Police knocking down bike theives

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Slightly off topic - I thought modern smart phones could be locked out remotely? Do the crims just reflash them or summat?

They can be, but also they are snatching them out of people's hands when they are on a call or texting, some (really stupid) phones don't require a pass confirmation for the factory reset.

I noticed in the comments that an officer said they'd love to do a TPAC course which is the tac pursuit training. It's likely they're only allowed to engage in this manner if they've done it and maybe more training is being made available?

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 10 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Unfortunately it's adults that are annoying me, and they don't have the same habit of unpredictability running out into the road.

I beg to differ.

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 12 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to start doing it more often

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:12 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
but when it comes down to it, if it's reasonable for Dibble to smash in some pedboi's back door, it's reasonable for you or me to do it too under the same circumstances, with the same knowledge and beliefs that it's necessary for the reduction of harm.

But the big difference is the training and experience the police have in saying and not saying the right things at the appropriate moments.

All the best

Katy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or at least insofar as what reaches to be enshrined in their notebook.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:58 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
notebook.

Oldskool... they got video and data recorders in, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blowpipe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a start.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/criminal-who-knocked-scrambler-police-12611183

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 19 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Slightly off topic - I thought modern smart phones could be locked out remotely? Do the crims just reflash them or summat?

For google's track/lock/erase to work, mobile data is required. Ripping the sim out or just turning off all data whilst you fiddle is sufficient to disable that. Eldest child's moto E needed a factory reset and required feeding it the details of an account that was on it before it would onlock. Or 10 minutes with a usb cable.

IF you know your IMEI, network providers are supposed to shut the phone off the network if you report it stolen. I don't know if this works, but who knows their IMEI?

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

IF you know your IMEI, network providers are supposed to shut the phone off the network if you report it stolen. I don't know if this works, but who knows their IMEI?

which is all well and good if the handset remains in the uk. when its moved to a foreign land its fully usable again. theres a massive trade in stolen phones which go overseas.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2