 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here
https://www.mapsman.com/

I haven't had time to search the site but there may be something to suit you there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Look at the OS Landranger and Explorer maps. 'Active' is OS's name for weatherproof. You won't get a single large one, but hey are detailed enough for walkers, the two do not go hand-in-hand.

You would need 204 of the larger scale landranger maps to cover the whole of the uk.

Roughly 130 square metres. So half the area of a doubles tennis court.

Makes long distance route planning pretty tricky.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Just doesn't cut it for what I want to do. I've certainly used it a lot for planning local ride-outs, and it's OK if you want to plot a specific route from A to B to C to D etc, but if you want to browse a whole large area, and mark locations and specific sections of routes on it it doesn't really work.

Now maybe if I had a computer monitor 6 feet high... Smile

or you could try zooming in and out Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Seems to me that what I want isn't actually out there; and the answer is to get several to cover the most interesting bits. The Landranger and Explorer OS maps are too high scale for what I need here, but since Wales is undoubtedly going to feature highly, this one looks like a good starting point!:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/maps/roadmap-6-wales.html

vice wrote:
[or you could try zooming in and out Thumbs Up

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Brick Wall
Must be at least, what - 10? roads visible for me to choose from...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:55 - 03 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: I want a huge, dry-wipe map of the UK Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
, but since Wales is undoubtedly going to feature highly, this one looks like a good starting point!:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/maps/roadmap-6-wales.html

Yes, excellent maps. They're the ones I use for route planning. Just enough topographical detail on them to plan a scenic route too.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You would need 204 of the larger scale landranger maps to cover the whole of the uk.

Roughly 130 square metres. So half the area of a doubles tennis court.

Makes long distance route planning pretty tricky.

I have ones for specific areas. There's a lot of the UK I don't want to be exploring, I'm just going to or from somewhere. Works for me, may not for everyone else.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be useful for you but I have a large scale wall map of London based on A to Z maps (approx 1m x 1.5m) that was about 8 quid from Stanfords (massive map shop in Covent Garden/London). I find the layout far better than google maps, it's stylised (main roads are exaggerated in size relative to minor, etc).

They do laminated ones and also custom map printing for stuff like estate agents (think it started at 50 quid for the custom stuff). Fairly sure they could do something for you, just a matter of budget, way too rich for my bones. Laughing

No idea if there are similar places across the country, it's an absolute treasure trove over three floors.

I find it useful as a sort of mental map of where things are in relation to each other, useful to be able to see the whole thing at once.

Last edited by Derivative on 01:48 - 10 Feb 2017; edited 2 times in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for Tef to step in and call us all useless for not using 10m square Ordnance survey folding paper maps, for making that journey to our mates new home across town.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:07 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate ran a plant hire shop and he had the inside of the M25 in A-Z map form on the wall of his stores warehouse.
It took up about 12ft square.

https://www.dartmouthpartners.com/assets/boat.png

You're gonna need a bigger wall.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1