Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What if I lay hurt, hidden in a ditch and nobody knew?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Just wait a few years, Brussels will mandate them.

Not even JK, m8, mandatory for all new cars and light commercials from March 2018.

"MEPs also secured an obligation for the European Commission to assess, in the three years after spring 2018, whether eCall devices should be included in other vehicles, such as buses, coaches or trucks"

...or Motorrads, perchance.

Luckily (or unluckily dependant on your politics) what Brussels say won't matter anymore

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live on the edge of fen country, every year seemed to have a news story of some poor sob getting fished out of a ditch having been missing for some time

In fact there was a strong movement against mandatory use of seat belts in cars because of it.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a difference and difficult to define factor, between you or I out on an early Sunday ride in rural roads alone, where we might not be familiar with them, and as such we accidentally misjudge a bend, or come across an unexpected hazard or just poor obs while not trying to be a dickhead or twat.

Then there is the Sunday full race kitted hero out on his tweaked R1 who knows the rural roads well, deliberately seeks them out at quiet times, and knows the likely hazards as they use the roads alot when it's quiet, so that they can do 3figure speeds on twisty hill/mountain passes etc. They often know there can be several hundred feet of sheer drop off if they put a wheel over the tarmac onto the grass or gravel, but they don't care as they want to give a 180bhp superbike some serious throttle abuse, clutch up massive wheelies out of every bend and crest every blind crest at 120mph. Fast bikes style riding or TT racer wannabe etc.

I have zero sympathy for the second group, the mental crowd that are riding bikes too fast for the highway and in a way that's not only way into ban territory, but is dangerous for the public, and themselves if the slightest thing goes wrong or they run out of talent that one time they are doing 5mph more round the same bends trying for a PB etc. I wouldn't if I had the say want to send up air ambulance choppers to pick them up or the police to fetch their body parts from the road side.

Say an early morning farmer is pulling out of his field with a tractor and trailer onto a 60mph hilly mountain road, when all of a sudden an R1 comes howling round a bend and into view at 130mph on the back wheel. Not exactly the farmers fault there for the fatality is it?

I've ridden out with nutters in the past, and seen people ride roads like the Horseshoe pass like it's their personal race track, and I used to know a guy with a CBR 1100XX that would always try to hit 180mph on a short bumpy cattle grid length of straight every time he went out there on the bike.

If you can't enjoy twisty narrow rural roads at or below 60-80 mph I think your doing it wrong. I have no problem with speed, I mean empty A roads and motorways at night are almost begging for 3figure speeds when it's quiet/late at night etc.

But there's never a good reason for 120mph on narrow single track mountain roads where anything could be around the next blind bend, just so you can feel a bit Joey Dunlop inside at 6am on a sunny Sunday morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Um or you could tell somebody what you're doing. Unlike say Aron Lee Ralston. If he had simply told somebody where he was going then they might have been concerned after not turning up later that day.

Wouldn't make a lot of difference telling someone to be honest.
I've told the missus that I was going out for a wee bit and ended up doing a 300 mile round trip instead.
And recently in Scotland a couple drove off motorway, someone reported it to coppers and they did not find them for three days with an inevitable outcome.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Tungtvann that died like that. In Ichy's case it was a heart attack, I believe (although may be wrong).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:45 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
Luckily (or unluckily dependant on your politics) what Brussels say won't matter anymore

We'll be following Brussel's diktats for decades to come, particularly ones to do with "safety", and with the common market.

If they mandate eCall for bikes, we will too. I wouldn't have any illusions that we'll be receiving US spec Freedom-bikes the moment we finalise the divorce (if we ever do).

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
My biketrac system has bike down function, if the bike goes down it sends alerts to specified contacts. Alerts might be sent through gsm though, should probably find out

* edit: will breadcrumb like mentioned below

I've got one of those; if you tip over then a signal is sent back to the 'control centre' via satellite, and a message sent from there.

So if you drop the bike or crash, your mum calls you to further compound the problem Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
My biketrac system has bike down function, if the bike goes down it sends alerts to specified contacts. Alerts might be sent through gsm though, should probably find out

* edit: will breadcrumb like mentioned below

As does mine. It alerts me regularly that I've had a bike down incident - so far all spuriously. Seems pointless as they don't tell anybody else, even the other contact details they've got for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2