Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Head circumference bigger than published helmet measurement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

mattyork
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Head circumference bigger than published helmet measurement Reply with quote

Hi folks, complete newbie to motorcycling and the forum so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I have recently bought a HJC IS-17 which essentially feels comfortable, if a little snug as generally seems to be the advice online and in the shop I bought from. However there is one issue that is causing me a little concern so I wanted to check people's thoughts on this.

I bought a Medium helmet, which the size chart says fits a 57-58cm head. However, when I measure my head circumference with tape measure, I come in at 60cm. Is it normal to have a head circumference slightly larger than the stated measurement of the helmet? Or is it likely that the helmet is too small? And is this dangerous? (Most advice on sizing seems to caution more about the dangers of helmets that are too big).

Thanks a lot for any advice.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fits, properly, as in you cannot rotate your head side to side or forwards and back inside the lid if you hold it, and can't get your hand up the back of your head, then it's fine.

As a rule of thumb (or head?) It's always much better to try a lid on for fit before you spend out for it. Sizing means very little as they can vary quite significantly in shape too - and fit is all important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snug is good - no need to worry.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:47 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fits it fits. I have a bit of a big nugget and it took me a while to find my perfect lid.

Interestingly enough, I had an old box helmet (40 quid) that was a 58 - 60cm. I then brought and couldn't get on with a HJC in a 62cm I think it was and then I got into an Arai in the end. My head measurement is 63cm. When I went to the shop to buy the Arai the guys gave me a monster 65cm Schuberth which just didn't fit right - was walking round the shop with it.

With a 63cm head there is no way a 60cm Arai should have fit and I said can I try it on more just to satisfy my urge to wear an Arai. Turns out it fitted like the proverbial Cinderella's slipper.

Anyway, heads are funny things. The helmet should feel snug but not like it is pressing into your head. It was an expensive mistake getting the HJC on the recommendation of the motorbike shop that it will break in and get looser. It never did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:05 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Head circumference bigger than published helmet measurem Reply with quote

mattyork wrote:
Or is it likely that the helmet is too small? And is this dangerous?

Is it too small or does it fit your head?

Really, you need to try lots of different lids on to find what lid fits you the best.

Because you've made this thread and you say that your lid "essentially feels comfortable", I'm pretty sure your lid doesn't fit you as well as others would. If you've not used the lid you've got yet, can you get a refund?

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circumference isn't everything. Heads vary in fore and aft vs. side to side dimensions and helmet sizes can't ever cope fully with these infinite variations.
I got an HJC 3 months ago which felt comfortable and snug in the shop with no undue pressure points. But after 30 minutes riding the front rim bears on my forehead, becoming seriously uncomfortable after an hour. I can get a bit of relief by making sure the liner pulls down in front of the rim, but it's not ideal and I think it's heading for the loft - shame, it's great otherwise.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:06 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B Button wrote:
I got an HJC 3 months ago which felt comfortable and snug in the shop with no undue pressure points. But after 30 minutes riding the front rim bears on my forehead, becoming seriously uncomfortable after an hour. I can get a bit of relief by making sure the liner pulls down in front of the rim, but it's not ideal and I think it's heading for the loft - shame, it's great otherwise.

Exactly the same issue with my HJC, my fivehead just doesn't agree with it. I walked around the shop with it on for 30 minutes while looking at other stuff but it wasn't until the windblast on the ride home exerted extra pressure on the front which caused headaches. It was getting to the point where it was seriously distracting.

In the end I cut/sanded a few millimetres of polystyrene from the front above the visor (inb4 you gon die etc) and it's far more comfortable which makes a safer helmet in my opinion.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never buy another HJC. Bought the CS-12 (I think, years ago now) for my first lid; it practically disintegrated after 12 months - top vent spring popped out, visor mechanism came loose and lost a plastic lug screw, breath guard warped and couldn't be refitted, stitching at back started to unpick itself and was scratching against my neck. Terrible, terrible lid.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size is a rough guide, but they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I am a medium with Arai but small with AGV. That's why you must try before you buy.

mattyork
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:47 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments, which have reassured me that the helmet is the correct size.

I did try on the helmet, and many others, and this one felt good. (I said it 'essentially felt comfortable' because, not having worn a full face helmet before I'm not used to the feeling and I can't be 100% sure - it feels snug but doesn't hurt like a Scorpion I tried which was obviously too small and really dug into my forehead in a painful way).

It was just the numbers that were alarming me - if my head is exactly 60cm and the measurement given on the helmet is 58, I was worried that I was squeezing into a lid that might be designed for something smaller than my skull. But it sounds like if it feels like it fits then it shouldn't matter that the number on the label is lower than the actual circumference of my head. Just like @SuperMike with his 60cm Arai and 63cm head.

Cheers all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1