Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet head sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:07 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Helmet head sets Reply with quote

As per title.
Am considering getting one purely for the purpose of mounting my iphone on the handlebars and using it as a navigation item. I have the Navmii app and it is fantastic, just need to hear what the nice lady is saying. I'm not interested in communications as 1) I don't carry a pillion and 2) I don't want to, or intend to, make or receive calls while I am riding a motorcycle. If any of my family want to contact me when I am out on the bike, they know to leave a message and I will call once/when I am off the bike.
23 years ago when I was despatching I did have a cheapo set which also had a mike, but while I could hear base when they called me they couldn't hear me when I tried to speak to them.....However, now I just want to hear what Lady Jane says in the Navmii. Will one of the Far Eastern headsets do? Anyone had experience of these lately?
TIA
Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth is good for this, as long as the one you get is properly waterproof (or you are a fair weather rider). Some of the recent Senas are notorious for failing in the wet (Sena don't even claim they are waterproof). My Interphone F5MC claims to be waterproof - and is, as long as you use silicone grease around all the connectors and replenish it regularly.

The issue with bluetooth is keeping it charged up. My headset has a claimed life of about 12 hours, but when really being used lasts about 7 - not enough for a full, hard day, so I need to plug it in whenever I stop.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Monkey Funk Cans are slim and bluetooth, they also have a mic for calls, but you dont have to answer.
You can also use them off the bike and not look a knob.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:58 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer. wrote:
In-ear phones.

Wow Fazer. Good idea, doh - I should have thought of that. So out of the box with my Apple ear phones, job done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:32 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For two way comms, Pete, the mounting of the headset makes FAR more difference than the headset itself. Both to performance & comfort.

In your despathing days, I dont know what hats you were wearing, but most were pretty dire for wind noise back then; and setting up hats for group rides or instructing, spent a lot of time messing with duck-tape making deflectors under the chin piece and the like to try and help, but? Get something to work half well, and swap bikes? Fairings or lack of, where a rider sat, how they sat? all influenced the insulation around the mik and earpiece.

A 'good' headset was a good start, but finding a good mic placement and burrying them in the lining and hiding the wires was key to making them work 'well'.

All immeterial to what you want now though.. but still.

Daughter is the i-phone jockey of the family... and double's up a pair of in ear walkman headphones in her hat, with the rider-pillion / bike-to-bike, so she can keep abrest of her tweets and whatever!

'Just' for sounds, that, the standard accessory headset, then would be my suggested starting point, maybe an extension if you have to run the wire further down sleeve.. Keep it simple!

WHY you would actually want another nagging woman telling you what to do when you have put a hat on, rather than be glad to get away from it, is a bit of a boggle, but still!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experimented with using standard earbuds - with a view to connecting them to a cheap'n cheerful bluetooth device in my pocket that would talk to my satnav - but only tried it the once. The earbuds protruded from my ears sufficiently to make it quite hard to get my helmet on; I had to pull it open to ease it over my ears with the buds in. The fun part was getting the bloody thing off afterwards though, as the buds then acted like two little lugs designed to prevent helmet removal, and I couldn't reach them with my fingers.

Bloody hurt, I can tell you!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapo BT Interphone ones for about £30 off ebay work fine. I know a few people that use them with no issues.

Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Bluetooth-Interphone-500M-BT-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Intercom-Headset-FM-/332013462971

My AGV lids are all bluetooth ready so they have the cutouts and velcro pads ready for the speakers etc. Easy and quick to fit, can listen to music from the phone (shift tracks with the jog wheel) and use navigation at the same time. Speakers are a little tinny but for some reason sound better if you have ear plugs in.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:37 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

WHY you would actually want another nagging woman telling you what to do when you have put a hat on, rather than be glad to get away from it, is a bit of a boggle, but still!

lolol! I do like the particular voice on the Navmii on the phone, also she doesn't give me half a dozen "at the next roundabout take the 2nd exit" within a few yards like the Tom-Tom or Garmin!

Back in the day Mike, my helmet was a standard Shoei. I currently have a Box which will allow the Apple ear speakers in OK.

Your input is valued!
Regards
Pete

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

I'll have you know that it costs a fortune in London to have a well-spoken lady order you around - it's free on the satnav!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 23 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Scala Rider Q1, i think there is a cheaper QZ that doesn't intercom. I use mine to listen to my tomtom (or google if my plans change when I'm out and about without it) and some music (google play instant mixes ftw) on the less interesting bits of road.

Earphones are quite slim, very loud (sounds balanced with earplugs, tinny without) Battery life is incredibly long. Two full days in the saddle with music wasnt enough to kill it, it's much longer if just on standby.

Can only store one phone number for instant access (triple tap the answer button) but I tend to pull over if someone phones and to make phone calls. Is useful to be able to call partner to say I'm heading over/stuck in traffic/ask if i need to go food shopping without getting phone out.

It's survived a wet winter and not failed so appears to be built adequately. I'm quite impressed.

The mounting is a bit crap though as it hangs below the rim of the helmet and catches on the oversize comedy epaulettes of my RST Tractech evo jacket if I am not careful.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1