Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is RAC EU breakdown cover with Bennetts worth the money?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:14 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Is RAC EU breakdown cover with Bennetts worth the money? Reply with quote

Before I go to France next month I just wanted to check if the people on here have had any experience using their RAC EU breakdown cover included with their Bennetts policy?

My bike is a '98 Honda VFR, will the age of the bike be a problem do you think?

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:52 - 06 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Bennetts all singing all dancing policy but have not had to use the breakdown service at home or abroad. So I will also be interested in the replies, I am off to France at the end of April with a group of six of us.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 07 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer re: EU. But I went bang a few weeks ago and dialled into Bennetts to claim on RAC recovery.

It was very quick and efficient......except that the RAC initially gave a recovery time of 3 hours. Not ideal when stuck at side of dual carriageway in the sheeting rain.

Also, the RAC sub out, so I didn't get recovered by RAC but Honest John's recovery. Who were excellent and got there within 45 minutes.

Ultimately it was all just one quick phone call, and resulted in a very quick recovery. Well worth it!

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:51 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly advise against using the RAC. The RAC is a big name but it has next to no fleet nor a team of mobile bike mechanics to make it worthwhile. The RAC has been silently consigned to the past and is now just a name being milked by a multinational arms and oil conglomerate. It doesn't really have much apart from a call centre.

When it comes to bikes, all they can do with roadside repair are the most basic things: battery charge and maybe temporary tyre repair (plug and CO2). If their mechanic can't fix it, or if it's decided over the phone that they couldn't fix it, then they give you the option of having the bike recovered to an address of your choice or to a nearby garage. In the latter case, they ask you to find one and tell them! Then it's down to you to call around find out where the closest bike garage is, whether it's open, whether they'll receive you, etc. How does the RAC recover your vehicle? Simple. It makes a phone call. There's an operator at the other end of the line, with a PC. He enters details of your location on a website, and he gets a set of quotes. He chooses one (just one, because they don't want to waste time finding the best deal for their customer) to give to you. Then the flatbed recovery truck, run and owned by a subcontractor - often just a man with a van/truck - is sent your way.

I've been left waiting for hours by the 'RAC'. I've also been given the runaround by their depressed and miserable call handlers. In retrospect, I should have never taken out RAC cover.

Do you have a smartphone and a toolkit including a set of tyre plugs and CO2 canisters? You can outperform the RAC easily, on time and price, using these two things. Plug your own tyre to hobble to the next garage. Search online for your man-with-a-van and get more quotes than just one.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Europe I use ADAC cover. It's German, and you'll need to phone them up. €109 cover for myself and the wife in any vehicle and travel insurance cover across Europe for myself, wife and child.
Full recovery (except in UK where they only take you to the nearest garage), but they will recover you from mainland Europe back to the UK.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest issue i came across when looking for breakdown cover abroad was the 'no bikes older than 16 years' rule.

where the hell did they pluck 16 years old from?

that said, i have brittannia rescue through my nationwide account as recommended by MattB and others. no age limit of vehicle, and a load of other benefits too Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:55 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:

I tried using that argument in court years ago. It didn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
groovylee wrote:

I tried using that argument in court years ago. It didn't work.

How old was she?

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:45 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
How old was she?

Mr. Green

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth checking into, I'm not sure if ADAC have an age restriction.
From some of the threads on pistonheads that I found when researching ADAC, they'd had no problem with classic vehicles being recovered.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1