Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keeping Bike Nice and Clean

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
But it was only 5mph? That's like wheeling the bike at walking pace- Would wheeling it walking pace damage also-Is getting it to a garage via van the only way then?

Take the wheel out and just take that.

As for pumps I've got this one and its worked so far. Can't vouch for a product I've no used. I just went with one that had good reviews amongst the rest and it's worked out fine thus far. Do your pressures every day before you ride and you'll only need a couple of pumps at most.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:55 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Keeping Bike Nice and Clean Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
NJD wrote:

But it was only 5mph? That's like wheeling the bike at walking pace- Would wheeling it walking pace damage also-Is getting it to a garage via van the only way then?

The walls of the tire inside will now be fucked, it'll need replacing rather than plugging.

The weight just as much as the speed will damage the rubber.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't chance it. But it's your bike to chuck down the road, judging by how fond of it you say you are,
is it worth saving a 100 quid or so? I have perfectly decent condition tyres on my scooter, but el crappo brand.
Could have run it for many miles on what was on there but after a low speed incident in the wet where it fishtailed
round a corner, it occurred to me that if my wife had been riding at the time she would have crashed it. So I
bought some Michelins for it last week which I'll have fitted in spring when it comes out of the shed just for
my own peace of mind. Sod the expense.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed indeed.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:13 - 01 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot you can do about it, at this time of year with all the wet and road salt, hence the term 'winter hack'.

Just clean/lube chain every week or 2 and it it will be as ok as it can be really.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 09 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94-PC-1-4-1-2-SOCKET-SET-RATCHET-DRIVER-KIT-SCREWDRIVER-BIT-TOOL-WITH-CASE-/291749185182?hash=item43ed9b469e:g:lKMAAOSwiDFYMnC8

This set is a fantastic alternative to the halfords set, and doesnt have any imperial tools in it! Very Happy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
I just rated this helpful- do you get a notification when this happens?

Not that you're asking me, but no the person doesn't.

Either seen via the users profile page or by re-visiting the thread, not that there's enough time in the day to do that.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:24 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a water or power supply near enough to my garage, so i use one of these now and then.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8L-WATER-PRESSURE-SPRAYER-MANUAL-GARDEN-SPRAY-KNAPSACK-KILL-WEEDS-CHEMICALS-/142154340161?hash=item21190f1741:g:2vcAAOSwbYZXbGbA

Not a lot of pressure but with a long nozzle it reaches into areas, handy for just washing off any salt or crap after a ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94-PC-1-4-1-2-SOCKET-SET-RATCHET-DRIVER-KIT-SCREWDRIVER-BIT-TOOL-WITH-CASE-/291749185182?hash=item43ed9b469e:g:lKMAAOSwiDFYMnC8

This set is a fantastic alternative to the halfords set, and doesnt have any imperial tools in it! Very Happy

I just rated this helpful- do you get a notification when this happens?

Thanks Arcane, I just saw this. For what it's worth, I have been using the same socket set for the past 8 years, for pretty much everything I have done on both cars and bikes. This has included engine changes on 125s, valve clearances, oil changes, stripping the 9R, and various other jobs.

I'd go as far as saying that the sockets are better than the halfords set, as they're all 6 point, rather than 12 point sockets, so less likely to round out the sockets. Also, having deep sockets has proven more versatile than the britool set my friend had.

You'll likely find others on here who have used the same set for just as long, as they were sold at lidl for around 35 pounds in 2007 or 2008.

You'll probably want a 1/2" drive breaker bar too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2