Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stinky 1982 dr250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:14 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Stinky 1982 dr250 Reply with quote

Here it is.. just what i needed. Something to get up and down the hill to my house and wrangle up the horses when they get out of the fence. (Happens way too much)

I bought it for a good price( i thought), brought it home in my pickup, changed the oil, rode it for like 4 hours straight. Sore ass-- prison memories. anyways the bike ran great. really great for an old ass bike. rode it straight from the woods to the garage.

I believe it is the street model (dr250Z)? It had a cut off wiring harness ending at the triple tree.

The day after i rode it for 4 hours. i put a kill switch on it (per the wiring diagram)( P.O. was pulling decomp lever to kill it), tightened the chain. put a kickstart seal on it, washed it..... NOW it runs terribly.

Oh yeah i also drank alot of beer, and hammered on some metal to make a rear fender for it.

The "white bitch" surges on me bad at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I have used about 15 cans of carb cleaner trying to find air leaks. Adjusted needles. cleaned the carburetor at least 6 times. All new rubber o rings and carb bowl gasket.

I am completly stumped but i remaining positive. Since the one time i got mad i drop kicked the DR and broke the brake handle perch. Anger always makes things worse. I am glad to have her and will soon sort out her problems.

Last edited by iagtroop on 02:35 - 21 Feb 2017; edited 1 time in total

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:21 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: attachments Reply with quote

Why cant i post pictures? this is way too hard for someone from tennessee...

it just says no file selected each time i try to add attachment.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: attachments Reply with quote

iagtroop wrote:
Why cant i post pictures? this is way too hard for someone from tennessee...

it just says no file selected each time i try to add attachment.

I take it you are then hitting Choose file and then going to where you have saved the picture you wish to attach ?

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:36 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i did it? are they too big to see? I might make them smaller

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:37 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i did it? are they too big to see? I might make them smaller

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:43 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: The "White Bitches" mysterious carburetor Reply with quote

Another problem i have had throughout this dr250 journey is figuring out what type of carb she has. It is a mikuni.. it is a round slide... it is 34 mm.. I cant find one like it.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread any help ?

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dr350-250-picture-mod-thread.174648/

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:04 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy smokes!! thats a huge thread.

It will take me a long time to get through that so i will have to get back with you on that! Will probably be of great help though. thank you

One thing i didnt know before i bought this bike is that they changed ALOT after 1985. So anything concerning a newer dr250 or 350 will probably not be of much help to me.

There is really not a lot of info on the DRs from 1982 - 1985. kinda sad.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this:-

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr250-1982-z-usa-e03_model15948/partslist/

The carb is a VM28!
All the parts for your bike are listed there, might help you a bit.

Does the exhaust have any leaks? If the bike hadn't been run for a while, it may have disintegrated a bit if you thrashed the bike for a few hours.
Is the air filter intact and clean, is the airbox sealed properly and is the crankcase breather pipe intact?
What about the HT lead and coil?

Is the chain ok, you say you tightened it, are you sure there are no seized links/tightspots?

Posting pictures.
You need to host your photos somewhere, like photobucket or imagur, etc, use the links they give you in your post like this:

[img]Your image link here[/img]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:13 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's that decompressor? Cable doesn't look like it has much slack in it in your picture.

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah109/iagtroop/SDC10671_zpsspgqaeej.jpg[/img]

Thank you for the respnses!!! Okay i tried the photobucket thing with one picture... did it work?

See.. i have been looking at that diagram too but my carb is definitely a 34mm.. not a 28? If i am measuring in the right spot? Where the carb meets the rubber intake boot right?

Concerning the exhaust.. it definitely has leaks. Toward the back of the muffler was pretty mangled and dented and cracked when i got it. Air filter is very clean though, good crank breather tube.

The chain was just loose, probably worn out too. But the bike rolls just fine.

You may have to explain to me what the HT lead is? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks

Stinkwheel::::I think that decompressor cable is tight because i had just pulled it to kill it. I think that picture was before i put the kill switch in.

Might i add. This bike runs like a raped ape at 3/4- full throttle and idles fairly smoothly so i dont think i have anything majorly wrong. Maybe an airleak that i cant seem to find.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 21 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your photos worked!
You don't need the 'URL' part in the image link, if you quote this post, you'll see I've just used the link and the image tags

https://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah109/iagtroop/SDC10671_zpsspgqaeej.jpg

HT lead is the lead that connects the spark plug to the coil.
If its cracked or damaged probably worth replacing it, they're not expensive!

I used to have a DR600, until someone stole it!

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:08 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORD!!! Glad you can see it. Ill try to add some more. She is dirty and slow but i dont have to worry about it falling over or getting paw prints on the tank when my buddies ride with me.

So the HT lead looks great all the way to the plug boot. Seems like someone recently did a tune up on this bike. Air filter was clean,, rubber intake manifold boot looks brand new,, ht lead looks good,, spark plug looked good. But i replaced it anyways.

https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/iagtroop/media/SDC10669_zps4xght0il.jpg.html?o=4

The worst case scenario with this bike is i will have to buy a new mikuni 34mm round slide carb off ebay($83). Even though it doesnt look like the one that is on the white bitch now i may be able to change around some jets, get a new throttle cable, and make it work.... Maybe

Cant beleive someone stole your dr.... Crazy. This bike would be so easy to steal as it doesnt have key or battery or anything really... Did your 600 have a battery?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it did have a battery, it was all road legal.
It was an early model, the one that looked like a MX'er, no fairings. It looked pretty much like yours does, only a bit taller!
There was a definite knack to starting it, no electric foot! Mr. Green

If yours is stuttering at low revs/part throttle, but running well otherwise, have you checked the pilot air screw is in the correct position? The pilot air screw only affects 0 to 1/4 throttle opening and idling!

iagtroop
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:21 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks trying to tune a carb on this bike.. my leg gets sore by the end of the day.

I like the kick start no battery thing. Very simple. And i can still run a headlight off the magneto which is pretty cool. Free power.

Yeah ive checked the pilot screw and got an oem o-ring for it too. I dont know the starting setting for this carb but right now i have it about 1 1/4 out.I just found the fastest idle and stopped it there.

I dont know if it is common for the body of these to wear out but the bore doesnt seem extremely out of round or anything. The throttle shaft has some play in it but if i spray carb cleaner around it there doesnt seem to be an air leak.

https://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah109/iagtroop/SDC10669_zps4xght0il.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1