30%  [ 29 ]
230kg +
28%
 28%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 95

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered the poll with the dry weight of my bike because you seem to be using the dry weight of your SV.

But then I noticed that the Versys weight you quote seems to the wet weight.

Might be useful to update the poll to clarify the question?

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:51 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike's a big, fat bastard (1250 Bandit) and weighs 250kg apparently.

A bit of a culture shock after my 179kg MT07.

But I only really notice when pushing it out of the garage and on the move a bit of weight is actually beneficial - it pretty much ignores bumps and crosswinds that would have lighter bikes all over the road.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I notice the weight (+260Kg) is pushing it backwards across a gravel driveway and up a ramp into the workshop. Momentum is both your friend and your enemy. Once you get it going it's fine. Let it catch you off guard and nothing will stop it going down, nearly broke my leg finding that out the hard way trying to stop it falling.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

In the saddle, EVEN if you can flat-foot both sides and naively believe that is an advantage.... it isn't.

Crap. The ability to flat foot both feet is confidence inspiring and means you have better stability on your bike whenever stopped.

When you are learning confidence is really important and doing a tippy toe balancing act on a bike does not inspire any.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

312kg with panniers, so not as heavy as OP's mum.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from a 954 FireBlade and old style CB500, which both weigh about 200kg wet give or take 5kg, to the CBF1000 which is a lardy old 250kg+

On the move the extra weight is beneficial, combining with the typically Honda handling to give a planted and confidence inspiring ride.

Weight distribution is important on a bike. My CBF feels a bit top heavy, especially with a good solid top box filled with laptop and tools. I've almost been caught out a couple of times stopping at junctions with a tiny bit too much angle and had to strain to stop it going over. However the NC750S I had as a loan bike recently felt much lighter than its claimed 217kg because it has such a low centre of gravity.

The seat height is adjustable on the CBF so I set it to best match my leg length. I paddle backwards out of my shed because there's not enough room to stand beside the bike through the door and getting both feet to the floor is critical to getting the traction to do that. And I personally feel happier knowing I can get both feet down on a bike. I had a test ride on the Tracer 900 and while it was a great bike and lighter than the CBF I was uncomfortable with the seat height.

Footwear grip is important too. My Sidi boots appear to have a sole made from Teflon which are particularly shite in the wet. I have a set of ice spikes on stretchy rubber webbing that go over the boot for when its properly slippery. Only needed them once a few weeks ago when freezing fog had covered my whole patio in half a mm of ice.

Never had to lift the CBF1000 into a van, but that's not much fun with a proper heavy weight. A mate and I put his 320kg+ Moto Guzzi California in a transit to go to the TT a couple of years running. The other bikes we took (CBR600F and Ducati 450 Desmo) felt like toys in comparison.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Crap. The ability to flat foot both feet is confidence inspiring and means you have better stability on your bike whenever stopped.

When you are learning confidence is really important and doing a tippy toe balancing act on a bike does not inspire any.

I'd disagree with that actually. I could flat foot a CBF1000 and was still scared of putting it into neutral at traffic lights, it was that top heavy. The MT-03's only an issue when on a camber (I'm on tiptoes with it).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a website about motorcycles not about how much of a pussy you are. A fair few of you need to mtfu.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This , being PC about women in advertising and metrosexuals. BCF needs a heathy dose of Male Chauvinistic Pigism Thumbs Up

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:48 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It's all about the leverage. Higher the handlebars are, easier the manipulation with the motorcycle is. Thumbs Up

"Give me a place to stand and I will move the Goldwing"
- Archimedes

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually lift the 50cc up and carry it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It's all about the leverage. Higher the handlebars are, easier the manipulation with the motorcycle is. Thumbs Up

https://themusicalfruit.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ape-hangers.jpg Thinking
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:45 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Pah; I can do that with my 60+hp 500cc bike!

Razz

(And my strength sucks at the mo - haven't done weights for a couple of years Sad.)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh people should ride whatever they're comfortable with. Some people don't like heavy bikes, some people don't like being unable to flat foot, some people don't mind less than whatever BCF considers a manly amount of horsepower.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that OP should ride a big, heavy bike - just that discounting an otherwise good bike because it's a bit heavy is silly.

Mrs Bamt did have to change from her Bandit as it was too heavy for her to push around, so I get that heavy bikes can be a pain.

I was out riding her 250 Virago yesterday. Loads of fun, even if I can flat-knee it as the seat is so low. Every time I ride it I think I should get a little engined bike too, just one that is physically a bit bigger.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're comparing the dry weight of your SV to the wet weight of the versys. The actual difference with a full tank is much less as the SV is closer to 200kg with fuel. SV and ER6 weight about the same. I didn't feel and out big difference between my ER6 and the versys. It is much taller though.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from 105kg > 179kg > 260kg. Didn't affect me at all and it was quite easy, then again I do manual work for a living not working in an office. And yes I've lifted all three up before anyone asks. Then again if you look at the pink ribbon link that's in new rider section you will see it's not that hard.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/euro2015%202/4%2063_zpsmssufnyq.jpg
https://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/bcfeurojolly2014/euro2015%202/4%2062_zpsrdmpk3ps.jpg

Remember when we did this?

Big, long, heavy (250kg) ZX12 got round all those stupid tight twisty bits including the Stelvio Pass with no problems. The weight wasn't an issue. Fuel consumption yes, lack of a decent steering lock possibly. Don't stress about the weight, just find the bike that's right for you and go for it. You will get used to it quicker than you think Thumbs Up

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback guys Karma
The poll result alone speaks volumes to my perception of a "heavy" bike.

Lesson Learned - Ride the bike ignore the stats
Demos book for next week Thumbs Up

Cheers

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Stroms?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 600 bandit. I've also got ME which means my muscles don't work properly. Is a relatively heavy bike a problem? No. It doesn't go through garden gates and similar as easily as smaller bikes, but pushing it around is ok. It's piss easy to get on the centre stand if you know how.

The trick to any bike is avoid having to push. If you're going to have to go backwards to get in or out of a parking space, choose to roll downhill.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Pah; I can do that with my 60+hp 500cc bike!

Razz

(And my strength sucks at the mo - haven't done weights for a couple of years Sad.)

Prove it! Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRwQilM6UU

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:58 - 25 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away at the moment unfortunately... and the GPs has told me to allow my shoulders to recover I'm not even allowed to use an static exercise bike Sad... however will do when I next get a chance Smile.

To be fair, said bike, while complete; does do away with things like brakes, gears, rear suspension and so on Smile.
(Not my bike, but you get the idea.)
https://motocrossactionmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/speedwayjawa.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2