https://s10.postimg.org/uypwxssvt/IMG_5282.jpg

* not with this lot involved Wink

Last edited by owl on 10:31 - 17 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stuff stuff stuff...

Commuting in London though, urgh. What m'lurned colleague is referring to is this sort of daily commute (warning: vlogger). Is that really something that you'd relish doing day after day?

Am I just weird for thinking that looks like a lot of fun?

I'm out in cambs, rural, little to nothing but long boring single lines of traffic.

On the very rare occasion the duel cartridge way I hop on slows down (almost garenteed to happen in the car though Sad ) and I get a chance to 'play' in the slow moving traffic (to old/sensible/old for doing that at 60 anymore), nipping and zipping around/through etc.

Love it, like abso-fucken-loot-christmas! Laughing

I can see why big singles are popular in London, perfect for that kind of thing Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:

Yes.

Next!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:11 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please ignore Tef's unnecessarily hectoring - if you tell yourself that he means well, it's... a comforting fiction.

skatefreak wrote:

Once, maybe. Day after day, when you're knackered and dying of the Man Flu and just want to get there or back again, I think it would pale quickly.

biker_boy wrote:
But if I've got zero experience on a bike and go to take my CBT, I guess it would depend how quick I get the hang of the gears and clutch control as well as actually being on a bike?

Should I expect a resit?

Yes, actually. DVSA are trying to get away from the idea that the CBT is a one-day-wonder course. There's a lot to take in and it's mentally and physically draining, especially if you're not in the first flush of Yoof.

Ask about prices for further days. I felt that I really benefited from going back and doing the road-ride on a 2nd day. It didn't cost me any more, but that's entirely up to you and the training school to haggle out.

Be aware that the maximum ratio of trainees to instructors is 4:1 offroad, but only 2:1 on the road ride. So if you turn up and there's 10 of you to 3 instructors, they have to get rid of 4 of you by lunchtime anyway (or skimp on the road rides to cram in 2 lots in the afternoon, which is common enough).

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Be aware that the maximum ratio of trainees to instructors is 4:1 offroad, but only 2:1 on the road ride. So if you turn up and there's 10 of you to 3 instructors, they have to get rid of 4 of you by lunchtime anyway (or skimp on the road rides to cram in 2 lots in the afternoon, which is common enough).

That could be something worth asking the school about - how many they have on their courses. I don't know if it was because it was November when I started mine, but it was 1 instructor 2 students.

Could be good to get going ASAP, as whilst the weather is rubbish people won't be thinking about how nice it would be to ride a bike in summer, so training schools and test dates won't be full to capacity. Learning in poor conditions may not be the most pleasant thing, but is quite helpful - you won't be petrified of the first damp bend you come across if you were taught to ride on them.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
And I'm sure I'll be burned for asking this question. But if I've got zero experience on a bike and go to take my CBT, I guess it would depend how quick I get the hang of the gears and clutch control as well as actually being on a bike?

Should I expect a resit?
No reason why you can't do the CBT on a twist & go, you can still ride a geared bike afterwards. That's what I did since it takes the whole getting used to the gears thing out of the equation. Afterwards you could either get a geared 125 and get the hang of it yourself or book an hours lesson, which is all it takes.
Personally I got the CBT, rode a twist & go for a year, including the Enfield-Gt.Missenden runs, which it handled perfectly adequately, then did DAS.
I now ride a Fzs600 Fazer which is absolutely perfect for the sort of commute you do.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:06 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, sound advice.

Appreciate Tef's rant. Hammers home the reality of actually owning a bike.

Quote:
Ask about prices for further days. I felt that I really benefited from going back and doing the road-ride on a 2nd day. It didn't cost me any more, but that's entirely up to you and the training school to haggle out.

I'll check this out with one fo the local centres. Still no recommendations from anyone in Herts regarding where to learn on big bikes?

Quote:
No reason why you can't do the CBT on a twist & go, you can still ride a geared bike afterwards. That's what I did since it takes the whole getting used to the gears thing out of the equation. Afterwards you could either get a geared 125 and get the hang of it yourself or book an hours lesson, which is all it takes.
Personally I got the CBT, rode a twist & go for a year, including the Enfield-Gt.Missenden runs, which it handled perfectly adequately, then did DAS.
I now ride a Fzs600 Fazer which is absolutely perfect for the sort of commute you do.

I'm leaning towards the FZS600. Sounds reliable. Need to go and sit on one I guess.

But first, theory test & CBT. Then, if I'm still hooked, DAS. Then bike and gear shopping!!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
No reason why you can't do the CBT on a twist & go, you can still ride a geared bike afterwards.

For now, I doubt it will be that way for much longer, and rightfully so. Wifes brother got his CBT after 'passing'
on a scoot, his geared 125 has sat in the garage since last August, he got his CBT in July. Reason? Simply put,
he's scared of riding it. I'm waiting for it to come up for sale due to lack of use and I'll turn it into a pit bike.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2016/december/government-plans-new-licence-and-cbt-changes

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:54 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

another 'mature' beginner here... only just over 40 when tests done... and now couldn't go back to commuting by car. I'm doing 24 miles ish each way, and would rather put up with the rain on the bike than sit in sodding traffic.

just don't expect this to be cheaper than running a car. cost of lessons, tests, lid, textiles/leathers, gloves, boots and then bike (and then fuel, oil, tyres, chain/sprockets, insurance) it's not motoring for free. (although on a 100mpg 125cc it comes pretty close!) The initial outlay can seem daunting, so do it in stages, upgrading as your cheap shit wears out.
Keep an eye on eBay/Gumtree for people quitting bikes and off-loading gear. My Spada jacket has done me daily for over a year for £12

Without jumping on the Fazer bandwagon - I got mine relatively cheap (£1200 for an 03 plate) and it does everything I need. The FZS finished in 2003 though, so all of them will be getting on a bit. The FZ6 replaced it - FI rather than carbs I believe - and, no idea, never ridden one. When I passed the mod 2 I just searched eBay for hornet/fazer/bandit and got the nearest one in decent nick at a good price. Any bike is better than no bike! Thumbs Up

Edit: no idea about training near you. I did my CBT in Harlow and bigboybike in Letchworth. Would struggle to recommend either, and maybe a bit far from you anyways?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:21 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker_boy wrote:
Appreciate Tef's rant. Hammers home the reality of actually owning a bike.

It's a great contribution to road safety as well: Tef has put hundreds of potential casualties off of the idea of getting a bike.

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tempted to go with these guys. Lots of good, personal reviews.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/beaconmotorcycletraining/

and main website:
https://beaconmotorcycletraining.strikingly.com/

biker_boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:09 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have also been recommended https://horizonridertraining.co.uk/ in Milton Keynes.

Bit far for me though, however they do an all inclusive week course it seems. So might be worth it if they're good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2