Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


January 2017 new registration statistics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: January 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

Let's see what they're like after that huge steaming dump of pre-Eurobollocks bikes in December 2016.

http://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201701.pdf

Survey says... down 15% on last January. Oooh, thanks Brussels, nice one.

OK, a big chunk of that is the 26% drop in 125s, which will be the Euro3 / non-funky braked Chinese fake-aways being registered at the last minute - Lexmoto have dropped to an unusual 10th place, leaving Harley Davidson to bag 5th (really).

Interestingly, Honda registered 109 CB125Fs, which they must have either done under the 20% grandfather clause, or because DVLA has plum forgotten that Computer Says No.

Huh, they also scooped the 126-650 category with 43 CBR600RRs, another discontinued-due-to-bollocks bike. I smell shenanigans. Well done, if so. Clapping
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:30 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: January 2017 new registration statistics Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
OK, a big chunk of that is the 26% drop in 125s, which will be the Euro3 / non-funky braked Chinese fake-aways being registered at the last minute - Lexmoto have dropped to an unusual 10th place


Not surprised given the asking prices of their bikes. Sure everyone's going that way because Euro 4 but why would you go brand new overly priced 125 when you get get a license and big-un for less and have monies left over.
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I see they only appear to have two Bollocksbikes available, at ~2100 and ~2350 OTR apiece, with the difference being 250 worth of E-Z-snap plastics - I'd rather have the cheaper one with the crash bungs.

Once there's a a 2 at the start of the price, you do really need to ask yourself why you'd go with the off-brand Chinese bike rather than a Jap branded one. Even if the bikes are as good, you'll get slaughtered in resale.

Let's see how this pans out for Lexmoto, but if they don't manage to find something closer to the magic 1000 level then I can't see them maintaining their sales numbers.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Let's see how this pans out for Lexmoto, but if they don't manage to find something closer to the magic 1000 level then I can't see them maintaining their sales numbers.


I can't see them selling bikes at 1000 any time soon because in the increase, and there's been a few of them, of the old Euro 3 registered stock makes me think they're increasing profit now to cover shortfall in the long run until they figure out what to do. Although that being said, like you say, there's only two Euro 4 bikes at present so they haven't added their entire range and could still be bikes at lower prices. Can only work for so long mind given there's a limited number they managed to import and register before deadline (whenever that is/was).

My entire thinking is that there's no reason to go new anymore and buying an old Jap 125 would be alot cheaper and achieve the same goal. Seems like Euro 4 and enforcing the rules on tiddlers could probably kill lexmoto given it's the counter opposite to their entire existence thus far.

I say it's a dead end investment before even putting a penny down because, as you say, resale will be poor. Can see a lot floating around at silly prices not shifting.

Rather stick with old used Euro 3 bikes because they're still rideable, makes no sense to fork out extra monies because new rules.
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average person on a CBT that's not an ecomentalist won't give two fucks about something being Euro3 or Euro4.
____________________
North Wales, where even the commute is fun Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The average person on a CBT that's not an ecomentalist won't give two fucks about something being Euro3 or Euro4.


They will when all the new old Euro 3 stock is gone and they're asked, with no alternative, to pay 2k for a chinky 125 vs a used YBR/CBF.

My point overall being why would anyone pay 2k at all for a 125 given you can go on the second hand market for way less or license and big-un.
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"piece of mind" buying a new bike vs a several year old bike?
New biker thinking a 125 is all they'll ever need?
Being sucked in by the low rate finance deals when they can't afford to buy outright?
Or simply just genuinely being happy on a 125 (small city centre commute, not happy to handle the static weight of a bigger bike).

Similarly why do people buy new tiny off-brand cars (e.g. kia) or even mainstream ones when they could buy a decent sized good quality family or sporty car for far less on the second hand market?

Not saying it's right - I normally buy cars at about 3 years old, newest bike we've owned was 4 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They buy them because of:
Warranty on new vehicles,
Cheap finance or pcp deals. These often incorporating free first year or low cost manufacturers subsidised insurance rates.,
Lower insurance groups on some newer cars,
Also people buy cars like white goods and think a low up front cost or retail price is always an incredible bargain.
Then there those that worry about buying ex hire 3year old cars, or accident damaged and repaired ones.

Lastly the way the average non car enthusiast in 2017 looks after and treats their car's, who can blame people for wanting to spend their own money on a new car if they can afford it, and are planning on long term ownership.

And the people that buy cheap Dacia's etc, who aren't on a contract scheme and are paying with their own money, we'll generally they will keep the car a long time, and depreciate all the value out of it until it becomes cheap motoring long term and disposable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
The average person on a CBT that's not an ecomentalist won't give two fucks about something being Euro3 or Euro4.


They will when all the new old Euro 3 stock is gone and they're asked, with no alternative, to pay 2k for a chinky 125 vs a used YBR/CBF.

My point overall being why would anyone pay 2k at all for a 125 given you can go on the second hand market for way less or license and big-un.


I know a lady that told her son if he really was desperate to ride a bike she would rather buy a new (Chinese) than have him on a second had bike 'because it was new and therefore better/more reliable/safer' etc.

Being a car driver, all the arguments in the world wouldn't convince her otherwise because in reality you don't get any atrocious new cars. The Chinese haven't entered the car market like bikes so what is there with 4 wheels that is the equivalent of Chinese cheap bikes.

I really wonder if authorities are stricter on car standards than bikes.
____________________
Triumph Trophy Launch Edition

http://www.jdboatsafetyandservices.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to know is do they sell many Chinese bikes in Germany and what about in Japan?

A new Chinq that only has to last a rider 2years probably has a better chance of being reliable and safe than a 10year old Japanese bike that's had at least half that many owners.

If I were a parent of a kid that wanted a cheap first bike to try out being on the road on two wheels, then a cheap new Chinq bike would have some merit. If all they wanted was to go to college or work on it and I wasn't sure if they'd lose interest in bikes in a year.

I wouldn't want them spending their last few hundred quid on say a 15year old Aprilia or Cagiva that's all lashed up and bodged to hell, with the false logic that they think they are getting alot of good bike for the money.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A work colleague bought a new Sym Jet 4 (against my advice), that only lasted a few months. You might buy a crap second-hand Japanese bike (I certainly did), but you'll be able to get parts for it and make your money back.
____________________
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
A new Chinq that only has to last a rider 2years probably has a better chance of being reliable and safe than a 10year old Japanese bike that's had at least half that many owners.

Mine was absolutely fine for 3 years, although it was looked after.

The salient point is that it cost me 886 in inflation adjusted 2017 dollah, including delivery, registration and VED. That is 10 year old Japanese money.

But if you're buying today, then (once the pre-reg grandfathered bikes are gone and DVLA finally starts refusing registrations) you're looking at 2100 OTR for a Bollocks-compliant Chinese 125. That puts you within 500 of a new YBR or CB125F, and I guarantee you'll make that back in resale.

It's interesting that neither Honda nor Yamaha have revealed their budget commuter Bollocks Bikes yet. They're still listing the pre-Bollocks models. Actually Honda is still listing the CBF125 - I'm baffled as to why they switched to the CB125F for a year, knowing that it wasn't Bollocks compliant.

It is possible that they're just not going to bother with budget 125s at all? Thinking
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump-diddy-bump.

What you did there, I see it.

This all get the monies in the pockets of teenagers rustling.

You know I think I've seen a bike identical to this around before but can't quite get what model it's based on. Rolling Eyes

http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16729306_10154950410584788_327792650720834534_n.jpg?oh=8005d801d6c9d03c00e97e14bb3a4e9f&oe=593B50CE
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a 17yr old virgin I'd be all over that. Alas I am not 17 anymore Sad

Still a... Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that, some Euro4 Skyjet? I like the Speed Vents in the tail, +5mph easy.

So that's them got 4 bikes, of which 2 are essentially identical, and all are over 2K OTR. Best of luck, chaps.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What's that, some Euro4 Skyjet?

It's a Panigale (in the eyes of a 17yr old).
____________________
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange side reflectors are just killing the look of bikes these days Sad
____________________
KTM 990 SMT
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Still a... Very Happy


Ah but you're one up on the average virgin for you ride a bike so at least you've proved there's a couple of mango's to tingle downstairs.

Wheeey. Dance!

Rogerborg wrote:
What's that, some Euro4 Skyjet?


"Bare fast, looks well mint m8."

I would of said XTRS, the modern version thereof, but all the bloody same nonetheless. There are pictures people sitting on it here and looks tiny enough.

"Lexmoto Motorcycles & Scooters : the RRP will be 2249" Fill yer boots.
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
There are pictures people sitting on it here and looks tiny enough.

Doesn't help everyone of those is taken at a stupid angle.
____________________
Yamaha MT-03 (660)
Honda XR-125L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Doesn't help everyone of those is taken at a stupid angle.


Because artistic, yo.

Tis why I didn't post on here. Couldn't find a non slanted one to illustrate point.

Think should let under 16's ride since seems to suit them more than any adult.
____________________
The big ol' lump.
C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶.̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What's that, some Euro4 Skyjet?

I would of said XTRS

Same thing, see also Kaisar KS125.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked ok from a distance, but as with most Chinese things get up close and the details and lack of design flair and poor specced componentry let it down.

It might look like a 125 Panigale from 50m away, but it's no looker closer up. I'd still rather have a Mito, RS125, or TZR125R and the unpopular RS4 125 looks a far nicer bike too!

Roger makes a good point about Euro4 and the drastic less attractive pricing of compliant 125's going forwards. If a new Chinq 125 is going to be at least 2k and a fancy fully faired one closer to say 2.8k, then as a 17yr year old stuck on them for two years you might as well spend another grand or just over for a Japanese bike.

I've started thinking that a bike like a Yamaha WR125R/X should be great value and because of the above hold a good resale price if looked after really well. To make them seem even better value, I've recently found out that you can spend 7000 on a very specialist Italian 125 if you really wanted to, so a 4k Yamaha seems reasonable in comparison?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:07 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
A new Chinq that only has to last a rider 2years probably has a better chance of being reliable and safe than a 10year old Japanese bike that's had at least half that many owners.

Mine was absolutely fine for 3 years, although it was looked after.

The salient point is that it cost me 886 in inflation adjusted 2017 dollah, including delivery, registration and VED. That is 10 year old Japanese money.

But if you're buying today, then (once the pre-reg grandfathered bikes are gone and DVLA finally starts refusing registrations) you're looking at 2100 OTR for a Bollocks-compliant Chinese 125. That puts you within 500 of a new YBR or CB125F, and I guarantee you'll make that back in resale.

It's interesting that neither Honda nor Yamaha have revealed their budget commuter Bollocks Bikes yet. They're still listing the pre-Bollocks models. Actually Honda is still listing the CBF125 - I'm baffled as to why they switched to the CB125F for a year, knowing that it wasn't Bollocks compliant.

It is possible that they're just not going to bother with budget 125s at all? Thinking


Msx is available with all euro4 crap for over 3 grand
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Msx is available with all euro4 crap for over 3 grand

3300. Shocked

Huh, that's interesting. The spec says ABS on the front, but not on the rear. Pictures still don't show an ABS ring on either, so I don't know if that's just an omission in the spec, or if they've being a bit clever by saying "diktat only diktates that ABS is required on the bike, not on both wheels".
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As funky and interestingly different in today's must stand out world as the MSX is, can it really be worth 3300??

In that it's a smaller than full sized bike, not massively high specced in Ohlins and Brembo etc, and its derived from an engine design going back nearly 50years with a four speed gearbox. In that respect a 2000 Chinese 125 with fake CBR styling looks a Billy bargain in comparison?

I suppose if every full sized, full 15bhp Japanese 125 is over 4k, then yes Honda will sell a few MSX's if they are a grand cheaper, but it's not the best way to rely on sales IMO as much as innovation and technology instead. Its still a novelty bike IMO bought as much for fun. Dinky proportions and looking cool on, and as such it's far from the best slog it to work and back all year 125 that will run on pennies and offer best value.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 1.48 Sec - Server Load: 1.88 - MySQL Queries: 17 - CDN Objects: 50 - Page Size: 144.67 Kb