125cc Motorbikes (Questions)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

op

doing a cbt and wobbling around without a licence isn't a good idea as you pick up bad habits

I know I did the same

if you go straight for A2 you can still ride a 125 but without the L plates
you don't have to buy a bigger bike

as someone else said the bikes you are looking at will probably be expensive to insure because of what they are

look at a 1500 quid ybr or similar if you want to spend a bit more there is a three year old one just popped up in a local dealers to me for 1500 so could have it for 1300 possibly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a sporty 125. They're just 125s with sporty dresses. Underneath they are still low performing 125s.

Forget about looks and if you are determined to get a 125 then buy a Honda CG125, CB125F or a Yamaha YBR125.

You say you are not ready for A2 but that is rubbish. The training you get during the A2 is all you need to pass the tests and you'll be safer having done that than you will be wobbling about having only done a CBT. Especially since you don't have a car license either.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:09 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:
but i don't really want to do a A2 because i am not really ready for it

You are really NOT listening are you?

CBT is NOT repeat NOT a qualified, competent rider make you. it is NOT a licence. It's a learner's permit.

IF you aren't ready to take tests, then sure as eggs you are't 'ready' to take to the roads trying to avoid the ruddy tests!

There is nothing about a 125cc lightweight, compared to any other bike of any other displacement, that will, by its engine displacement mean you are ANY less likely to get hurt on one!

('Sorry Mate I Didn't See You') SMIDSY car / van /lorry drivers, err. don't see you... so they sure as bludgery don't look, see an L-Plate and think, "Aw, cuteys lidduw tiddler! I wont try and kill him today.. I'll wait until he's on something bigger" like an angler, only after the big-fish!

But they are slower? Lol. Yeah.... THAT wont save you much skin, kid. You come off, IT HURT!!!!!! Don't matter how quick you were going before you got intimate with tarmac ad or road furniture! STILL hurts!

Meanwhile, 125's might not be all that fast.. BUT most of them are still quick enough to break most if not all UK speed limits... you can pretty much go as fast on one as any one on anything of any size legally can, or illegally go faster than any-one else on other bikes might.... in lower limit zones, where you are a) more likely to get caught, b) more likely to come a cropper in the process!

And if YOU are daft and or clueless enough... and so far you are offering more and more suggestion to support that suggestion, rather than allay it! It will be your daftness and cluelessness that will be introducing you to asphalt and curbstones at close quarter, not the size of hole with fire in it in your engine!

GET TRAINED!!! GET A LICENCE!!!!

So armed, and 'some' of your daft and clueless, hopefully, alleviated, you stand FAR better chance of being 'ready' to tackle daily commute, and survive real roads on an every day basis... whatever bke you choose to do it on.

Where you are at the moment, a 125, ISN'T a tool to save you money, and even less is it a tool to save you hurt... way you are going about it, its likely to cost you more of both.

If you REALLY have to have an Aprillia RS125... well, why not..... t's NOT Learner-Legal, as standard, you would have to do the tests to ride one legally anyway, and it is far from a 'cheap' bike, or reliable every day machne.. but hey, it's your money to waste.. and you CAN, as I do, still ride 125's on a full licence, you don't 'have' to do it on L-Plates.... And all your blathering trying to support why you think that dodging tests is a wonderful wheeze and a great thing for you to do, are, I am afraid to tell you a load of shift and bollox! THERE IS NO good reason NOT to take the tests, and very fact you try, significant reason why you should!

You want a good looking bike?

ANYTHING you DON'T have to hang an L-Plate off the back off!!!

A-N-D stands much better chance of keeping ts looks, AND yours, while you are about it?!

Stop winging and whining and trying to get us to endorse your daft decisions, and ask yourself WHY we are telling you they are DAFT!

GO get some lessons, GO get some LEARNING, GO GET A LICENCE!!! The.. worry about what bike you might want! AND you might not be so clueless as to be short changing yourself o how much bike you can have, or so daft as to just be an accident looking for some-where to happen!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Tef spews copious amounts of shite about licensing and how it was better back in 1583, he's right. Go get your "full" license.

You can ride far more bikes, that are more fun, and will cost you less to get the bike *and* your tests, than a 125 in a pretty dress, as L plate bikes carry a hell of a premium on both purchase price and insurance weighting.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:11 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds like old geezer ranting, but we really are trying to help you make the right decision.

The moment you ride a 500cc+ A2 bike, you'll find out why.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:17 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
As much as Tef spews copious amounts of shite about licensing and how it was better back in 1583, he's right. Go get your "full" license.

1583?! That would be middle reign of Lizzy One! Start or even before even Shakespeare's time that!

Oi!

I'm actually NOT quite as old as Methuselah.... my age has only in the last couple of months exceeded the cubic inches of my bike..... I just heard you should live fast and...

What was the rest?..... Die pretty, wasn't it?

Do you have t be pretty to begin with, or if you live fast enough for long enough, does it come with the practice? Wink
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
You can ride far more bikes, that are more fun, and will cost you less to get the bike *and* your tests, than a 125 in a pretty dress, as L plate bikes carry a hell of a premium on both purchase price and insurance weighting.

Can still ride the 125's if he likes..... I do.... remind me again, why I do that? Confused

They cost more to buy... even the damn heaps of scrap I buy for the 'added fun' of fixing them up, than I could get a working 'big-bike' for.

They cost more to insure... a LOT more to insure, than the 750, even the supposedly 'sensible' four-stroke ones, even with discount for their 'classic' status... by about 20-30%. Last supposedly 'more' sensible 'classic' two-strokey one, almost as old as me, was DOUBLE what the 750 costs to insure! Which isn't too many quids when circumstances mean I am paying two figure premiums.. rather more of a consideration for someone hoping to avoid them nudging into four figures a year, likely paying as much as I do a year, a month!

I don't get much if any better MPG from them... mostly as they egg me on to ride them with over-indulgent teen-age lunacy, the seven-fifty curiously doesn't engender, but even so.. notional 'savings' of a tiddler are just that notional; real-world, I rarely get anywhere as good as the book suggests from the 125's, and only the more sensible ones, have book figures that are better than the big bikes, which more often better their book numbers. The two-strokey ones, even by the book number's, they would be lucky to achieve, oft struggle to match more sensible commuter twins stats!

Maintenance? Hmmmm... well, here-in lies a tale, doesn't it? After a full ground up rebuild to drag them out of the dire maintenance over-draft a succession of know-nothing, care-less learner owners have usually left them in before I decide to give one some pity... they have usually cost me as much as a 3-year old YBR to get on the road... and, for all that upfront effort and expense, they don't demand such expensive tyres or chains or brake-pads, or demand them as often as the big-bikes, BUT, they still demand as much or probably more spanner time than a first MOT fresh YBR does, and certainly more little and often attention than the 750's! Even ERR bludy Guzzi, and that's Italian for crissiks!

Even I struggle to find ANY particularly good, let alone convincing reasons to eff-about with 125's!

Bottom line, in my case is that they on-bag, they offer ME a lot of fun for the money; big chunk of that in playing groan-up-mechano with them in the first place just to make them work!

After that, the "Wow! BludyeLL! It actually moves!" fun factor starts to wait quite rapidly. Still get occasional 'pangs', of "It's still running... why hasn't it stopped working.... y-e-t!" usually in the 'come-down' of teen-age antics, thrashing the pants of one.. and feeling a bit guilty about it.... often just as short-lived, when the notion "Well, I rebuilt it once.. I can do it again!" kicks in and I crack the taps for the giggles!

They 'can' be treated with a certain irreverence, in which there is some perverse fun to be found, that can be worth the relative 'pocket-money' they cost to get it.. after weeks of spending pocket money, each week, for months! on 'bits' as I build it! WHICH you don't get from big-bikes, that beg that much more 'respect' and 'serious'.

So, they can deliver grins bigger than their bills.. B-U-T you have to work for it.

They potentially can earn their keep for 'miser-miling', but again, you have to work for that as well, they wont do it as standard, and to get it, does mean shunnng the 'fun', you wont get cheap and thrills at the same time, very often, it's a case of either or, or how much of one you'll sacrifice for t'other and you'll get more of either or both from a bigger bike, that doesn't have the learner-loading on the price-ticket.

- Going it alone on L-'s isn't a particularly great recipe for finding economies, when that's the school of hard knocks, than them hard knocks usually come with a bill attached that spoils the accounting!

- Gong looking for thrills, on L-Plates, is a recipe for disaster... it's not exactly the smartest move on a full-licence, b-u-t without even the most basic check on competence, t IS that much more likely to end in blood and tears!

Either which way... the licence is the passport to 'more' of whatever you want....

And it's incredible the unsupervised L-Plate laws have (contrary to 2013 3rd Directive law!) remained, when ever other motorised road user HAS to pass proper tests before they are let loose on their own, and no-one would expect to jump into any other 'pursuit' from abseiling to zebra-bronco-breaking, with such scant 'basic' training as CBT for motorcycles!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
...and no-one would expect to jump into any other 'pursuit' from abseiling to zebra-bronco-breaking, with such scant 'basic' training as CBT for motorcycles!

I'm a caver, we'll agree to disagree. I've seen some noobs on ropes that were "taught" in, yes really, 5 mins. Even with your disdain for a CBT, you have to admit it's far better than "Clutch, brake, throttle, brake, gears - Don't crash", which is pretty much what you get in caving.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something cheap to run and then mention an RS 125? Aprilia and cheap to run rarely go in the same sentence. If you're 100% not doing your A2 ( I would in a heartbeat if i was old enough ) then get a commuter style bike ( YBR, CBF etc ) since that's what the purpose of the bike is. There's nothing wrong with R-125's and they are noticeably quicker than the commuter style bikes but if you're on a tight budget they probably aren't the best thing to go for because of the higher insurance and initial costs. Chavs also love robbing R-125's.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:04 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I'm a caver,

Let me get this straight.....
1/ you go looking for holes in the ground to jump into .. like BEFORE your dead..... what? You want to save the grave digger's a job?
2/ when you find one, you get out a bit of string and try and hang yourself in the hole..... I mean, just incase they try burying you before you're dead.. you what, want to find as MANY ways to break your kneck as possible, to be sure you do the job proppa?!? and JUST incase that fails... try drown yourself in the water at the bottom?!?
3/ You do this for FUN?!?! Shocked
A~N~D.. you question MY sanity?!? Laughing Wink

I normally abide my old Gran's advice not to knock it until you've tried it.... BUT in the case of holes in the ground, I make an exception, Sorry!!!!

Quarter century ago, I spent a summer in Devon.... where caving? Err.. NO, that was ONE thing I was NOT convinced in youthful ignorance to have a go at!

Abseiling? Yeah...... I got chucked off a cliff somewhere on Exmoor on a bit of climbing rope..... that was too short..... WELL.. I say it was too short... it WASN'T too short when I was going down and my weight was stretching the ruddy thing..... It was when I went to get 'off'..... and I found myself dangling ten feet in the air with an unlocked carabina(?, yelling for help to chap at the top.. who was too amused to reply!

Diving.... Oh Kay.. I'll give it a go.... got taken to Bovisand, and whilst mate tried to get an old Land Rover* running to charge his tanks.. 'the boss' asked me a few pertinent questions, first... like "Can you swim?" to which I nodded, so he said "No!" picking up a diving mask... "In one of these?" And promptly stuck it on my head and tried drowning me in a tank! I came up spluttering, and gagging, suffering a full on panic attack...

I recounted the story about abseiling on a climbing rope...... and spent the afternoon cleaning a Landy carb, I recall!!!

*'Old Land Rover' Confused curiouse aside observation... do you think they were ever 'new'? Is there a field in Solihul, they 'age' them, like whisky, do you think, before they release them to the general population?

Howewever, after the abseiling and the diving, I WAS shown a hole in the ground, as my mate gleefully commented on the performance of a clean carb, and started unloading ropes.... "You're welcome to it!" I told him, and went to ponder how many holes were in the landies rear out riggers! These seemed a slightly less daunting proposition... even though it had spent most of its life up to it's arse dipping boat trailers in the brine!

WATER SKIING!!!!! Now, there were no boats in the vacinity when I was asked if I could ski.... to which I replied enthusiastically "err... yeah!" having chucked myself off the top of more than a few snow covered mountains on planks, in my youth in Canada... How was I to know that was NOT the kind of skiing he meant?!? There WAS a mountain near when I was asked, and there WAS some snow at the top.. it was June... so I did think it a BIT strange.. but hey?!

Hanging onto a bit of string, dangled from the back of a speedboat, a pair of planks strapped to my feet... being yelled at as 3o mph water tried to rip my balls off, whilst trying to yell at the driver to "GO! FFS!" but only succeeding in gargling fishpee, whist the driver cupped his ear, wasn't the most pleasant predicament I have ever found myself in.....

It WAS however slightly less fretful than having a windsurfing 'lesson' in the Agean... in which I recall quite vividly LOTS of falling off a plank into what rapidly became not so beautiful waters, at close quarter... and then when I managed to get 'up' and moving, instructor yelling at me "Yup! thaz it! kip it ooop!".. I WAS, I also recall, trying to ask, "How do you STOP" at the time... but the wind had picked up & I think, had rushed out of hailing range, or he'd found some girls on the beach to try and impress in his speedo's..... but either way, I came ashore, about an hour and a half later on an incoming tide, a mile down the beach, and lost my bludy deposit on the bludy board for its 'late' return!!!

These are, or course just a few of the less wonderful highlights.. of the more audacious pursuits I have engaged in, (snow skiing, white-water rafting, canoeing, archery, and gawd knows what else... MOST on the whole had some sort of basic training, and usually it was pretty useful, and didn't leave anyone, least of all me, in such dire predicaments.

Motorcycle CBT..... is actually a pretty comprehensive 'first lesson' and giving the shpiel we had to vaunt it's success since introduction, where it HAS improved the stats quite a lot... BUT.. problem with it is its neither nor... as an intro it goes too far, and gives folk too much and the 'idea' its all they need to know... whilst not going far enough as a tested qualified rider make.. or even give them hint that even THAT is only start of the 'learning'.

But still... [shrug] ?

BastardiX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:48 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIVE ME SOME TIME TO READ THIS Very Happy

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:04 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot, you're a pot-head.. sorry HOLER.. soooo easy to get them confused... Wink

That IS actually another story derived of my childhood, in the hippy-era, when 'mother' decided to go to university.... she studied biology & eccology.. so most weekends I was being dragged about wild bits of more land, with folk that looked like Open-University TV rejects, with beards and pipes they NEVER seemed to fill with anything that came out of a 'clan' packet, and more than a few with roman sandals instead of walking boots.. in February, up on a dale in Yorkshire.....?!?!?!?

I recall, as a seven year old, being rather exited at being told we were, for once, going on a summer holiday to the sea-side, like 'normal' people did... to Witby...

I'm not saying that my mother is rather 'detached', BUT she wasn't indulging in cruel irony when she bought me a bucket and spade!!!! OR bought sun-cream! IN WITBY!!!???!!!???!!!

However.... turned out that one of her college pals had managed to get himself a research grant, and was counting cormerants or something on the cliff.... an activity he was most delighted about, as he claimed he was being PAID to dangle around cliffs on bits of string!?!?!

He was, allegedly, trying to determine what sea birds found attractive in a 'mate', in order to answer some bizarre anomaly of Darwinian principle, as to , specie evolved through inbreeding......

WHY he had to dangle off the shale in Witby to answer this, when ten minutes in a Grimsby chippy would have told him all he needed to know, even as a 7 year old was beyond me, and added to my confusion between pot-holers and pot-heads... a confusion, revealed in remark to my mother during that holiday, ISTR, in which she was rather perturbed, I might know what a pot-head was... and ultimately, trying to explain the difference... failed to find much of one! Laughing

But hey! At least, by age 9, I could roll a spliff with the giggles and take a gas fire apart to make toast on the firebricks to combat the munchies!!!

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:40 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cagiva mito when I was young and my insurance was around £2000 a year, Constant maintenance on a 2 stoke can be expensive, like others have said just do your test it will be cheaper, I had a 125 2 years ago and my insurance was around £500 , passed my test to fill A licence and now ride a 600 and my insurance is £97 a year fully comp so you mite try looking into doing your licence will be cheaper wasting £1000s on a 125 that are slow

The Yamaha would be cheaper to maintain due to it being a 4 stroke but aprillia will be faster, but wouldn't worry about fuel costs as most bikes are the same fuel wise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:46 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BastardiX wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/vA77O7B.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:31 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

meggark wrote:
There's no such thing as a sporty 125. They're just 125s with sporty dresses. Underneath they are still low performing 125s.

Not totally true...

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com/images/rs125_99.jpg

https://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201309/ktm-125-sx-10_800x0w.jpg

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
BastardiX wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/vA77O7B.jpg

Also it had fuck all to do with the original topic anyway

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
[

Not totally true...

Ok then I'll rephrase... No sporty learner legal 125s.

Tuned two strokes not included.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, take you A2 test. Why spend £2500 on a 125 when you could spend less than £1000 on a perfectly good restricted 600/650. Your tests will cost about £800, so you'll still be £700 better off.

Forget saying you aren't ready, that's BS. There's no reason why you can't do CBT, theory and DAS within a month. Lots of people do having no prior experience riding a bike.

Don't make excuses, get it done Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
There's no reason why you can't do CBT, theory and DAS within a month.

Don't make excuses, get it done Thumbs Up

Cut the guy some slack and be realistic; he's only 1/3rd of the way through Tef's first post.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2